Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #321
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jonathan Goldstein's newest podcast Heavyweight is a real gem. If you're familiar with his work on This American Life or his 11 years on CBC Radio hosting WireTap definitely check this out. He's finished three seasons now, 23 episodes total, new season usually starts in October, but go through the back catalogue if you're looking for a new podcast.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #322
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Marc Maron's recent interview with Dave Letterman is maybe my favourite Letterman interview ever. Lots of talk about the early days at the Comedy Store. He's still friends with many of the comics from back then, except Jay Leno.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #323
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
If you're into science and specifically the universe I can't highly recommend enough the Infinite Monkey Cage. It's a panel based podcast with the two hosts, usually one or two relevant scientists and a comedian.

It's very british but the set up is phenomenal. It doesn't drone on like a lot of learning podcasts. They keep things fresh, upbeat at times comedic, but always on point. And they have covered so many of the topics people love to contemplate.

https://player.fm/series/the-infinit...y-cage-1301297
Yep...its one of my all time faves as well. Actually went to see Brian Cox and Robin Ince at the Jube last month. It was AWESOME. I've actually seen Cox talk twice and he is excellent, would highly recommend it if you get the chance.

My other podcasts are:
- Hardcore history, HH Addendum, & Common Sense, all by Dan Carlin
- SpyCast, International Spy Museum
- Inf. Monkey Cage, Brian Cox
- Criminal
- Revolutions
- Freakonomics, Stephen Dubner
- Intercepted, Jeremy Scahill
- Making Sense, Sam Harris
- Revisionist History, Malcolm Gladwell
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #324
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

One to add to your list above along the same lines is Against the Rules by Michael Lewis (author of moneyball and big short) and produced by Gladwells podcast company.

It discusses the role referees in the world and how refs are comprised in sports, courts and Wall Street. Really neat and well tied together.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #325
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Martin Short (considered by many hosts to be the best guest) on Conan this week.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #326
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
One to add to your list above along the same lines is Against the Rules by Michael Lewis (author of moneyball and big short) and produced by Gladwells podcast company.

It discusses the role referees in the world and how refs are comprised in sports, courts and Wall Street. Really neat and well tied together.
I’m kind of mixed on it, myself. I find some it amazing (the consumer lending episode for example), but the Flash Boys one was kind of meh.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #327
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Martin Short (considered by many hosts to be the best guest) on Conan this week.
There’s nobody funnier than Martin Short. I could listen to him all day.

I like how Conan picks on Matt Gourley. I’m a big fan of his podcasts (Superego, I Was There Too) and its hilarious how Conan found out about them because guests are constantly talking him up.

Sona is great too. She gives it as hard as she gets it. I think that’s the only way you can survive working with Conan for so long.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #328
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Crime Beat with Nancy Hixt is pretty fascinating. She covers infamous Calgary crime stories. Only complaint is she speaks at a news broadcasting speed, I don't think she realizes that podcast requires a bit more tempo.

Sounds like she's talking really slow for a child. But her experiences and the content are really fascinating if you're a Calgary resident.
This podcast is absolutely amazing. Great production.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #329
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone working in the O&G sector should listen to the ARC Energy Ideas by Peter Tertzakian and Jackie Forrest.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 06-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #330
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Crime Beat with Nancy Hixt is pretty fascinating. She covers infamous Calgary crime stories. Only complaint is she speaks at a news broadcasting speed, I don't think she realizes that podcast requires a bit more tempo.

Sounds like she's talking really slow for a child. But her experiences and the content are really fascinating if you're a Calgary resident.
I definitely recommend this podcast. Good production, plus some really in-depth info about high-profile investigations in Calgary. Really fascinating to hear some of the details that weren't known to the public at the time. There are even interviews with investigators, previously unreleased recordings, etc.

Although she does talk clearly and slowly, her pace doesn't really bother me. I'll give her some slack on that because she really brings a lot of experience and background info, and I'm quite impressed with the level of detail and access she is able to get.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #331
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Marc Maron's recent interview with Dave Letterman is maybe my favourite Letterman interview ever. Lots of talk about the early days at the Comedy Store. He's still friends with many of the comics from back then, except Jay Leno.
I like how he owned his shortcomings in that interview. Gave Leno tons of credit, even though they aren't on speaking terms.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #332
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Anyone working in the O&G sector should listen to the ARC Energy Ideas by Peter Tertzakian and Jackie Forrest.
Haven't heard yet, but I just ready some articles on their website. They look like a sound source, for people invested in the energy industry. Some of the smartest people I know are in that industry and have their heads completely in the sand.

These guys don't seem to be that, I'm looking forward to their prospective.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 PM   #333
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Yep...its one of my all time faves as well. Actually went to see Brian Cox and Robin Ince at the Jube last month. It was AWESOME. I've actually seen Cox talk twice and he is excellent, would highly recommend it if you get the chance.

My other podcasts are:
- Hardcore history, HH Addendum, & Common Sense, all by Dan Carlin
- SpyCast, International Spy Museum
- Inf. Monkey Cage, Brian Cox
- Criminal
- Revolutions
- Freakonomics, Stephen Dubner
- Intercepted, Jeremy Scahill
- Making Sense, Sam Harris
- Revisionist History, Malcolm Gladwell
Good list, haven't heard intercepted, and not so big on the Sam Harris, there was something self-helpy about it that didn't scratch my itch right..

I do like the philosophical abstractions but have different stuff on my subscribe list.
For Interview format:
Mind Scape with Sean Carroll,
Rationally Speaking with Julia Galef,
For more of a Historical Narrative:
Philosophize This!

If your into Historic Narratives, The History of English podcast
This is an out there recommendation for most I sure, pretty specific scope with already 60+ hours of content produced. Its about the history of the English Language, so far he has gone from the reconstruction of the Indo-European language up to the 14th century. The development and layering of languages together provides a pretty good back drop for a historical narrative and understanding how populations and cultures have changed over time.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #334
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

You nerds need to listen to this week’s Hollywood Handbook. They have Stephen Malkmus on and discuss things like the NY Times crossword, Trailblazers basketball, and if Blaze Pizza is like Chipotle.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 01:56 AM   #335
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
You nerds need to listen to this week’s Hollywood Handbook. They have Stephen Malkmus on and discuss things like the NY Times crossword, Trailblazers basketball, and if Blaze Pizza is like Chipotle.
Love Hollywood Handbook, and Stephen Malkmus for that matter. Didn't listen to it yesterday but I'm looking forward to it. The Boys have been on a decent run lately.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:15 AM   #336
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Have people here listened to any of the Canadaland podcasts?

I'm not the biggest fan of the flagship show, but they have two others, Commons and Oppo which are really decent.

Commons focuses on different Canadian social and political topics from season to season and is currently looking at specific instances of the oil industry in Canada. Previously it episodically delved into political corruption around the country.

Oppo is hosted by journalists Jen Gerson and Justin Ling. In it they argue about different political topics from different sides of the spectrum. The discourse is intelligent, funny and critical. It's refreshing to hear a high level of nonpartisan debate these days.

On similar note, the most recent season of CBC's Uncover is really good. It was hosted by the guy from Oppo and is a look at the murders in Toronto's gay village. It starts most recently with the Mcarthur madness and looks at the string of unsolved murders in the decades preceding his slayings. It goes deeper, looking at the relationship between the cops and the gay community and the history of activism. Definitely worth checking out.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #337
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charsiu View Post
Have people here listened to any of the Canadaland podcasts?

I'm not the biggest fan of the flagship show, but they have two others, Commons and Oppo which are really decent.
The main show - Jesse can get on your nerves abit, and expresses the most extreme version of is opinions unapologetically, but I like him because he will listen to different ideas and jump on the opportunity to admit he was wrong or update his priors.

I've only listened to a few episodes of commons, and I find the format hard to listen to, they express the same excess of confidence in their own opinions without considering the obvious gaps in their position. It strips them of credibility for me.

Oppo I haven't listened to yet.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 AM   #338
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Just finished listening to Against the Rules by Michael Lewis (The Big Short, Moneyball, etc). Really well done. It's about the decline of "referees" and fairness in the USA.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #339
Sheva #7
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

any tips as to some good podcast relating to buying stocks/stock tips?
Sheva #7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #340
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva #7 View Post
any tips as to some good podcast relating to buying stocks/stock tips?
I’ll help you out totally here; don’t do it! Taking stock tips from a podcast would be insane and you might as well go to Vegas. If it will also help, don’t take them off Facebook, Twitter or other social media either.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote