Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Dog peeing on your lawn advice

Hi Cp’ers

Anybody have any ideas on how to prevent dogs from peeing on your lawn along the city sidewalk? All the work, time, effort and money poured into having a nice lawn only to have a bunch of dead grass along the front of your property. To make things even more tricky, i have a street light on my property. It’s that streetlight area where the damage is the worst.

I’m just looking for ideas other than a fence or sign that would probably get pee’d on anyway. Anybody have any success?

Spare me the sad cliche “stay off my lawn“ jokes that’s so 80’s and not even relevant to this thread. Come up with something new that’s funny at least so we could all have a laugh.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't think you can stop it. Water that area more, and fertilize it less. Too much nitrogen is what is killing the grass.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Plant hedges around the perimeter of your lawn. Hedges are awesome for keeping dogs and cats out.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Motion triggered sprinkler aimed at the height of a persons face.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A well placed shot of rock salt stopped me from ever peeing on people’s lawns again so maybe something around that would work for you.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=179320
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a poor time to implement Gun control...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the suggestion of extra watering is a good one. And I have seen a small wire fence do the trick for some of the owners who are fastidious about having a perfect lawn.

Obviously the OP does not walk a dog along the street. Nowadays a large percentage of people walk dogs, and the attitude is usually give and take i.e. I won't complain if you don't complain. Also the narrow strip of land, that the dog pees on, is owned by the city, and IMO the pee marks don't really detract all that much from the owners property.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He said it was on his property. I have never allowed dog to pee or #### on someone else’s property. The city property yes.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #10
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
He said it was on his property. I have never allowed dog to pee or #### on someone else’s property. The city property yes.
Most people assume that the left over from the road allowance is their property even though technically it is the cities. It is pedantic to make arguments that a dog being on the firsts 7-8 feet is peeing on city property because then the OP could just change is statement to

The property that is the cities in front of my property which I am responsible for taking care of has a problem with dogs peeing on it. What should I do?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #11
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed in Vancouver people putting a strip of that orange fencing flat on their grass for the first few feet. I'm not sure why exactly but my theory is to keep dogs off of it. I don't know if it looks better with this or not, but it's something.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #12
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Most people assume that the left over from the road allowance is their property even though technically it is the cities. It is pedantic to make arguments that a dog being on the firsts 7-8 feet is peeing on city property because then the OP could just change is statement to

The property that is the cities in front of my property which I am responsible for taking care of has a problem with dogs peeing on it. What should I do?
I assumed most people knew that the area between the road and sidewalk belonged to the city. When the OP said the street light was on his property, I thought it was on his front lawn.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #13
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Small picket fence?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #14
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a high-powered slingshot and sit in front of my house and yell, “HEY, get off my lawn,” then I let ‘er rip with stones I’ve gathered for that purpose.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I have a high-powered slingshot and sit in front of my house and yell, “HEY, get off my lawn,” then I let ‘er rip with stones I’ve gathered for that purpose.
Initially I thought you were joking and this is hilarious.

But then I thought....you might not be. Which is better.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #16
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a dog a owner, honestly having a little sign is enough. Sometimes your not thinking about it, or your heads in your phone, and before you realize your dog has peed on someones bush or something. But even a little sign at the front of the yard that pleasantly says "please keep dogs off grass" or something is usually enough of a reminder to stop them before they get going.

Won't stop everyone. But most people aren't jerks. Theyre just not paying attention.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #17
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
As a dog a owner, honestly having a little sign is enough. Sometimes your not thinking about it, or your heads in your phone, and before you realize your dog has peed on someones bush or something. But even a little sign at the front of the yard that pleasantly says "please keep dogs off grass" or something is usually enough of a reminder to stop them before they get going.

Won't stop everyone. But most people aren't jerks. Theyre just not paying attention.
Sorry coach. I was writing this more on the dog walker's responsibility and not the homeowner's. And misunderstood that you were giving the homeowner a suggestion.

So if there's no sign, pee away? Absolutely not. I'm a dog owner and I know to try to not let my dog go on people's lawns. If you're not paying attention, what's a sign going to do?

Last edited by chedder; 05-17-2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Misunderstood
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #18
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just giving a suggestion.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #19
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I'm just giving a suggestion.
Sorry coach. I was writing this more on the dog walker's responsibility and not the homeowner's. And misunderstood that you were giving the homeowner a suggestion.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #20
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I had a dog we bought some fertilizer from the garden centre that is designed to keep dog pee from burning the lawn. I don't know what it's called but maybe give a garden centre a call and see if they have a product. It seemed to work for us.