Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #941
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plan for AEW is touring TV starting in October, at which point they'll just do quarterly major shows on PPV.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #942
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

even though tonights, stomping ground wasn't a bad PPV by any stretch, and had some solid matches, the WWE is really running into a real disconnect with its fan base

https://twitter.com/user/status/1142999744936960000

Cruiserweight Championship -- Drew Gulak def. Akira Tozawa (via pinfall) and Tony Nese (c) to win the title

The shame is this was a pre show matchup. But it was off the charts as far as a cruise weight match goes and Drew Gulak is an amazing talent

4/5 stars

Raw Women's Championship -- Becky Lynch (c) vs. Lacey Evans via submission to retain the title

Strange match to start a PPV with. But the bottom line is that Lacey is way too green to be in a title match and there were a ton of sloppy moments in this matchup as well. Becky also wasn't at her best, there was just no emotion or fire from her. It doesn't help that she's now gone from being the man to being Seth Rollins' girlfriend, which is a weird thing to promote unless they're setting up a mixed tag team against Charlotte and Andrade. Lacey has a ton of charisma but he's just not ready for the push that she's getting and that's not her fault

2/5 stars

Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn def. The New Day via pinfall

This was a fun little match with no build up, and all of the competitors had great energy and chemistry. Kevin Owens is so under utilized by the WWE and Sami Zayn is a awesome perfomer. Just a solid fun midcard match

3/5 stars

United States Championship -- Ricochet def. Samoa Joe (c) via pinfall to win the title

Unbelievable high speed matchup with some great story telling. Samoa Joe just makes things look brutal and nasty and Richochet is the perfect combination of athlete and seller to make him look like the underdog cutting down a tree. This was a seriously fun match with a great result

4/5 stars

SmackDown Tag Team Championship -- Daniel Bryan & Rowan (c) def. Heavy Machinery via pinfall to retain the titles

This was a match that was better then it should have been, but that's because all of the competitors completly sold themselves out to make this good to the point of tucker doing moon saults and splashes to the outside of the ring. The crowd cheered for Bryan early because he's the home town and the crowd was chanting things like "We recycle" and "Drive a Prius" Daniel Bryan is the king of making everyone around him better.

4.5/5 stars

SmackDown Women's Championship -- Bayley (c) def. Alexa Bliss via pinfall to retain the title:

After watching the WWE 365 special after the PPV about Alexa Bliss you can't help but cheer for her return from multiple concussions and her desire to return to the ring. I kept waiting for Bliss to turn on Nikki who played the good friend to Bliss on multiple occasions before costing her the match. Bliss seems to still be tentative in the ring and this was more of a ground game match with a lot of arm wrestling and punch/kick. Bayley was almost trying to be the man as the angry face here, but I don't know if it worked. Also the Bayley to Belly is a bad finishing move and Bayley is terrible at it, she's no Magnum TA.

2.5/5 stars

Roman Reigns def. Drew McIntyre via pinfall

Look I have a lot of problems with Shane McMahon as the top heel in the company to the point where its ridiculous and his continual interference in the match did nothing to help McIntyre who's gone from main event push to incompetent henchman who needs Shane's help. Its just awful booking, and this feud continues with a Reigns vs Dew and Shane handicapped match on Raw. But this story line is everything that's wrong with WWE booking at the moment

1/5 stars

WWE Championship -- Kofi Kingston (c) def. Dolph Ziggler via door escape to retain the title (Steel Cage Match)

I thought that this should be the match of the night. But it was low intensity and plodding for a cage match, and worse still for a WWE Championship match, and that's on the two performers. I love Kofi, but frankly his run has to end, he's a fan service champion but he's been laying a lot of stinkers lately and I don't think Dolph cares much anymore, not that he ever really did. The ending was creative but couldn't save a surprisingly boring cage match

2/5

Universal Championship -- Seth Rollins (c) def. Baron Corbin via pinfall to retain the title

The long awaited special guest referee was Lacey, but this was the typical heel ref match with changing conditions and there's nothing new here. Of course they had to have Becky come out and beat up Lacey and then promote that Seth and Becky are an item. I think the WWE writers are too connected to social media and we're getting Snakes on a plane hot shot panicked booking which is what happened in the dying days of WCW. Look I think that Seth is an awesome athlete and wrestler, but he just is a second tier guy in terms of charisma. Baron is talented but he needs someone with charisma to carry him. This was really a Raw main event match and not a PPV main event match.

2/5 stars

Look at the end of the day this was a fun little ppv but it was really carried by the early matches more then anything else. The big matches with big performers could be best described as lacking. The WWE really on further notice avoided showing the whole arena and now we know why. The WWE has a real problem now that's probably reflecting in their network subscriptions and ticket sales. With AEW seemingly having all kinds of momentum, the WWE really needs to reshuffle their cards and talent and their booking just has to be better. It doesn't help that a few wrestlers tonight looked like they were going through the motions, Zigglar, Dew, Seth, and Becky among them.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #943
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Look I think that Seth is an awesome athlete and wrestler, but he just is a second tier guy in terms of charisma.
Didn't see the PPV but I disagree. I think he's handicapped by WWE's ####ty writing and insistence on making sure everyone tries to sell t-shirts during their promos.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:01 PM   #944
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

From a live attendance perspective WWE is in trouble.

The TV deals and network revenue will keep them going but they they just can’t draw to live events anymore.

Even Royal Rumble which was is a premier PPV I was able to get buy 1 get 1 free tickets on the floor 3 weeks before the event.

And the biggest concern for them was that somebody like me who’s been a lifetime fan didn’t leave that show going “Oh that was awesome I need to do a major PPV again”, I left it going “That was cool but too long”

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-23-2019 at 11:04 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #945
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

More on the low attendance at last nights ppv

https://lordsofpain.net/backstage-ne...al-attendance/

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #946
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for your PPV review CC, insightful as always.

Vince's grasp on reality continues to erode (also from Lords of Pain):

"As noted before, Vince McMahon reportedly handed down an edict in last Monday’s pre-RAW production meeting that said there will be no more wrestling during RAW and SmackDown TV commercial breaks. The idea is that you can have a match that goes through the commercial break, but there can’t be any actual wrestling during the break. They are going with the idea that that legitimate pro sports don’t play their contests during breaks, so WWE is adjusting their match presentation.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #947
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny how history repeats itself. I went to a WCW Nitro taping in LA once and I remember a Kevin Nash matchup against some jobber, and when the light went out on the camera both wrestlers went to their own seperate corners, it was the dumbest thing ever.

Of course Chris Jericho took full advantage of a commercial break when he was reading his list of 1001 holds and during a commercial break he spent the dead time riling up the audience and when the camera turned back on he was still reading the list.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #948
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I seem to recall in the early 2000's that commerical breaks were local promo time.

At the Raw in Halifax, Bishoff went on a rant about how Canada sucks and is nothing but the 51st state. He got massive heat, and transitioned into the storyline promo effortlessly.

Then when I watched the recording of Raw, no mention of Canada, or the like. All happened during a commerical break.

Why not have the heel come out, start to walk to the ring, but to commerical. Come back to either the hell promo or face entrance?

That doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #949
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jumping jesus run and don't walk to tonights episode of NXT

Spoiler!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #950
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is something I never expected in 2019.

Quote:
WWE has named Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff as Executive Directors, Sports Illustrated has learned.

Heyman is set to become Executive Director of Monday Night Raw, while Bischoff will fill the same role for SmackDown Live. Both will report directly to WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon.
https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/06...-vince-mcmahon
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #951
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Isn't this what got Heyman in trouble and pretty much fired last time?

Old 06-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #952
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #953
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reeks of Oilers level desperation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #954
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I can see this working out, especially if they get the same freedom that HHH gets in NXT.

Okay, I can see Heyman working out....

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #955
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Leg up for Bischoff - he knows how to give crusierweights main show TV slots. I see guys like Buddy Murphy and Ali excelling under his creative direction. No doubt he probably sees this as a redemption opportunity. Plus Vince will probably be watching pretty closely and dumb things will be overruled. Plus there is no Vince Russo to destroy everything this time.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #956
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can "Oklahoma" be far behind?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #957
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

In all actuality, we will see if Bischoff can do this without the noose that is Hulk Hogan around his neck.

That early 90s wcw product was pretty solid.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 06-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #958
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

In all actuality, we will see if Bischoff can do this without the noose that is Hulk Hogan around his neck.

That early 90s wcw product was pretty solid.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 06-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #959
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bischoff has a very good eye for talent, and he showed that he can build a really solid under and mid card. His problem was that he got drunk with power in WCW and seduced by Hogan's and Halls and Nash's BS and because of that the main even scene was a train wreck.

I'm more interested in how Heyman does, I would expect if he has any kind of power, we're going to see the end of scripted promo's to be replaced by here's your point promo.

In both the Rhonda rousey and Alexa Bliss specials they showed them interacting with Heyman, and he's brilliant. If you watch the Stone cold Pod cast with Heyman the most facinating segment involves . . . the sleeper hold.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #960
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Just an FYI for those that don't know, or perhaps forgot.

AEW's Fyter Fest is this evening, and is free to stream on B/R Live:

https://live.bleacherreport.com/wres...ter-fest/66422

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: