Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2024, 07:40 PM   #201
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
If you're a fan of the original 1987 Robocop movie, there's a 4-part documentary series called "Robodoc" that came out recently. I just finished watching the 2nd episode and it's really good so far. Easily one of the most exhaustive docs I've ever seen on the making of a movie. Tons of rare behind the scenes stuff and great interviews with the entire cast and crew.

Well worth checking out if you grew up watching it like I did.

So I'm just starting E4 the final episode. Paul Verhoeven is a maniac.

It is so, so funny, I love it! All of the Cast and Crew are telling all of these insane stories about how this guy is genuinely unhinged....and how much they all loved it.

They couch it in the guise of being passionate of his craft, and I can appreciate that to a point, but make no mistake about it...that man is nothing short of a proper lunatic.

My God...the 80s must have been wild. You cant possibly do these kinds of things in Cinema production anymore.

Where is Gala? Have you seen this kind of thing in your career? I don't think you could get away with this kind of thing anymore. These stories are unreal.

I thought they had a Union.

"What are you guys doing here? Filming a movie? Really? You practically launched a sub-urban Dallas Gas Station into orbit!"

*shrugs*

So amazing.

They're telling the locals to GTF away and the actors are looking at each other like:

"Its not safe for them from 100 yards away? But we're right here tho..."

Verhoeven: "Ja! Ja! Make ze explosion!!"

That guy was 100% out his goddamned mind.

Wild stuff man. Wild, wild stuff.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 08:14 PM   #202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-20-2024, 08:18 PM   #203
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Melodysheep on Youtube is probably the neatest space video channel out there. Highest quality videos with tons of research presumably. I'm not a "space guy" but their videos are visually some of the most stunning stuff to watch. I haven't watched this yet but it's 2 hours long and is sure to be a treat.

bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 09:35 PM   #204
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not going to lie, I thought it was an interesting premise and I was intrigued to learn more about it, but I'm struggling to get past the first half-hour.

How do people listen to Alex Jones and somehow take that clown seriously? Accidentally?

I mean? 'False Flag Operation' in order to take away guns?

Who in their right mind would believe that BS? Thats the dumbest s### I've ever heard coming from arguably the dumbest idiot I've ever seen.

Alex Jones is someone who has grown up in an environment where he hasnt been smacked across the face sufficiently and told to 'smarten up.'
There is another documentary that came out this week which is very interesting and along the same thread as the Alex Jones one. It is called An American Bombing: The Road to April 19 and was produced by Katie Couric. It hits on the right wing uprising in the 80s which led to things like Waco Texas and the Oklahoma City bombing.

I never realized how interesting and consequential the date April 19 is.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:57 PM   #205
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Independent filmmaker Levi Holwell from Calgary directed “Magic Hours”, a documentary which looks at a few movie houses in small communities in Alberta, including the Wales Theatre in High River.

Magic Hours is a wistful invitation into the world of struggling independent movie theatres across Alberta. Meet the passionate business owners reviving, re-inventing and sometimes letting go of these once vital community spaces.

Watch 'Magic Hours' for free on CBC Gem, starting on Friday March 22, 2024.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:19 PM   #206
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll definitely check out Magic Hours, love that kind of stuff.

I must throw out another mention for the Alex Jones documentary, it was so unbelievable and frustrating to watch. Would love to hear others' thoughts.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:26 AM   #207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was mentioned in another thread, but since its essentially a Travel Documentary I'll include it here, it has dropped on HBO MAX.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:28 AM   #208
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rich ass celebrity goes on curated vacation is getting to be a pretty stale genre.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:51 AM   #209
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could go into the Accounting thread too, but at one point Conan pretends to be a Viking (not a spoiler it was in the trailer) but he says that his mother was an Estate Attorney and so he was forged in fire!!

He's not wrong. That is a rough, rough job. I bitch about Tax Accounting but I can commiserate with Estate Attorneys...oof...that is a tough gig.