Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Computer to Home Theater

I’m currently developing my basement, and I wanted to wire my computer to my home theater systems (main floor and basement). I want whatever is visible on my computer screen to display on my TVs (1080p resolution), along with the computer sound.

Video
What kind of video card am I looking for? I'm guessing it has to have the multiple output displays? Can you sync all those displays to show the same thing? What type of connections would I use, VGA, HDMI, Display Port? I noticed many of those video cards don't have 3 HDMI outputs, are you suppose to split the signal?

Sound
Can you get sound cards have multiple outputs (3)? Or do I need to split the sound somehow?

Keyboard and Mouse
Can you get a keyboard & mouse that works over a far distance?
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can use a VGA or DVI to HDMI connection but the best is to use an HDMI connection so look for a video card with an HDMI connection as it will also give sound. Some will do digital sound so the best bet is to run it through your audio receiver if your receiver accepts HDMI otherwise use a toslink or a digital co-ax from your motherboard to your receiver.

Unless your monitor is the same resolution as your TV, it's best to not use duplicate displays. Just use extend display to the TV and set separate resolutions. It's easy to drag your window from one monitor to the other.

I have a cheap Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard (EX90) which will go through walls.

You may want to set your TV to game or graphic mode to prevent your TV from over scanning.

To change the audio output of your motherboard or graphics card just right click on your speaker icon and click playback devices and choose your poison.

Oh yeah, for a video card maybe look at the ATI cards with a Display port. It will handle three monitors or TVs with a Display Port adaptor.

Last edited by Vulcan; 01-21-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
You can use a VGA or DVI to HDMI connection but the best is to use an HDMI connection so look for a video card with an HDMI connection as it will also give sound. Some will do digital sound so the best bet is to run it through your audio receiver if your receiver accepts HDMI otherwise use a toslink or a digital co-ax from your motherboard to your receiver.

Unless your monitor is the same resolution as your TV, it's best to not use duplicate displays. Just use extend display to the TV and set separate resolutions. It's easy to drag your window from one monitor to the other.

I have a cheap Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard (EX90) which will go through walls.

You may want to set your TV to game or graphic mode to prevent your TV from over scanning.

To change the audio output of your motherboard or graphics card just right click on your speaker icon and click playback devices and choose your poison.

Oh yeah, for a video card maybe look at the ATI cards with a Display port. It will handle three monitors or TVs with a Display Port adaptor.

Thanks for the information.

Sounds like I should be pulling HDMI cables in my house then. Since most cards don't have multiple HDMI outs, I'm guessing I will have to convert a DVI or Displayport with an adapter.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Was there a reason you are going with direct link from computer rather then a media server setup? Just curious as what your applications are going to be with it
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Ahh, HDMI will probably be outdated and replaced with something else in a few years. Any chance of putting PVC tubing through the ceiling/walls with fishing line or something running through it so you can always update the cabling as time goes on? Start with HDMI running through it, but there's no way the technology won't change over the next years to the point where HDMI will be like we would look at coaxial today. If I was finishing my basement that's what I'd do.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind that HDMI out of your PC may only carry video, especially if you're using a DVI to HDMI adapter. You'll still need to get your audio there by running that in parallel.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Keep in mind that HDMI out of your PC may only carry video, especially if you're using a DVI to HDMI adapter. You'll still need to get your audio there by running that in parallel.
The whole reason for HDMI over DVI is to carry audio, if it isn't working something is wrong.

but yeah, a DVI to HDMI won't usually carry audio but HDMI to HDMI connections should carry audio.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Ahh, HDMI will probably be outdated and replaced with something else in a few years. Any chance of putting PVC tubing through the ceiling/walls with fishing line or something running through it so you can always update the cabling as time goes on? Start with HDMI running through it, but there's no way the technology won't change over the next years to the point where HDMI will be like we would look at coaxial today. If I was finishing my basement that's what I'd do.
I'm going to run extra Cat5 from those location. I know some in A/V and they say almost anything can be done over Cat5 and suggested that.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Was there a reason you are going with direct link from computer rather then a media server setup? Just curious as what your applications are going to be with it
A couple of reasons. Working with my computer has more flexibility than something like an Apple TV would. I also want to browse sites and watch online videos that won't work those types of platforms (correct if I am wrong, but those technologies won't display everything properly).
Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

makes sense if you will be using the web browser alot! Run cat5e as cat5 will not handle everything but cat 5e and 6 will! also second the pvc tube if at all possible will be great for future proofing
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

order HDMI cables from monoprice. I have order 10+ of varying sizes and they all work at 100% quality. I am currently streaming a 15ft cable to my TV in another room and it works well for a couple bucks a cable.

I would order multiple at a time, watch the shipping changes with the weight/number of items. As long as you are willing to wait for a shipment then it is perfect.

There are some GREAT vid card deals on redflagdeals under forum > Comp > Vid cards under $50. sohuld have multiple HDMi outputs (havent seen 3 total so far though).
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
A couple of reasons. Working with my computer has more flexibility than something like an Apple TV would. I also want to browse sites and watch online videos that won't work those types of platforms (correct if I am wrong, but those technologies won't display everything properly).
That's true, but you can get a nettop HTPC for $300 that will do everything you want (provided you aren't planning on gaming).

I've run several different configurations of HTPCs and they're great, but the day it started being a real functional piece of my home theater and not something I was constantly tinkering with was the day I put a dedicated HTPC in my A/V stand.

I built one for about $400 and used a real HTPC case cause I intended to use it for gaming originally:

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 01-21-2011 at 02:38 PM.
MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
I'm going to run extra Cat5 from those location. I know some in A/V and they say almost anything can be done over Cat5 and suggested that.
This is what I would do. Make a run of DVI / HDMI + whatever audio you are using (digital or whatever), and then pull a bunch of cat5e/6 through and don't terminate. Actually, the PVC pipe or some other type of conduit isn't bad either. You could do both at the same time initially, then it would allow for an "easier" pull the next time.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The thing is that if you want your sound to come out of your HDMI, your actual PC won't have sound because windows can only use one sound device at a time. Setting it to the HDMI audio will cut off the built in soundcard.

I'm guessing you have a 1080p TV. If you have a 1080p monitor as well (1920x1080) you should be good to go for a cloned monitor experience that is the same on your PC and your TV.

Are you going to be doing PC gaming on this computer? Otherwise, it is probably cheaper to build a cheap $200 HTPC for your home theatre system. If you don't even care about things like streaming, using programs, internet, etc. you could get an ASUS OPlay wireless that will stream media from your PC to your home theatre.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

for my setup, i pulled hdmi cable, 2 or 3 cat 6 cables, and i used central vacuum pipe as best as i could. i also ran some string through the central vac pipes so that i can pull the cables if i need to. depending upon where the drop was, i also ran digital audio in case i need to send digital audio to or from the tv. i also pulled speaker cable where i could, including subwoofer cable.

why so many cat 6? i figured that, if the worst happened, i could use the cable for infrared to my server room, or cat 6 for network, or even hdmi runs. mono price has a good section on there to use cat 6 for different stuff.

or maybe i won't need it at all. but i bought a box of 1000 feet for cheap so i figured...why not?

just make sure to go with more than cat 5.