Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #241
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You know has to be another record? The number of people refusing to believe coaching matters.
I can accept it not being coaching and it being the crappy players, but then it is Brad’s fault.

I can accept that it is coaching and the players are a lot better than they are currently showing but need a better coach.

I can also accept that the coach sucks and the players suck and it is the coach and the GM’s fault.

The position that impresses me is that it is neither the coach nor the GM’s fault but the players suck. That one takes some ingenuity.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #242
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic's quotes sound exactly like something he would say to Treliving if Ward gets canned.

Can't put too much stock in them because of how close he is to Ward. He brought up how they played last year but they the results were mediocre last year too.

Returning home with a 2-day break and a 3-day break the week after. If the Flames don't move on from Ward now, then it's not happening for the rest of the season for sure.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #243
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So wasn't going back to the bubble lines going to cure everything?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #244
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Listening to Ward. He is all over the place. I am totally confused. Did anyone understand it?
I've rarely understood him this season seeing his calm, nonchalant demeanor after embarrassing losses in important games.

He's either tone deaf or doesn't fully grasp what his job on the team is.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #245
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Watching other hockey is also just depressing.

Other teams play so, so much faster than Flames hockey. We slow it down and play ugly, garbage hockey. It is absolutely infuriating. I can’t cheer for a Geoff Ward coached team. Not after having to endure years of Gulutzan.

Just fire Treliving, because I honestly don’t think this team will improve under him anymore. It’s over. Get rid of him.
This is so true. Not every team does but the top 3rd of the league are ridiculously fast paced. The Flames haven't looked like that in a long time.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #246
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

This team responds to tough coaches for about a season (sometimes less). Well perfect, we have about that time left including playoffs. Bring in a tough coach, ride the bump and move out the trash offseason. It seems like such an easy move.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #247
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I can accept it not being coaching and it being the crappy players, but then it is Brad’s fault.

I can accept that it is coaching and the players are a lot better than they are currently showing but need a better coach.

I can also accept that the coach sucks and the players suck and it is the coach and the GM’s fault.

The position that impresses me is that it is neither the coach nor the GM’s fault but the players suck. That one takes some ingenuity.
So under what scenario do you hold the players accountable?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #248
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Under a real coach we'd finally find out who the slackers are.
I think the team knows who the problem players are in the dressing room. Trading and getting fair value midseason is another thing.

Maybe we start sitting core players in the press box for a few games to send a message or be like Bob Hartley and personaly call out your players in media sessions.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #249
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
We've had at least 3 (Keenan, Hartley, Peters) who's next coaching job was in the KHL, which also might be some kind of record.

EDIT: beaten to the punch
We can share
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #250
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Watching other hockey is also just depressing.

Other teams play so, so much faster than Flames hockey. We slow it down and play ugly, garbage hockey. It is absolutely infuriating. I can’t cheer for a Geoff Ward coached team. Not after having to endure years of Gulutzan.

Just fire Treliving, because I honestly don’t think this team will improve under him anymore. It’s over. Get rid of him.

Seven years to find a goalie worth a damn.

Seven years and counting to find a competent head coach.

Doubling down on a group of players that have consistently proven themselves to be unable to get it done.

He’s just a bad GM. Yes, he’s the best we’ve had for a long time - but he’s still just bad.
Even in COVID times, other teams appear to be much more motivated night to night.

It is sad to see. I don't know why these guys don't want it without the loads of external pressure put on them.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #251
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The Flames have had 17 coaches. Only 3 have ever been the Head Coach of another NHL team after they left Calgary. That has to be some kind of league record.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but ten of the coaches in Flames history were also first time NHL head coaches. They have a history of hoping for success from unproven coaches.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #252
Swifty16
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Based on the effort and production this season, I'd trade Tkachuk.

Come at me bro.

Although it may be unpopular, I agree 100% with this. His game of late has resembled a pouting child who was scolded by his parents. He is not playing his hard nosed game and instead is trying to be cute and seems to be overly slow and out of position. A trade to Ottawa for a young talented forward and maybe some picks would be ideal!! Reunite the brothers!!
Swifty16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #253
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

F### this team i haven't watched many games this year but I can comfortably say I'm done with this team until ward is gone or there are some serious changes elsewhere, if the team doesn't give a damn why should I
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #254
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am on the fence about a good coach. Too nervous these players make the next coach even an accomplished one look washed up.

JG and SM are not good pieces to build around. Should have been gone already.
OldDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #255
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

IIRC it was Burke who said Hartley was too hard on his players and that was the reason they fired him.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #256
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
This is so true. Not every team does but the top 3rd of the league are ridiculously fast paced. The Flames haven't looked like that in a long time.
They played a pretty uptempo game against Toronto...and TO is almost always fast. They *can*....they just have to be awake at the start of the game. I dunno if they're playing Fortnite until 5 am daily or what..but they are simply never ready to go, look slow and tired. Except for the odd game. Just so discouraging.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #257
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I think the team knows who the problem players are in the dressing room.
When you say "team", whom are you thinking of?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #258
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
When you say "team", whom are you thinking of?
Coach and GM.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #259
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
So under what scenario do you hold the players accountable?
Well accountability in a league with guaranteed contracts would come by trading the players to a different team. But if it is the players then it is Brad who should walk the plank first. But to be a “it’s the players and not Brad” is the position that takes ingenuity in my opinion. To the best of my knowledge none of the players have the ability to force a GM to have them on their team. So if the players are the problem then your first move should be getting rid of the guy who got the players and allow someone else to find the right players. There is not a single player on this team who has not had their contract negotiated with anyone other than Brad Treliving as the GM. Brad made a conscious decision to put this group of players together, so if it is the players I would get rid of the GM and then let that person who is the new GM get rid of the players that they think do not fit.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #260
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point I am just ready to sell so we can go for Shane Wright in '22. This team isn't going anywhere with the current core, coach, and GM.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote