Exp:

Class - wishing your opponent well after a fight

No class - trash talking your opponents wife after a fight
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #2042
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Conor has lost the plot when it comes to trash talking lately.

I get he was frustrated, but his comments after the fight were terribly executed. He was outclassed before, during and after the fight.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #2043
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Poirier won the fight decisively
lol touche

I guess people can say it if they really want to.

Even if it's not entirely true.

There is a big difference between the way that fight ended and the way the last one did, which was a legitimate finish of Conor vs. a doctor stoppage due to a guys leg/ankle breaking from his own weight.

That's more my point, and I'm pretty sure winning like that didn't satisfy Poirier. He can't say "I legitimately finished that guy again. NEXT."

That's all I'm saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #2044
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others have mentioned Conor's schtick has become pretty played out. He's just angry and bitter now, it's not any fun like it was in the earlier days. I have no idea where he goes from here, logically he should probably have to work his way back up to a big fight, but he's too much of a cash cow to treat as a mid-card guy even if that's where his current competition level is.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #2045
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Conor doesn't hang them up I can see his career going the way the Spider's career went after he lost his belt, and then broke his leg trying to get it back. Just with more terrible trash talking.

He should hang 'em up but I imagine he has/had aspirations of going out on top the way GSP did.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #2046
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conor is out there saying its not a legit win and all his fanboys are eating it up...he won't retire, he will be back for another ass kicking/excuse
Old 07-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #2047
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if it was the other way around:

"Dustin's ankle co'int 'andle such a man and it snapped in two like a twig. Buy Proper 12 Whiskey".
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #2048
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1414434500545851393
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #2049
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Yeah, the calf kicks were increasing as a technique and now guys are on to it defensively and turn their shin out to check it.

I think McIdiot tried to copy Dustin's leg kicks from the last fight and Dustin checked it to crack the bone.
Then later it broke fully under his weight.
Would like to see the replay of the check that did the damage.
It wasn't a check that broke the ankle. McGregor threw a body kick and caught Poirier in the elbow.

The rest of this isn't directed at you Pilates.

One thing a lot of people seemed to miss is that Poirier cheated during the guillotine attempt (not that McGregor was going to finish the choke) but it kept Poirier out of trouble, and allowed him to get in to a safe position.

Poirier flipped up, and put his toes through the fence, and held himself in a sort of headstand for several seconds. It prevented any chance of Conor getting guard to even have a chance of finishing, or to even be in a decent defensive position on his back. This is not allowed, there was a fighter on the prelims that had his foot removed from the fence by the ref, and he wasn't even doing anything with it. The fight should have been stood up right then. Then Conor tried to cheat.

I lost a lot of respect for Poirier with all that charity crap that he was completely unprofessional about. I saw that he did step up and say he jumped the gun which I hadn't seen until a couple days ago so I can respect that he admitted he was wrong.

Poirier celebrating a guy breaking his leg is weak, I hated it when Weidman did it, and I really disliked Anderson, and I didn't like it when Dustin did it.

I don't really like the way either fighter comes off after this. Obviously McGregor looks like such a child, but both cheated and acted kind of stupid. Conor went too far with the trash talk but that's not surprising, he seems to be losing it.

This was a mess all around.

Last edited by AFireInside; 07-13-2021 at 02:49 AM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #2050
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dustin looks fine from my perspective, given all Conor said before and after the match. All this coming out now is just the stuff people have caught on film. Just imagine what else has been said that people didn't record.

McGregor is a trash human being. Poirier fights so he can help people in his charity.

So happy Poirier won again. And like Khabib says, if they fight another 100 times, Poirier wins 100 times. I agree.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #2051
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #2052
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll believe it when Bruce Buffer announces their names, not a minute earlier.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #2053
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #2054
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some pretty crazy things coming out this morning about the pay that UFC fights are making. Cheyanne Buys, who won her fight and a $50k bonus last night, was saying that she made “10 and 10” for the fight. Honestly, that’s atrocious. Being paid $20k before paying for coaches/training and such, and of course taxes is pretty brutal. For some context, the TV deal that the UFC signed was $1.5bn, and pretty clearly not a lot of that is ending up in the pockets of the athletes.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #2055
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Some pretty crazy things coming out this morning about the pay that UFC fights are making. Cheyanne Buys, who won her fight and a $50k bonus last night, was saying that she made “10 and 10” for the fight. Honestly, that’s atrocious. Being paid $20k before paying for coaches/training and such, and of course taxes is pretty brutal. For some context, the TV deal that the UFC signed was $1.5bn, and pretty clearly not a lot of that is ending up in the pockets of the athletes.

How is such bad pay possible? I'm not denying it, but are coaches not working for anything? GSP recently said he made a killing, but I think they're forced to pay their big guys a ton of money, but the little guys get paid peanuts. Fighters should unionize if anything, but I doubt it'd get them far as there are probably loads of talented fighters who would cross the line. Tough to make progress there with such a large supply of fighters, who the UFC can just market as being good (which is what the company is frankly built on - marketing). Anyway, I can see a major network over the next few years pulling away talent through forming a competitive league by paying better. The UFC has been built on Dana and Rogan's face. All any network needs to do is bring in credible brand faces and they've got competition against the UFC. The UFC also has huge bills to pay considering the price paid, so it shouldn't be too difficult to undercut them.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #2056
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is pretty common for fighters who are on their first or second contract with the UFC, unfortunately.

I remember before Nate Diaz fought McGregor for the first time, he was only making $20k to show, $20k to win per fight. And was in the UFC for a long time at that point.

I've read different numbers but it seems only 15-18% of the UFC's revenues goes to the fighters - around a third of what athletes get in the big 4 North American sports leagues! It sucks because there's not enough fighters who are aware or care about how much they're getting screwed over, and are just happy to be in the UFC and be a lapdog for Dana White. Even if they were aware and spoke up, the UFC would have no problem cutting them or leaving them idle. Dana's favourite lie as of late is saying "He/she didn't want the fight" if a fighter asks for more pay. The media doesn't want to speak up about it either, out of fear of getting berated by Dana or being blacklisted by the UFC.

Even if a big star or champion spoke up (eg. Jones, Masvidal, or most recently Ngannou) and demanded more pay or pushed for unionization, it's a common tactic for the UFC to leave them on the sidelines and instead make an interim belt and find two contenders who are willing to fight for lesser pay, under the guise that they are getting a title shot. This is exactly what's happening with the interim Heavyweight title fight happening next week.

This is also why we're seeing former champions like Tyron Woodley and Ben Askren, who should be retired with their respect and dignity intact, chase stupid boxing fights against Jake Paul. Because fighting a celebrity in boxing will net these guys far more money than they've ever seen when they were champion.

Last edited by mile; 08-01-2021 at 02:25 PM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #2057
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

UFC is smart enough to keep their big names happy with PPV points so they stick around. Without the big names fighting with them, the lower tier fighters have no leverage unless they unionize.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #2058
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
UFC is smart enough to keep their big names happy with PPV points so they stick around. Without the big names fighting with them, the lower tier fighters have no leverage unless they unionize.

That's the UFC marketing machine. They keep on pumping up fights with slowmo promos, a good music soundtrack, etc., that they've mastered making a fight out of nobody's. So even if unionizing in theory would be beneficial to the little guy, and if they had to strike to get their way, the UFC would simply play hardball until many cross the line just to get on the UFC card. The only way I see this playing out is more competition. UFC is still a relatively new league. If a new company came around, where they shared the profits more evenly, the UFC would be screwed because their costs are so significant. As much as I like Dana's style, I do see him as a compulsive liar a few notches better than Don King. Classic boxing promoter dbag.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #2059
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was literally her first win the UFC. Second appearance.

Entry level contract. Business as usual.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #2060
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the argument is that 'business as usual' isn't good enough for these fighters who put everything into fighting, paying out of their own pockets to fund their training.

Imagine NHL prospects having to pay their coaches and equipment managers out of pocket until they 'make it big', and these guys don't even have to face the threat of being knocked out in combat like UFC fighters. It's ridiculous how little UFC fighters make.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote