Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #4241
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Loving Flight Sim on the Series X so far. It features some of the gobbledy#### that you’d expect with a complex sim port to console/controller, but it looks awesome and it’s amazing to finally see a proper flight sim on console at this level of fidelity.
Do you have the option of just doing the take-offs and approaches to cities? I'm not a flight sim fan but I would love to approach cities I've visited in the world just to see the sights from above.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #4242
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Do you have the option of just doing the take-offs and approaches to cities? I'm not a flight sim fan but I would love to approach cities I've visited in the world just to see the sights from above.
Yup; set your flight plan in the world map before starting, then you can taxi and / or take-off, then once you get to the point where you want to go to the landing, you can fast travel to the descent or approach and bring it in for landing.

If you don’t set your departure and arrival, this won’t work because there is no way to know where you want to fast travel to.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #4243
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Blizzard devs had a "Cosby Suite" at Blizzcon

https://kotaku.com/inside-blizzard-d...ite-1847378762

Every week seems to bring something new with that disgusting company. I hope this actually hits them in the only place that matters (sales #'s)

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 07-28-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:00 PM   #4244
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Blizzard devs had a "Crosby Suite" at Blizzcon

https://kotaku.com/inside-blizzard-d...ite-1847378762

Every week seems to bring something new with that disgusting company. I hope this actually hits them in the only place that matters (sales #'s)
Good click bait, had to check the link to see what Crosby had to do with it. lol
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #4245
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, pretty clear people like Ghostcrawler are ####ed up. Desperately trying to spin spin spin.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420469739839578112

https://kotaku.com/former-world-of-w...ast-1847362737
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #4246
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Good click bait, had to check the link to see what Crosby had to do with it. lol
Oops, did not mean to disparage good ol' Sydney
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #4247
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It’s a very particular cup of tea but boy do I love Samurai Warriors 5. Nice little reboot for the series, now give me a Warriors Orochi 5 and let me really kill time grinding and grinding and grinding…
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:17 PM   #4248
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Death’s Door is good but I’m finding it’s largely carried by its art, music, and atmosphere, which is all excellent. The actual gameplay is merely okay - simple / repetitive combat that there’s way too much of, not enough enemy variety, not very many puzzles, not much to find or explore for in the world, the stat upgrades largely feel pointless. All the weapons and magic feel the same. I’m in the back quarter of it after six hours and am feeling a bit bored of it already.
Not me. I feel it has a lot of charm and while it's not an overly long game there's plenty of secret locations and the difficulty level is just right where it's not easy but you don't need to be a hard core gamer to finish. It had a pretty successful opening week in downloads and solid reviews so maybe it's not for you but most people like it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #4249
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #4250
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's looking like my Xbox One might be toast. The green loading screen comes up but after that it's just a black screen. I've tried unplugging all of the cords and leaving it for a while and doing the video reset thing where you hold the power and eject button until it beeps twice but nothing works.

I really don't want to pay to get a console I barely play anymore fixed and with the Series X not having any non-PC exclusives I don't think that would be a good investment so I might just have to stick to my PS5 and use my 360 to play old games.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #4251
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually not into early access stuff but this is great:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #4252
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait... I initially thought "hey, a game someone is calling a roguelike is actually turn based, maybe they know what roguelike means"... but it seems to be more like a tactics game? I'm very confused.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-29-2021 at 10:25 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:40 AM   #4253
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raji is a fun little 'Indie' (quite literally) game.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:29 AM   #4254
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Wait... I initially thought "hey, a game someone is calling a roguelike is actually turn based, maybe they know what roguelike means"... but it seems to be more like a tactics game? I'm very confused.
Do you know what roguelike means, though? A game doesn’t have to be turn based to be a roguelike.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #4255
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want to get into a whole debate about the Berlin interpretation or whatever, but a roguelike should be turnbased. The four key elements are procedurally generated "dungeons" (doesn't have to literally be a dungeon environment but you know what I mean), some semblance of permadeath, a tile-based layout, and turn-based combat.

I cannot for the life of me understand why "roguelike elements" is a thing. Why is this a selling feature? If your game is actually a roguelike - i.e. it has the four things I mentioned above - fine. But if it doesn't, it's not going to play or feel anything like Rogue, so why call it that? Does Rogue still have some magical goodwill or selling power?

Instead of saying "this is an action RPG with roguelike elements", or whatever, just describe the elements - "this is an action RPG with auto-generated environments", or some such. Just such a weird video game convention to use these buzzwords that are basically meaningless at this point.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #4256
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
It's looking like my Xbox One might be toast. The green loading screen comes up but after that it's just a black screen. I've tried unplugging all of the cords and leaving it for a while and doing the video reset thing where you hold the power and eject button until it beeps twice but nothing works.

I really don't want to pay to get a console I barely play anymore fixed and with the Series X not having any non-PC exclusives I don't think that would be a good investment so I might just have to stick to my PS5 and use my 360 to play old games.
If the green boot screen comes up, you might want to try downloading a restore image to a USB stick and giving that a try.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/...-system-update
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #4257
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If the green boot screen comes up, you might want to try downloading a restore image to a USB stick and giving that a try.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/...-system-update
I ended up doing a factory reset and it fixed it. I might have lost some game saves but hopefully they just download from the cloud. I can't really think of any I would miss if they didn't though.

Last edited by Inferno; 07-30-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #4258
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't want to get into a whole debate about the Berlin interpretation or whatever, but a roguelike should be turnbased. The four key elements are procedurally generated "dungeons" (doesn't have to literally be a dungeon environment but you know what I mean), some semblance of permadeath, a tile-based layout, and turn-based combat.

I cannot for the life of me understand why "roguelike elements" is a thing. Why is this a selling feature? If your game is actually a roguelike - i.e. it has the four things I mentioned above - fine. But if it doesn't, it's not going to play or feel anything like Rogue, so why call it that? Does Rogue still have some magical goodwill or selling power?

Instead of saying "this is an action RPG with roguelike elements", or whatever, just describe the elements - "this is an action RPG with auto-generated environments", or some such. Just such a weird video game convention to use these buzzwords that are basically meaningless at this point.
Well that's why they started using "roguelite" for a while but then the "roguelites" are what took over the genre (Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, Hades, Into the Breach, etc.) so roguelite just got dropped. The two important things are procedurally generated and permadeath now.

I think we're far enough into these types of games being a thing now that when someone says "roguelike" it's accepted to be a game that incorporates popular elements from the game "Rogue", not a game that plays exactly like it. Same with Metroidvania.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #4259
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

See, I've always interpreted roguelite to have to do with relaxing a little on the permadeath aspect of things - like it's not a blank slate if you're dead.

Metroidvania is a good comparison though. I mean, basically every metroidvania game that I've played or seen is actually very, very much like Metroid or Castlevania. Whereas games described as roguelikes have almost nothing in common with Rogue (or each other, frankly) as an experience.

It's not worth getting worked up about or anything, I'm not even a big fan of the genre (whatever you might think the genre entails) I just find it confusing that this term, which has essentially no utility in terms of telling you about the gaming experience you're about to have, seems to be a thing everyone wants to use. Just describe the game, don't compare it to something it's completely different from, that's just unhelpful.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #4260
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Ascent was just dropped in to Gamepass and I recommend giving it a go. Developed by a small team but seems relatively polished so far and has a very cool sci-fi/cyberpunky atmosphere. It’s an isometric twin stick shooter with some character progression/RPG elements.