Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00115399

Or they also have this one now

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00115529

Both with a 3070 and a 17 inch screen and both would destroy anything you wanna do for years to come. I’ve owned a couple of asus gaming laptops over the years and this gen was the biggest jump in performance by far, I love it.

As a side note, Asus also has the best warranty. you get 1 year of free damage replacement and I’m talking smashed screen level of damage.
What jump specifically do you mean? The video card performance?

So I went with the 3060 in lieu of the 3070. The 3070 needs a price point of usually $2,000, pre-tax, whereas I paid $1418 all in for the 3060 (I could of had the 3060 in a laptop for closer to $1,250 but I wanted the Ryzen superior chip and the model which had it had a slightly superior screen if 165Hz x 300 nits is better than 120Hz x 250nits- I don't know)

Comparison here, the 3060 rating is 12,218 whereas the 3070 is 14,339.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/c...GPU/4342vs4331

The $2,200 ($2318 with GST and AB recycling fees) Asus laptop link you posted actually has the same Ryzen chip in the laptop I purchased for $1418 (all taxes and fees in). Same Hz on the screen but its 17.3 vs my smaller 15.6 to be fair. So for $900 (64% cost increase) you get:
  • 3070 vs 3060 chip
  • 17" vs 15" screen, but same Hz on the screen
  • Better manufacture? Asus vs Dell?
  • 1TB storage vs 512 SSD
  • same processor

Do you think in the lifetime of the laptop that will be noticeable and worth the $900 increase cost (63% increase in laptop cost)? A better question may be, are their games out right now that the 3070 would make a meaningful difference over the 3060? Because future proofing laptops for $900 is a slippery slope when its 63% the cost of a new laptop.

Thoughts?

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell...155515_sb_s25e
(if you sign up for the Dell email newsletter with any email they send you a 10% off coupon, I just made a fake email for this purpose, but they ended getting my real email anyway when I purchased it for shipping updates and other things)

That said... stupid Dell.. late Sept delivery.... however I have free return... so I can spend the next month looking for a better deal or change my mind on the 3070.

Last edited by Mull; 07-27-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #42
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had an MSI gaming laptop for a few years. It was good for a while but then something happened with the cooling and the fan was having to work way harder than previously... I decided to go with an ROG on my reup and have been very pleased.

If latency issues could be worked out, my dream product would be a portable monitor/ keyboard combo that links up wirelessly to a central PC Tower somewhere else in your house.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #43
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I had an MSI gaming laptop for a few years. It was good for a while but then something happened with the cooling and the fan was having to work way harder than previously... I decided to go with an ROG on my reup and have been very pleased.

If latency issues could be worked out, my dream product would be a portable monitor/ keyboard combo that links up wirelessly to a central PC Tower somewhere else in your house.
My last gaming laptop was an MSI. I won't go back- while it has lasted since Diablo 3 came out, which is a good life for a gaming laptop, I wasn't really hard on it - the hardest game was D3 and then league of legends... and I noticed heat issues from the start. The fan going intense when working on minor excel files.

And, now that its out of warranty, I tried to troubleshoot somethings, they refused to respond only to say not in warrantee. I found Dell previously did respond with out of warranty questions. That could have changed though.

In short, I have limited comparable so 100% bias, but I think MSI doesn't know how to handle heat (and someone posted a reddit thread at the start of this thread supporting that).
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:27 AM   #44
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Would you propose this to be done wireless or wired?