Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #4501
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played Gallagher's Canyon on Saturday using the combo tees. It's almost the same distance as the combo tees at Marine Drive, but it plays so much shorter because of how wide the fairways are. I struck the ball well, but I didn't score well because I was terrible at trying to adjust for distances. It flew a lot further than I was expecting given the difference in altitude, temperature, and humidity compared to Vancouver. I ended up well past the pin too many times and had too many putts. Most of their greens are sloped towards the front.

From the tee to in front of the green the course was in good shape. The greens were horrific. They were fuzzy and full of ball marks. I understand I play at a private course, but these greens were bad even for a municipal course. It looked like they continually put the pins in similar spots, so those areas got beat up. There were many other areas of the green they needed to rotate the pins to.

I thought the course was a bit gimmicky, especially 17. The views were nice and the staff were awesome. It was nice to knock another one of the top courses off the list, as it was rated #108 in the most recent Score rankings. I don't think I'll get to any more of them that I haven't played this year, but next year I plan on hitting several in the Okanagan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #4502
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go play Tower Ranch.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #4503
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Go play Tower Ranch.

I've played it before and enjoyed it. My buddy booked us at Sunset Ranch and didn't realize until Friday night he had booked for Wednesday, not Saturday. Pretty much the only tee time between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm in Kelowna was the 12:36 one we got at Canyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 06:07 PM   #4504
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canyon wouldn't let me on as a single, even though they had room on the tee sheet.

Bear and Quail are also solid.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:53 PM   #4505
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golfed this morning at blue devil. It was a flawless morning. I was+5 at 7 - then fell apart for the next 6 holes.

Hit a glorious drive right down the pipe on 18. Was 220 out with my 3-wood in hand could not deliver the shot I needed. Took a 6 on the hole,so that was acceptable as I’d love to be no worse than double.

The greens there are really fast and you do not need to hit your putts very hard
Old 07-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #4506
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played 9 holes with the wife this morning at Grouse Nest west of Edmonton. Not a bad little track for the price.

Playing trestle creek tomorrow morning. I always liked the course. Tough greens.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:55 PM   #4507
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What is a good course around Edmonton? I want to meet a buddy to play a round of golf. He's driving from up North and myself from Calgary. I haven't golfed around there in about 27 years.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #4508
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
What is a good course around Edmonton? I want to meet a buddy to play a round of golf. He's driving from up North and myself from Calgary. I haven't golfed around there in about 27 years.

How far south is he willing to drive?

Wolf Creek-Ponoka-Lacombe are your best public options between Red Deer and Edmonton IMO (in that order) in terms of quality and value. Though Wolf Creek might be the most polarizing of the options, people seem to love it or hate it with nothing in between. Otherwise right in Edmonton is probably your next best bet with Victoria, or Jagare Ridge as the pricier option on the south side of the city. Coal Creek an out of the way option but maybe too out of the way. Coloniale in Beaumont was decent from what I remember. But that was back in 2013 or so.

I'd say avoid Red Tail Landing. Has had some terrible conditions the past few years and I'm not sure if this year is any better (bad winters and they have some awful water as a result of airport runoff that makes recovery extremely difficult). But it looks like they've dropped their prices for a pretty reasonable weekday rate ($60 w/ cart).
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #4509
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven’t played any in the Edmonton area but my cousin, who lives in Spruce Grove says we are playing The Ranch in Acheson when I go visit him.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:36 PM   #4510
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ranch is good. I like the links in spruce grove better.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:09 PM   #4511
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golf course management question here. Maybe I’m an idiot, but this is something that never really dawned on me until now! But, does anyone play the course and and play holes differently based on where you get a stroke or strokes? I have to say, I have always just gone for par, every hole all the way around. Today, playing the club championship (and I will not be the club champion, lol), a guy asked me that.

So, I started thinking. Would it make sense to say these holes are ones I get a stroke, so I’ll basically play for bogey there, by doing that, maybe save a stroke or two that I’d otherwise burn by taking a stab at the green instead of laying up?

Just curious if that’s a smarter way to play and improve, in general?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:14 PM   #4512
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So play more conservative when you get a stroke? Seems like a waste.

If anything I’d go more aggressive on those holes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 08:39 PM   #4513
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So play more conservative when you get a stroke? Seems like a waste.

If anything I’d go more aggressive on those holes.
Yeah that’s kind of my thought. Like if I take a stab and make it, I get net birdie. If I fail, maybe a net par. I just wondered what other people do though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:47 PM   #4514
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah I stopped playing for birds outside of par 3’s. Go for par and my scores seem to have gotten way better.

I think if you get a stroke you got some lee way to try and score even better by going for the bird. If you miss you got a stroke to save you.

If you don’t then why even have the strokes? Your aiming for your regular score.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:10 PM   #4515
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Golf course management question here. Maybe I’m an idiot, but this is something that never really dawned on me until now! But, does anyone play the course and and play holes differently based on where you get a stroke or strokes?
No. Get used to playing the game straight up. Don't start thinking about score as it can really mess with your head. Stay in your shot and focus only on the shot you are about to make. You can't get back shots you just messed up, and you can't make the next shot until the one you're standing over has been struck. Only worry about the swing you're about to make.

That doesn't mean you don't use course management to your advantage. Course management just means you are planning your shots out to play to your strengths. My advice is play the hole backwards in your head and play to your strength. For me, that is hitting my gap wedge, so I play the club off the tee to get me to 125-130 yards out where possible. That usually means hitting more 3 wood or long irons off the tee and leaving the driver in the bag. This allows for maximum scoring opportunities. Golf is a game about grinding it out, so focus on hitting fairways and greens, leaving yourself as many good opportunities to make putts. You're never wrong hitting to the middle of the green. Let the handicap strokes be a bonus for you.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #4516
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Golf course management question here. Maybe I’m an idiot, but this is something that never really dawned on me until now! But, does anyone play the course and and play holes differently based on where you get a stroke or strokes? I have to say, I have always just gone for par, every hole all the way around. Today, playing the club championship (and I will not be the club champion, lol), a guy asked me that.

So, I started thinking. Would it make sense to say these holes are ones I get a stroke, so I’ll basically play for bogey there, by doing that, maybe save a stroke or two that I’d otherwise burn by taking a stab at the green instead of laying up?

Just curious if that’s a smarter way to play and improve, in general?
When I was trying to break 100 for the first time, I'd add 1 stroke to the 9 easiest holes on my scorecard and 2 strokes to the 9 hardest; therefore aiming for a par 99 on my card.

It does mentally change how you approach and you can use more strokes to get to the green instead of longer irons and fairway woods you may be terrible with.

I don't do that now but I'll still adjust on difficult holes sometimes and play them with bogey as target.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #4517
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
The Quarry
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #4518
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently in revelstoke for a few days, we have tee times for tomorrow and Wednesday. Just rode our bike by the golf course, it looks really nice. Looking forward to losing balls there.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:19 PM   #4519
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Go play Tower Ranch.
Played there on Friday. Very smoky. But the course was in great shape.

The more I play it the more I like it.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #4520
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

We're locked down (again) where I live for a week. Got the alert while playing on Saturday...it's amazing what impending imprisonment can do for your attitude on the course. Cracked a few beers, and enjoyed the last 6holes and a sit on the patio. I'm just upset I didn't go for another 18 because the tee sheet was full.

Anyway now that I've got some at home swing training time, I ordered a new golf toy off Amazon. They're pressure mat insoles for your golf shoes. The reviews were decent on them. I'm pretty excited to give them a try as I'm becoming a bit obsessed with improving my foot work in the golf swing to add distance and accuracy.

What makes me excited for the arrival of this tool is that you can set them to buzz/beep when you achieve a certain pressure % on a foot. I'm hoping to get some nice feed back on my iron and driver swings to train better behaviour in my transitions.

I will report back once they arrive and I get a few sessions in.

https://www.salted.ltd/en/insole

Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow