Way to go, boys!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #302
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I think a huge part of that is the Flames just aren't a fast team. Tough to play that style when you don't have the horses. Johnny is quick and can dart around pretty good. Chucky is slow. Monahan is slow. Lindholm is average. Backlund is average. Eat Bread is a good skater. Dube too. Lucic is slow. Bennett is average. A few years ago when the Flames looked like a faster team they also had Brodie and Gio to help out the transition and they were both good/fast skaters. Now TJ is gone and Gio is a shell of his former self. That's a big issue too, they do not have any fast skating offensive defensemen.

Tough to want to play a fast/up tempo style when the roster isn't cut out for that at all. It's something I'd like to see addressed in the near future. Besides bringing in players with more heart they need to bring in players that can play a faster style.
This, 100 times, this.

Coaching can help the team play faster, but it's an awful group to be saddled with to play 'fast hockey'.

If you're not fast, you'd better be heavy. The Flames are classic tweeners and don't have near the skill to compensate for it.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #303
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
“Back to the gym”

...Did not age well.
Meh that and the button popping are the highlights of the season so far
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #304
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
“Back to the gym”

...Did not age well.
Back to the ####ing drawing board more like.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #305
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
How many times do I have to say that I would fire the coach?
My less snippy reply: when the coach doesn't make rationale choices, and seems to be a poor communicator with his team. Which seems to be the case here.
Apologies then, fair enough.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #306
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I'm good with Lucic's effort ect. I just don't think he should be throwing pucks into the middle of the ice....they are the one line that should be dumping and chasing.

I mean there are 5+ goals against this year that are because Lucic throws a puck into the middle of the ice.
Nope.

They should be dumping and chasing more but no line should be dumping and chasing 100% of the time.

They had the time and the space to make that play in that scenario. Didn’t work out but that was because they were lazy on the back check, not because they failed the pass itself.

That mentality is why Bennett regressed as a player to start with. You had Glen Gulutzan preaching the same thing telling him to never take a risk or try to make a play. And now Dube seems to be on the same path under Ward.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-01-2021 at 08:55 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #307
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team is well built and can win but not with playing what the coach is preaching. The core is not rotten, the players are not bad, they just are defeated by being told to play dump and defend hockey. Imagine working your whole life to be an NHL player and then being coached to throw the puck away constantly. These players didn't suddenly forget how to play high end hockey, they have been neutered by this terrible coach. The season is still very salvageable but Brad has to have the balls to make a coaching change now. Just swallow the fact you made a terrible call by giving him the gig and make the change. Bring in a coach that will use the strength of this forward group which is offensive puck possession hockey. Bring in a coach that will activate a talented offensive D group. So the goalies might have to make harder saves, that is why we got Markstrom. This group needs to play exciting offensive hockey, not dump and defend.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #308
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Apologies then, fair enough.
All good. I don’t expect people to remember everything I post
But I think people think I’m a ward apologist
I’m not
I’m a Treliving apologist
So let’s be accurate!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #309
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
How do you hold the players accountable?
Start calling out the players for poor play, poor effort and quit blaming every single thing on the coach. That happens a lot around here. Not everyone does it, but I've certainly noticed a few obvious ones.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #310
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More than likely: off-season.
I've peered into my crystal ball, and when those changes yet again fail to come, it's because "making trades is hard because of COVID."

Just wait for it. There's always an excuse.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #311
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Nope.

They should be dumping and chasing more but no line should be dumping and chasing 100% of the time.

They had the time and the space to make that play in that scenario. Didn’t work out but that was because they were lazy on the back check, not because they failed the pass itself.
Pizza up the middle to a guy who can't take a pass is never a good play
Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #312
Jagermeister
Scoring Winger

Exp:

None of what's happening this season should come as a surprise. As Flames fans we have watched this garbage over the span of almost 2 years now. Sometimes team shows up and plays good, but then its followed up with a couple games of complete garbage.

Both Ward and Treliving can go as far as I'm concerned. Ward isn't a good head coach and shouldn't have been given a contract. Treliving and this organization as a whole has failed to get the team a proper coach. Maybe the core does better under a more proven head coach but at this point I highly doubt it.

Team needed a shakeup this past off season. This "core" clearly does not have what it takes to win a cup. I don't think this team needs to rebuild completely but it certainly needs a major retooling. No player should be untouchable especially if a center like Eichel is available, they should be moving whatever Buffalo wants for him and retool around him. The only time you will find a center with his skills is by completely lucking out in the draft or getting a top pick.

Its such a Flames thing to be projecting for a top pick in a draft that is going to be surrounded by uncertainty. Hopefully we don't end up with another Bennett.
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #313
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett, Dube, Tkachuk, Monahan, Backlund, Andersson, Giordano, Rittich and Ryan have all taken steps back this season. That is why this team is finished.

Lucic, Gaudreau, Hanifin and Mangiapane are the only players who have arguably been better.

Tanev and Markstrom have played pretty good and as good as acquisitions can be really.

Valamaki looks like a rookie. Nesterov is a 6th dman at best.

Leivo, Simon look horrendous anywhere you put them.

Nordstrom aside from being an above average PK guy is even more uneventful than Nesterov 5 on 5.

This team is not good. Simple as that
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #314
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gotta wonder what this teams off ice situation is like and how much contribution that has to the lack of success and the overall inconsistency we see. I remember in the early days when Monahan and Johnny were living together and the chemistry they had on the ice. Maybe it is the Covid protocols and the players can't hang out together in the hotels and bond? Maybe no one is stepping up before a game to be a leader in some soccer or whatever?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #315
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All good. I don’t expect people to remember everything I post
But I think people think I’m a ward apologist
I’m not
I’m a Treliving apologist
So let’s be accurate!
Like all of society we're caught in the "take a side" tribal game haha
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #316
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

So many things wrong with this team. Can we just decline the power plays going forward rather than watch them try to carry it into Ottawa's end. Change up the 1st unit cause it’s cringe worthy. Counted Johnny coughing the puck up 4 times on one power play.

They all look so surprised when someone actually manages to pass them the puck.

Everyone just standing still hoping someone else will go and retrieve the puck

And not that the 4th line really matters when they barely play but why change the lineup after winning 6-3. That 4th line has a total combined 0 goals on the season. Two of them have spent a good chunk on the top line.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #317
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire Ward. After hearing Lucic's comments maybe he will take a principled stance and retire in protest. Seems like a real win-win for the club.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #318
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's strange to me that Mangiapane can play such a straightforward game and, merely, put effort in, and not be a detriment to the team, while all these other guys manage to be so terrible on an individual level so consistently lately.

88 was still getting pucks deep and doing his part to cycle even when the team was down 3-1.

What he's doing can't be rocket science.

Figure it the #### out.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #319
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Start calling out the players for poor play, poor effort and quit blaming every single thing on the coach. That happens a lot around here. Not everyone does it, but I've certainly noticed a few obvious ones.
If the coach would throw some of these duds in the pressbox for a game or two it might have worked. But our coach has no balls, so he's pretty worthless.

I got killed for suggesting benching Tkachuk after game 5 or 6. It prob would have done him some good. Too late now.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #320
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I gotta wonder what this teams off ice situation is like and how much contribution that has to the lack of success and the overall inconsistency we see. I remember in the early days when Monahan and Johnny were living together and the chemistry they had on the ice. Maybe it is the Covid protocols and the players can't hang out together in the hotels and bond? Maybe no one is stepping up before a game to be a leader in some soccer or whatever?
Were that the case, every other team would be playing similarly.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post: