Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #281
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I hate that Lucic interview for one reason:

“Instead of trying to make that play to Benny, I’ve got to get that in”

It’s that type of scared passive mentality that is causing this team to struggle. Trying the pass itself is fine, but if you mess of you better get on your horse and get back. Which is what both Lucic and Bennett failed to do.

To point the finger at attempting the pass itself is why I think it’s also a coaching issue. You fault the effort on the back check there and the execution but not the attempt to actually make a play.

But that’s the issue with this coaching staff. They want this team to play ultra passive, ultra safe, and afraid to make a play or take a risk.
I think Lucic was just trying to shoulder the blame - I’m not taking much from that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #282
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Bennett and Lucic don't need to be passing pucks into the middle of the ice...maybe the top two lines but those guys should be nothing but crashing and banging.
Every line needs to mix it up. Lucic and Bennett had the space and the time to attempt a play there.

Bennett needs to be harder on the puck and both need to put a lot more effort on the backcheck, but to fault the pass attempt is the issue with this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think Lucic was just trying to shoulder the blame - I’m not taking much from that.
Not a chance.

“puck management”, “Getting it deep”, and “Safe plays at both bluelines” are all things that Ward has preached since becoming coach.

Lucic uses that example because him and Bennett heard about it in intermission for sure.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #283
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Coach and GM.
How long have they known about the problem players?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #284
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes me wonder if Treliving doesn't want to fire the coach because he doesn't want the spotlight to be squarely on him when the team inevitably doesn't do as well even with a coaching change. I said it since the off-season this team wasn't good enough. Aside from goaltending, this off-season no position improved despite the glaring need for high end skill at every position. I thought despite this they were good for 3rd or so in the division. They're Canucks bad. May as well just call this season the beginning of the rebuild and make any needed trades with US teams as needing to get anyone in the lineup this season won't help short of a miracle. This is beyond coaching, though that seems to be the focus of late.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #285
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Well accountability in a league with guaranteed contracts would come by trading the players to a different team. But if it is the players then it is Brad who should walk the plank first. But to be a “it’s the players and not Brad” is the position that takes ingenuity in my opinion. To the best of my knowledge none of the players have the ability to force a GM to have them on their team. So if the players are the problem then your first move should be getting rid of the guy who got the players and allow someone else to find the right players. There is not a single player on this team who has not had their contract negotiated with anyone other than Brad Treliving as the GM. Brad made a conscious decision to put this group of players together, so if it is the players I would get rid of the GM and then let that person who is the new GM get rid of the players that they think do not fit.
At some point the players have to perform on the ice. The main problem with this group is that the key players failed to progress like was hoped. You can hang that on the GM I suppose, but at some point he puts the roster together and the folks actually playing the game produce or they don't.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #286
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Every line needs to mix it up. Lucic and Bennett had the space and the time to attempt a play there.

Bennett needs to be harder on the puck and both need to put a lot more effort on the backcheck, but to fault the pass attempt is the issue with this team.
but they lack the skill...how many goals off Lucic turnovers in the middle of the ice this week?

And honestly Bennett can just sit until the expansion draft. Imagine asking for a trade when you are lucky to be in the NHL
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #287
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
So under what scenario do you hold coaches accountable. Two can play the cop-out game.
Jiri can speak for himself, but he's mentioned many times on this site he's not a fan of Ward's.

Holding the players accountable doesn't mean the coach doesn't deserve any blame.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #288
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Heat might have played a better game.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #289
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Jiri can speak for himself, but he's mentioned many times on this site he's not a fan of Ward's.

Holding the players accountable doesn't mean the coach doesn't deserve any blame.
Right. I am no Ward fan but this notion that a new coach just flips a switch on these guys is IMO being a tad over invested in the players.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #290
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I have a hard time blaming the players when they are playing so far below anyone's expectations, and they look just terrible doing it.

It's one things to lose games, and another to get repeatedly embarrassed.

I said in the game thread. The Flames were starting to really take over, and press the Sens. We got an offensive zone faceoff and Ward sends out the 4th line. That move stopped the momentum dead. There was no reason to not press with your other three lines to get a goal. Instead Ward sent out his momentum killing 4the line. Brutal game management.
This team loses momentum far too easily if that's the case.
They need some f'n mental strength.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #291
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
So under what scenario do you hold coaches accountable. Two can play the cop-out game.
How many times do I have to say that I would fire the coach?
My less snippy reply: when the coach doesn't make rationale choices, and seems to be a poor communicator with his team. Which seems to be the case here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #292
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Good. Where is our useless captain in all of this? Still no blame on his piss poor leadership? The only memorable thing he did all season was give us a soundbite.

Give the C to Lucic.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #293
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
but they lack the skill...how many goals off Lucic turnovers in the middle of the ice this week?

And honestly Bennett can just sit until the expansion draft. Imagine asking for a trade when you are lucky to be in the NHL
Lucic has made a lot of nice passes too, think he had a similar pass that sprung a guy for a breakaway this year.

The issue is not attempting that pass. The whole lineup needs to have the confidence to try to make a play.

The issue is neither of them gave enough effort on that backcheck. Bennett makes a smarter play and gives some effort on the backcheck and this giveaway isn’t even being talked about for a second.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #294
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How do you hold the players accountable?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #295
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

One question: when will something change with this team/organization?

I am referring to the type of changes that actually moves the dial...

So when? This month? End of the season? Off-season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #296
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe we start a rumor that some big wig is interested in buying the team and moving it to Florida??
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #297
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
One question: when will something change with this team/organization?

I am referring to the type of changes that actually moves the dial...

So when? This month? End of the season? Off-season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More than likely: off-season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #298
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm good with Lucic's effort ect. I just don't think he should be throwing pucks into the middle of the ice....they are the one line that should be dumping and chasing.

I mean there are 5+ goals against this year that are because Lucic throws a puck into the middle of the ice.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #299
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Right. I am no Ward fan but this notion that a new coach just flips a switch on these guys is IMO being a tad over invested in the players.
Is there a single poster that thinks coaching change will solve all the problems. Seriously even one?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #300
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

“Back to the gym”

...Did not age well.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post: