Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2023, 10:11 AM   #221
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Coronato is getting tons of ice tone and doing nothing
He did generate some offense. Good on the PP. wicked shot.

Not dominating though. Obvious trigger man.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #222
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonger View Post
Anyone still think either Coronato or Sharangovich will pot 30 beside the Unproven duo of Huberdeau/Lindholm?

Gotta be high for those hopes!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I bet Coronato would. He is a trigger man.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #223
Niemo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To be honest, I thought Coronato was 2 shoes in to play top 9 this year for the Flames from day 1. Although I still think from watching him that he will be a staple on our top 6 for years to come, he might benefit from 25 games or so of AHL top line action and experience.

Honzek may get preseason games, but definitely shouldn’t get a 1 game regular season sniff. I’m still super high on him and still thinking top line potential, but he needs another year in junior and perhaps 1 AHL year before full time NHL action.

Klapka surprised me in a good way. He would be the 1st call up assuming Pelletier and Duehr are “locks”. Let’s see where Zary is at come preseason and if Coronato progresses through main training camp and preseason.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:54 AM   #224
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
To be honest, I thought Coronato was 2 shoes in to play top 9 this year for the Flames from day 1. Although I still think from watching him that he will be a staple on our top 6 for years to come, he might benefit from 25 games or so of AHL top line action and experience.

Honzek may get preseason games, but definitely shouldn’t get a 1 game regular season sniff. I’m still super high on him and still thinking top line potential, but he needs another year in junior and perhaps 1 AHL year before full time NHL action.

Klapka surprised me in a good way. He would be the 1st call up assuming Pelletier and Duehr are “locks”. Let’s see where Zary is at come preseason and if Coronato progresses through main training camp and preseason.
Honzek should get maybe one preseason game the should be sent down. He needs more time. Whl this year, Ahl next year.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2023, 10:57 AM   #225
Niemo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To add, my fear is rushing guys. This is a different problem from when Sutter was here, but to be honest, we didn’t have a prospect that was high end enough to make the decision a “no brainer”.

I do wonder what would Sam Bennett or even Sean Monahan (as solid and awesome as he was) be if they had just 1 more year of development. Sean forced his hand by being hot in the first 8 games and Bennett had a very good rookie playoffs. But the way Bennett specifically was deployed afterwards, 1 AHL season as the top dog would’ve been very fruitful (or shouldn’t have hurt at the very least) for the Flames.

Monahan perhaps never made sense not to be in the big leagues since he was a consistent 20 goal guy from the start and the rest of his game development mattered less.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:01 AM   #226
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not to worried about Coronato not dominating. His pre season trajectory is different than a guy like Klapka who has to dominate early to ensure he gets a look.

There is a good chance that Huska and Co have sat down with him and told him that he doesn't need to turn it up to 100 until main camp. He can a afford to get up to speed and avoid injuries.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #227
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Honzek is still pretty raw. I liked what I saw from his Giants teammate Lipinski. Expecting big years from both.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM   #228
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From what I saw, there's going to be years of Edmonton no goodness. They had hard times gaining the o-zone via rush and solely relied on offensive starts to gain any traction
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:03 PM   #229
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though he's not setting the world on fire Coronato has looked arguably better than any flames "A" prospect at youngstars since Gaudreau. We've had a lot of dud performances at the tournament.

I don't think it's the best barometer given that no one's had a real camp to find their legs yet. But I guess it's hockey.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:08 PM   #230
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honzek may not have stood out much but I was pleased to see his skills were as advertised. Good speed, used his size well and has quick hands.

Seemed like he was trying to play a patient cycle game with his linemates but most of the time they weren’t in the right spot to keep the cycle going. Would routinely see him cycle the puck down low in the offensive zone and the other player was not in the right spot. Not sure if that’s a miscue from him or them.

Could also be the nature of a bunch of guys getting very little practice time together and each of them responding to this camp in different ways. Some guys will think they really need to stand out so they are constantly trying to get to the net or make a skilled play. Others just don’t want to make mistakes so they try to play a conservative, responsible cycle game in the offensive zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:08 PM   #231
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coronato's style of play isn't really the type of game to set the world on fire in this context.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #232
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I agree with your picks for the Flames, although I thought Klapka was the best and most consistent Flame by a good margin. Nikolaev was opportunistic which is something you don't say about a Flames player very often. Coronato was in the mix a lot which is what we should expect for a player challenging for a roster spot. On the other side of the ice I thought Bourgault and Petrov were standouts for the Oilers and Bourgault being the most dangerous player on the ice all game.

This was more of a game but neither team was very good. Both teams struggled to make and take passes and generate many quality scoring opportunities. In typical Oiler fashion the PP was their bread and butter where what skill they had could use the extra space to their advantage. The Flames size advantage allowed them to have a territorial edge which just didn't materialize into scoring opportunities. There was a definite lack of talent on the ice for both teams, which you would expect for two of the lower rated development organizations in the league. Any game where the Flames beat the Oilers is fun though.
I think fan expectations are way out of whack for this tournament - every year.

Four of the top 6, and 9 of the Flames' top 14 prospects (as voted by CP) weren't there, and I would guess it's a similar situation for the Oilers. The majority of the players in this tournament are fillers. And the most talented players are very young (because the best ones make the NHL at a young age).

On top of that, it is September, and most of these guys have never played with each other before.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:43 PM   #233
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta love the headline writers at the Hockey News. Flames youngstars win the game and this is their headline for the game writeup.
Oilers' Rookie Petrov Shines Bright in Loss
Old 09-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #234
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Honzek may not have stood out much but I was pleased to see his skills were as advertised. Good speed, used his size well and has quick hands.

Seemed like he was trying to play a patient cycle game with his linemates but most of the time they weren’t in the right spot to keep the cycle going. Would routinely see him cycle the puck down low in the offensive zone and the other player was not in the right spot. Not sure if that’s a miscue from him or them.

Could also be the nature of a bunch of guys getting very little practice time together and each of them responding to this camp in different ways. Some guys will think they really need to stand out so they are constantly trying to get to the net or make a skilled play. Others just don’t want to make mistakes so they try to play a conservative, responsible cycle game in the offensive zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Klapka did a great job of trying to stand out individually/ showcase himself.

As a result he made a lot of induvidual plays though. I guess that's what fans are hoping to see from top prospects here but I have no issue with guys who want to play off their teammates and work as part of the group, even if that group is disjointed or much less skilled.

Coronato used his teammates well and finished off a PP play as well as set one up. I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with how he's shown up
Old 09-17-2023, 01:08 PM   #235
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Gotta love the headline writers at the Hockey News. Flames youngstars win the game and this is their headline for the game writeup.
Oilers' Rookie Petrov Shines Bright in Loss
Not surprising. The hockey media loves the Oilers, can't wait until we win our first game against the Jets and the intermission is all about McDavid. It is what it is.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:14 PM   #236
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget Michaels egging on Parker to agree with him saying that the Flames won because of their goaltending.

They just can't take a loss sitting down without some excuse or moral victory.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:14 PM   #237
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Honzek should get maybe one preseason game the should be sent down. He needs more time. Whl this year, Ahl next year.
He needs to put 15-20 pounds on. He’ll get pounded on the big club.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:15 PM   #238
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Don't forget Michaels egging on Parker to agree with him saying that the Flames won because of their goaltending.

They just can't take a loss sitting down without some excuse or moral victory.
The Flames carried the majority of the play. The Oilers were only in it due to their 10 powerplays. 5 on 5 they are not winning that game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2023, 03:30 PM   #239
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Klapka did a great job of trying to stand out individually/ showcase himself.

As a result he made a lot of induvidual plays though. I guess that's what fans are hoping to see from top prospects here but I have no issue with guys who want to play off their teammates and work as part of the group, even if that group is disjointed or much less skilled.
This is exactly what you want with a 4th liner. A player that can do things on his own and be productive relative to the role and ice time.

Guys like Pelletier and Coronato have way more top 6 six upside when it comes to production, but they probably aren't going to benefit from playing on the 4th line. They are skilled but need to play with other skilled players to see that upside.

If Pelletier and Coronato can't seize a top 9 spot, I would rather see them start in the AHL in top 6 roles, and have a player like Klapka make the team on the 4th line. If you play young players on the 4th line, you risk developing them into 4th liners.

I fully expect Coronato to make the team out of camp though. Pelletier, I am not sure of.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:16 PM   #240
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
The Flames carried the majority of the play. The Oilers were only in it due to their 10 powerplays. 5 on 5 they are not winning that game.
Agreed!

I seriously don't know where Michaels conjured up that narrative, maybe out of his a##.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , klapka , monster truck