Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #41
shermanator
Franchise Player
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Pa-Modou Kah has left Pacific to become head coach of North Texas, which is FC Dallas' reserve team.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #42
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Exp:
Default

That's too bad for the CPL. He's going to be a star. I guess this gives him a better path to a full MLS gig.

Not too sure what to make of the MLS Next Pro. Ya'll talked about it with Mo Farsi. Is it truly a step up? Or more lateral?

Surprised a couple of Calgary kids, Adam Huskic and Dane Domic, didn't get selected in last night's draft. Thought both would be a shoe-in. Good to see the other Calgary players selected though. Big fan of Caden Rogozinski.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #43
shermanator
Franchise Player
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

IMO this MLS Next Pro is a different option for players. It's a reserve league with a more direct shot at MLS, which is a pretty lucrative gig. If CPL loses enough to this reserve league then it's a good excuse to become a more attractive place to play. There's always going to be movement at this level as players jockey to make a better living at it, that's the reality. Sucks to lose Farsi, but he wasn't going to stay here anyways. Sucks that Pacific lost Kah, but he was going to leave sooner or later for a better gig.

The whole point of CPL is to give more Canadians the opportunity to play professional soccer, as opposing to their development ending at an early age. The same is true for coaches, management, administrators, etc. So speaking to Farsi's move it's mission accomplished in that sense.

What I will say is that we should never take the stability of Cavalry for granted. Some of the rumours I've heard about Edmonton really bring that to light.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #44
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
That's too bad for the CPL. He's going to be a star. I guess this gives him a better path to a full MLS gig.

Not too sure what to make of the MLS Next Pro. Ya'll talked about it with Mo Farsi. Is it truly a step up? Or more lateral?

Surprised a couple of Calgary kids, Adam Huskic and Dane Domic, didn't get selected in last night's draft. Thought both would be a shoe-in. Good to see the other Calgary players selected though. Big fan of Caden Rogozinski.
They had a kid on the news last night (sorry I can't recall his name now), but he was hoping to be drafted and wasn't. I wonder if some of them can get a look with the Cavs anyway though, being local and obviously somewhat close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
IMO this MLS Next Pro is a different option for players. It's a reserve league with a more direct shot at MLS, which is a pretty lucrative gig. If CPL loses enough to this reserve league then it's a good excuse to become a more attractive place to play. There's always going to be movement at this level as players jockey to make a better living at it, that's the reality. Sucks to lose Farsi, but he wasn't going to stay here anyways. Sucks that Pacific lost Kah, but he was going to leave sooner or later for a better gig.

The whole point of CPL is to give more Canadians the opportunity to play professional soccer, as opposing to their development ending at an early age. The same is true for coaches, management, administrators, etc. So speaking to Farsi's move it's mission accomplished in that sense.

What I will say is that we should never take the stability of Cavalry for granted. Some of the rumours I've heard about Edmonton really bring that to light.
Maybe the long-term hope for the CPL is to become the league beneath the MLS so there is relegation/promotion? That would be amazing...obviously.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #45
shermanator
Franchise Player
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe the long-term hope for the CPL is to become the league beneath the MLS so there is relegation/promotion? That would be amazing...obviously.
Uh, no.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #46
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

Interesting. MLSNP will have all Team clubs through 2022 and 2023, but will also include independent clubs not associated with MLS (e.g. Rochester is an independent club in 2022, with more to come the year after).

It's hard to say where CPL will place among this structure, but I can see it eventually being worked into a 3rd or 4th tier of structure in a promotion/relegation system if there is a relationship to be had where that is desired.

Having said that, I'd rather CPL remain independent (for now) and have a promotion/relegation system for Canadian teams only. The purpose is to provide a vehicle for young Canadian talent to develop from amateur to professional soccer, as well as provide a league platform for developing players from more premier teams (e.g. what Karifa Yao was with Montreal loaning him out). It can also be a place for older players to recapture their game (e.g. Joe Mason).

If MLSNP is successful, I don't see why any CPL clubs couldn't become independent members of that league if looking for a larger professional presence, or at least get matches against them in some sort of Cup or tournament.

That's at least what I would like to see.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #47
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Uh, no.
Why not?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #48
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player
 
M*A*S*H 4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Losing Pa sucks for the league as a whole but he was always going to be short for the CPL. It’ll be interesting to follow his career over the next few years

The CPL will figure out its place amongst all these other leagues as they all develop in the coming years. I do hope that the CPL can eventually keep these talents instead of losing them to MLS Next but that might be a pipe dream, at least for the next few years
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #49
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

CPL clubs have been competitive when playing head to head vs MLS clubs (like when we beat Whitecaps).

I have to think MLS next is a step down from CPL, but a more direct path to MLS for players and thus more money.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #50
shermanator
Franchise Player
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

CPL and MLS / MLSNext are completely separate entities in completely separate pyramids. CPL is in the Canadian pyramid and MLS / MLSNext are in the American pyramid. There will for sure be player movement between the two but that's no different than player movement between CPL and any league in Europe.

The US pyramid has been incredibly fluid over the last decade and CPL will have to find its place in the ever changing marketplace for talent, but there really is no relationship between the leagues outside of that. The Canadian pyramid is likely to be fluid over the next decade as well as it develops but really there's one professional league and some provincial amateur leagues and that's it.

Now if we end up in a scenario where CPL as a league folds and some of the stronger clubs like Cavalry are still going, that's a different story and who knows what will really happen there.

As for pro/rel, given the nature of each league's business model where clubs pay expansion fees for the right to a team, it's a concept that likely will never happen. Even more so in the US where the newer clubs are paying hundreds of millions just to have a club. The Canadian game is starting to go down that path as well with new clubs paying 8 figure expansion fees and amateur clubs declaring a desire to get a CPL club.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #51
shermanator
Franchise Player
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

As for Kah, in an interview today he mentioned that he's always wanted to live and retire in Texas, and this opportunity to mentor players from a reserve team to the MLS side was too good to pass up. So it sounds like a very personal decision that happened to fall into place as opposed to the level being better or the pay being better or things like that...

https://twitter.com/CPLsoccer/status...61553097695235
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 04:20 PM   #52
shermanator
Franchise Player
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Okay, we have roster news...

Quote:
Returning are Marco Carducci (CAN), Tyson Farago (CAN), Tom Field (GBR), David Norman Jr. (CAN), Elliot Simmons (CAN), Elijah Adekugbe (CAN), Joe Mason (GBR), Joe Di Chiara (CAN), Ali Musse (CAN), Sergio Camargo (CAN), and Anthony Novak (CAN).

This group, including guys that have been here since day 1, have quality and character that give us a great platform to build on as we finalize our other ongoing negotiations.
There are 5 players missing from this list that Tommy told me were re-signing, including Loturi who was announced at our last supporters night. So maybe these are the players who were already signed for 2022 and the new contracts will be announced separately.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 04:24 PM   #53
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

I hope Escalante is coming back. Any news on him?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:24 PM   #54
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.
 
The Big Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

So we have enough for a starting 11, but Farago will have to play defence.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:09 PM   #55
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Couple of those could’ve left and I would’ve been OK with that. I’m glad to see we have some solid players to build around though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:16 PM   #56
Muta
Franchise Player
 
Muta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auckland, NZ
Exp:
Default

Love to see that core return! Awesome news! Only person missing is Klomp, haha. Except Di Chiara... he can go play somewhere else.

As well, in regards to Sherm's posts above... I absolutely love the Cavs, and I love the CPL. That said, if this league doesn't succeed in the long-term for whatever reason, and the stronger clubs aren't the issue - I would have no problem with this team and organization having other pro league / MLS aspirations one day. I know for a fact the CSEC was interested in having an MLS tenant in their west village sports district concept at one time. I think with the right facility and the right growth of the game across Calgary and Canada in the next 10-15 years, it could be a possibility.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #57
cheevers
Scoring Winger
 
cheevers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Love to see that core return! Awesome news! Only person missing is Klomp, haha. Except Di Chiara... he can go play somewhere else.

As well, in regards to Sherm's posts above... I absolutely love the Cavs, and I love the CPL. That said, if this league doesn't succeed in the long-term for whatever reason, and the stronger clubs aren't the issue - I would have no problem with this team and organization having other pro league / MLS aspirations one day. I know for a fact the CSEC was interested in having an MLS tenant in their west village sports district concept at one time. I think with the right facility and the right growth of the game across Calgary and Canada in the next 10-15 years, it could be a possibility.
I feel like the MLS is just such a non-entity to us. Even if we were desperate to join, they already have what, 30ish teams, and a few more coming (St. Louis maybe?). How big would you expect that league to get, the biggest leagues in North America are 32 teams, it can only have so many teams. I don't think Calgary would be anywhere near the list to get a team ever.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:01 PM   #58
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player
 
M*A*S*H 4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Hope Escalante and Klomp are back, otherwise that’s a decent foundation. Really hope Field can stay healthy next year. I liked what I saw from him in limited minutes and we desperately need more lefties
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:41 PM   #59
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!
 
Bill Bumface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Exp:
Default

I'm glad to see Mason back. His injury derailed a very bright start. Hopefully he can recapture his form.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:11 AM   #60
ditty
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Exp:
Default

Twitter rumour that Cavalry are signing 24 year old New Zealand striker Myer Bevan from Auckland City of the NZ first tier. He has six caps for New Zealand and has previous experience in NA with Whitecaps 2. He also holds Canadian citizenship through his parents.

https://twitter.com/pineynz/status/1...447422464?s=20
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
cavalry , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021