Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #121
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Hard to judge the defence when Franklin was totally over his head.

A full game with Reilly probably results in a different outcome.
I'm not so sure as is only took the Stamps one drive to adjust. Reilly locks in on Bowman and while Franklin had a rough day he didn't throw any bad passes that would result in turnovers while Reilly serves them up. It's a habit of Dickenson/Huff that they take their foot off the gas on offense when up by 7+ points as that 3rd quarter they were running a conservative offense. If the game is closer I don't believe you see those handoffs to Walter up the middle for 1 yard consistently. Reilly has never beaten the Stamps as a member of the Lions or Eskimos and while he's going to run hard he's not the most efficient passer the game has seen. Not too worried if the Stamps defense shows up like today and Cornish is back in the fold.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #122
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
The dejection is Suitor's voice is always sweet. 5 mins ago he was writing another chapter in the BOA book where he had Reilly coming back and winning the game....and then talking about how the Esks could come back if they hold the Stamps, and then that the FG was risky for Parades. Even after the kick, he called the conditions suddenly favourable.
Could be just me, but I don't think Suitor is that bad and folks here are overly sensitive about everything he says (because he was a Rider?).

I can't disagree with anything he said above. Reilly was a threat. There was risk in trying the FG. The weather did improve right at that moment.

I don't think he is cheering against the Stamps, but he is cheering for a good finish.

Last edited by troutman; 09-08-2015 at 09:28 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #123
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wit the Stamps up I think there was also the case of trying to hold a bunch of plays back for the rematch on Saturday. No reason to show the whole playbook.

And I thought this was a game where the defenses were dominate more than the offense was inept. Even the pass plays that connected had a defender there almost immediately.

But the rabbit(s) scored way more TDs and dodged more defenders than any player on either team.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #124
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Parker makes me grind my teeth, why the Stamps kept him and let Sinopoli go to the RedBlacks is puzzling. Must have been a money issue because one guy keeps getting better and the other guy appears to make the same mental errors year after year.

Also stop running that play with Walters up the middle for a decent gain every 5-6 plays and 1 yard all the rest. Going deep on second and short is fine, you can catch the defence sometimes and make them play more cautiously every time, but you aren't going to grind out first downs with your backup back and a makeshift line - at least, not against the Eskimos.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #125
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump View Post
I was at the game. It was a great atmosphere. It's always good to see McMahon that full.

Reading through the thread I'm a bit surprised to see so many 'ugly' game comments. It was obviously low scoring but I think it was more two very good defences going at it rather than two sloppy offences. A few people have suggested that the outcome would have been different if Reilly had played the whole game but I'm not so sure as not many QBs look good when Hughes and company are in the backfield on nearly every play.
The Ds were good - no doubt - that just isn't entertaining football. The CFL has to put an entertaining product on the field. It isn't the best football in terms of talent by far, so it better be entertaining.
And the last couple of seasons - it just hasn't been that good. My 2 cents.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #126
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Parker makes me grind my teeth, why the Stamps kept him and let Sinopoli go to the RedBlacks is puzzling. Must have been a money issue because one guy keeps getting better and the other guy appears to make the same mental errors year after year.
Sinopoli was presented with a Pro athlete`s dream:

-just became a free agent
-hometown just got a CFL franchise
-said franchise desperately needing quality receivers which Sinopoli coincidently plays
-RedBlacks have money to burn to sign free agents

Huff would`ve needed to break the bank to keep Sinopoli which as you know, he wasnt prepared to do.

So we`re stuck with Parker just so we can meet the National-International ratios
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #127
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Sinopoli was presented with a Pro athlete`s dream:

-just became a free agent
-hometown just got a CFL franchise
-said franchise desperately needing quality receivers which Sinopoli coincidently plays
-RedBlacks have money to burn to sign free agents

Huff would`ve needed to break the bank to keep Sinopoli which as you know, he wasnt prepared to do.

So we`re stuck with Parker just so we can meet the National-International ratios
Parker has been a bust but at least he didn't drop a sure fire TD. He has had his moments.

That's gotta be the only disappointment in this Huff era is he hasn't been able to draft a good Canadian receiver. He doesn't draft many either. Forzani's career ended with a crappy injury, Parker has been meh. He traded Armstrong for SCC who looks good but can't stay healthy.

Hopefully Durant can turn the tide. I wouldn't be surprised if Durant moves up the Rec depth chart. He has shown well every time while Parker had a horrendous game last week.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #128
Radically Red
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Durant will be that guy. Soon enough he will push Parker to wake up and play 100% or Push him down and take over his spot. If he keeps playing and developing like he has been so far that is.
Radically Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:57 AM   #129
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Could be just me, but I don't think Suitor is that bad and folks here are overly sensitive about everything he says (because he was a Rider?).

I can't disagree with anything he said above. Reilly was a threat. There was risk in trying the FG. The weather did improve right at that moment.

I don't think he is cheering against the Stamps, but he is cheering for a good finish.
I usually give commentators the benefit of the doubt, but there were plays where he was openly cheering for Edmonton. One in particular was in the 2nd or 3rd quarter and the Eskimos were blitzing and it looked like they might get a sack. Suitor yelled out "oh yeah!" like he was a fan in the crowd. Then when Paredes made the final FG all he could mutter was "huge" after a long pause, even though it basically sealed the game (barring a TD and on-side kick).
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eskimos , labour day classics , stampeders , stamps