Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #41
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just went through a similar situation. I was with company A for 7 years, we were “transitioned” to company B and I was there in a new role for 6 months before an excellent opportunity came up that I couldn’t pass. I felt really bad for my manager as he had pulled me out of a really bad situation with company A and I really liked working for him. Unfortunately, the role wasn’t a great fit and I think he knew that too. He was really good about it and was disappointed, but understood the opportunity was best for me and certainly didn’t hold it against me.

As others have said, my old team is still chugging away and it was just a bump in the road for them. Funny enough, an employee from another group that I really dislike was promoted just after I left and would have had major influence on my old role, so in the end the timing worked out perfectly.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #42
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have done the interview and stayed with my company and gotten a raise out of it several times in my Career. I advise my staff if they get the chance then do it, but be willing to leave, don't just make a bluff to get a raise and stay.

Make sure you interview, otherwise you'll kick yourself for not trying it out. If you are not 100% wanting to leave, it also makes the interviews less stressful. Likely leading the interview to be better.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #43
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Companies wouldn't hesitate to lay you off if they run out of work or feel that you aren't needed anymore, so you shouldn't feel guilty about leaving a company for a better opportunity elsewhere. You have to lookout for yourself, because no one else will.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #44
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you mean Brain Thrust
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #45
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just out of curiousty, how do you pull off the "I got another job offer, give me more money or I will leave" talk. I have always, maybe wrongly, just assumed that they would say "okay, good luck". I mean, I feel somewhat useful, but I don't know if I could pull that off.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #46
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Just out of curiousty, how do you pull off the "I got another job offer, give me more money or I will leave" talk. I have always, maybe wrongly, just assumed that they would say "okay, good luck". I mean, I feel somewhat useful, but I don't know if I could pull that off.
A lot of times companies are in a position to pay you more but if they don't have to they usually won't.

Other times people would maybe take 10% more to stay where they are vs 15% more to move to a new job.

Lots of times yes its a "sorry we can't help you" and you either leave or you bluffed and you stay anyway.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #47
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The days of employee loyalty to a company are long gone...they ended when companies stopped being loyal, in any way, to their employees.

I'm sure some smaller family run companies are an exception to this rule, but, generally, when an employee becomes less profitable to the company, they do not hesitate to find a replacement. In Canada, you can be fired without cause, and "not a fit" or "isn't working out" have become very common reasons to let people go. The company doesn't care what affect this has on your life, but many expect you to be considerate of their profit margins when deciding your whole career.

Just do your best to be polite and not offend anyone or burn bridges on the way out. You never know when an old contact within the industry may help/hurt you.

The only thing I would consider is your own stability. Is there a chance this new gig might now work out? Is it worth leaving the known stability in your present job?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #48
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Usually, you want something on hand that you are willing to take. If you get to the point of receiving an offer with another company, then mention that you're being offered at least $X (assuming wage negotiation and potentially not exact same job role) to do Y at another company (don't have to mention co if you don't want to, but people can figure out quickly) and see if the company is willing to try and match salary, give promotion, other incentives like work from home, vacation etc. If not, then likely you should consider taking the other role rather than give up a promotion/salary raise.

In some ways, it's like calling retention for whatever reason with another provider's deal and asking if company is willing to match it.

It doesn't have to be a bridge burning ordeal and it generally should be as simple as a cordial discussion of, "I am being offered this. Because I am currently employed by you, I am giving you an opportunity to match it before I accept the offer."

But as Tiger said, don't rely too heavily on a bluff. Because if you bluff incorrectly, they may congratulate you out the door and then you have no job. Blankall's comment is also valid. You may run into people again, so being polite about the whole ordeal is important.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #49
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

It's always easier to find a new job while you still have your current one.

There is literally no downside to going through the process and having an offer made to you. You then hold all the cards.

You can take the new job.
You can keep your current job and request a raise to match.
You can do nothing.

As others have said - they'll fire you (or anyone) in a heartbeat if the financial numbers don't make sense. Even if it's a super positive workplace, you love your boss and co-workers etc... it isn't a family. It's just business.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #50
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I have an offer sheet in writing, and as I said, I have to be willing to accept that offer or they may call your bluff. I present that offer to my boss, and say what can you do. I have successfully got raises 3 times out of this in my career. And one other time I ended up quitting.

And correct about not burning bridges. If you do this, state that you like it there and want to stay.

BUT... If you don't like your job, more money won't make it better (it'll give you three months of contentment). I was at a job I didn't like got offered more money on the friday, got this advice on the weekend and quit on the monday. Some jobs aren't worth the money.

Last edited by Tiger; 10-08-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #51
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #52
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Before you do this you really need to decide if you want to stay. If your boss is just unable to offer you a raise until they show their boss that you will leave
If you don’t get one then maybe it’s worth staying. But Id assume before you find a new job that you have had the wage discussion more than once. If they haven’t reacted by then why do you want to give them the opportunity to match.

I have only left a job for opportunity and a change of roles. Money is part of it but In general if money is the issue the you work for a ####ty company, the new company is grossly over valuing you, or it can be easily worked out without a threat.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #53
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Alright, I will get to it.

I'm finally at the point in my career (early 30s) where I have amassed enough experience and success to actually be able to pick and choose employers, instead of the other way around.

That said, I transitioned back into my chosen career (public affairs and government relations) from a role in the public sector about a year ago.

My current employer was great when I took the role. I was promised a lot of freedom and leeway to execute projects how I saw fit, conduct meetings, pursue strategies... All great stuff.

Well, there's been some personnel changes in the last few months, the office culture has changed, and so has executive strategy. I am now seeing a lot more direct control in my projects, and the roll-out of a new tech product, which in my opinion is poorly integrated with the services we provide clients, is over-resourced, and managed by a tech whiz kid who uses a lot of lingo that older business people love, but is not particularly well-educated in a lot of other aspects of our type of business.

That said, my team's work is still the bread-and-butter of the company. We are the most productive, and easily have the most wins of anyone else.

It's still good, and had full intention of sticking around, until three weeks ago when I was approached by two recruiters - one from my dream firm and the other from a highly-regarded boutique firm. Both positions are senior management type with a significant boost in salary.

So... my question, what do I do? Do I leave? I haven't been with my current employer for even a year and I really do like the VP that I work with, and honestly, he has really come to depend on me for a lot of things. It would crush him if I left. But the money, and the degrading office culture here... I don't know. What would you folks do? Any similar stories?

So what decision did you make?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #54
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
So what decision did you make?
Moved on to the interview stage. Will let you know.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #55
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Moved on to the interview stage. Will let you know.
Wear your best Hulk Hogan du-rag to the interview to maximize your chances of making a good first impression.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #56
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Wear your best Hulk Hogan du-rag to the interview to maximize your chances of making a good first impression.
I already grab everyone's ass and call them "brother."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #57
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I already grab everyone's ass and call them "brother."

It has not gone unnoticed.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #58
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It has not gone unnoticed.
What do you mean, brother?
Old 10-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #59
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I took the job, got a 50% raise over what I was making before, more responsibility and more autonomy, and an office with a view of the harbour. No joke. Not sure why this took me so long.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #60
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I took the job, got a 50% raise over what I was making before, more responsibility and more autonomy, and an office with a view of the harbour. No joke. Not sure why this took me so long.
Your cowardice!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: