Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #181
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
How old are your kids? Are they at risk of becoming Leaf fans?
Oldest is 8... That's a definite concern.

Part of the motivation for moving is so that the kids don't grow up in a depressed environment (it's more nuanced than that - don't read too much into that)... It would be a shame if they became leafs fans - out of the frying pan, into the fire

Last edited by you&me; 10-27-2020 at 02:19 PM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #182
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I have no intention to turn moving into a regularity and this is 100% driven by choice. Not that we've even made up our minds yet, but I suppose that's why I'm trying to be extra considerate of the effects on the kids... I'd hate to cause any issues just 'cause "mommy and daddy thought it would be nice to live in Toronto"
I wouldn’t say you’ve got much to worry about on that front.

It’ll take about a year for them to sort themselves out socially. In that time, expect a ten percent or greater drop in academic success, but like I said, just for one year and then things should stabilize as their environment becomes more predictable.

Kids are resilient, they’ll get over it.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #183
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I wouldn’t say you’ve got much to worry about on that front.

It’ll take about a year for them to sort themselves out socially. In that time, expect a ten percent or greater drop in academic success, but like I said, just for one year and then things should stabilize as their environment becomes more predictable.

Kids are resilient, they’ll get over it.
That's what I keep trying to tell myself - it's not like this is the first time in the history of man that a family has moved hahaha.

Like I said, I'm born & raised here and I've never done anything like this... It seems like I might be projecting my own nerves...

As far as the academic hit, I'm not too worried about that, but again, any issues in that regard are lessened by taking a sooner-than-later approach while school isn't too serious.

Last edited by you&me; 10-27-2020 at 03:14 PM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #184
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
That's what I keep trying to tell myself - it's not like this is the first time in the history of man that a family has moved hahaha.

Like I said, I'm born & raised here and I've never done anything like this... It seems like I might be projecting my own nerves...

As far as the academic hit, I'm not too worried about that, but again, any issues in that regard are lessened by taking a sooner-than-later approach while school isn't too serious.
I only bring up academics because they caused most of the conflict in my house growing up - mostly because my folks couldn’t understand why I was struggling.

Some of it is my fault, I can’t sit here and say my effort level was ever more than 75-80%, but I concluded recently that switching schools every two years was of absolutely no help. It’s very difficult to learn new math when you’re trying to cobble together a friend group to get you through the day.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #185
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Further news on the brain drain from Toronto, Suncor’s head office for Petro Canada moving to Calgary. 700 jobs, just like the old days, congrats on escaping the rat race you ex-Torontonians.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #186
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Further news on the brain drain from Toronto, Suncor’s head office for Petro Canada moving to Calgary. 700 jobs, just like the old days, congrats on escaping the rat race you ex-Torontonians.
Was talking to a hockey buddy last night who works for Suncor. He's in the Calgary office but pretty much his entire team was in Toronto. None of them accepted offers to relocate to Calgary, they all took a package and are leaving. He's not sure if Suncor will replace them locally fill from surplus bodies within the organization, or just not fill them at all.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #187
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Was talking to a hockey buddy last night who works for Suncor. He's in the Calgary office but pretty much his entire team was in Toronto. None of them accepted offers to relocate to Calgary, they all took a package and are leaving. He's not sure if Suncor will replace them locally fill from surplus bodies within the organization, or just not fill them at all.
Not surprising as there's a reason they call Toronto the center of the universe. A lot of Torontonians seem to think that that the rest of Canada is a massive downgrade from Toronto. I have worked with companies with offices there and they hate even coming to Calgary for a week for training or an inspection. The ones I have worked with that transplanted from Toronto never shut up about how much better the weather was, the lakes, this and that, blah blah blah. I find them more annoying than Vancouverites to be honest.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: