Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #4321
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was remiss in not mention how serentiy had rakes in the bunkers; however, they must have a rake shortage as i was in a massive bunker that had one rake and it was at the opposite end of the bunker.

they had ball washers out; however, they must have a wash solution shortage as many of them seemed dry.

my wife and i had the fortune of golfing with another couple and we are all about the same skill - whihc is nice for my wife - while i am used to being the worst golfer in the foursome
Old 06-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #4322
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i was remiss in not mention how serentiy had rakes in the bunkers; however, they must have a rake shortage as i was in a massive bunker that had one rake and it was at the opposite end of the bunker.

they had ball washers out; however, they must have a wash solution shortage as many of them seemed dry.

my wife and i had the fortune of golfing with another couple and we are all about the same skill - whihc is nice for my wife - while i am used to being the worst golfer in the foursome
It's about time! This is one of the more perplexing and annoying rules we've seen during Covid.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #4323
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's about time! This is one of the more perplexing and annoying rules we've seen during Covid.
Personally I think the rakes being gone is dumber then ball washers, but glad both are or in some cases have returned.

All my complaining of poor etiquette on here and I pulled a major **** up yesterday.... The thing is after a horrible drive, Skied it 200 yrds up and 120 yds out and into the tress, I went ahead and hit my second shot hybrid without checking the distance, not realizing the green was within range. I really struggle to even hit this green with a great tee shot. Anyways I hit a career shot, it bounced twice and rolled with in three feet of the pin. Right at the feet of the group in front of us still putting, sorry I guess I should have waited stupidity on my part. but I was over 240 out, hitting out of the rough, through the tress. They were good when I apologized and made fun of me for not making the putt.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #4324
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Personally I think the rakes being gone is dumber then ball washers, but glad both are or in some cases have returned.

All my complaining of poor etiquette on here and I pulled a major **** up yesterday.... The thing is after a horrible drive, Skied it 200 yrds up and 120 yds out and into the tress, I went ahead and hit my second shot hybrid without checking the distance, not realizing the green was within range. I really struggle to even hit this green with a great tee shot. Anyways I hit a career shot, it bounced twice and rolled with in three feet of the pin. Right at the feet of the group in front of us still putting, sorry I guess I should have waited stupidity on my part. but I was over 240 out, hitting out of the rough, through the tress. They were good when I apologized and made fun of me for not making the putt.
Nice shot!
I hit a very similar career shot yesterday on 18. 231 out from the rough, over trees, onto the green with my 4hybrid.
But mine didn't have people on it
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #4325
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played Banff Springs on the weekend and the weather was awesome. But roughly 7-8 of the greens were recently sanded, and that's so lame to me at that price. Made a massive difference on the speed obviously, still had a blast none the less, but after all the beautiful scenery, lush fairways, those sanded greens really stood out.

And I had to laugh at the driving range, only because its been a hot topic on here recently. Not only was it off mats, but you had to be careful with your driver. A guy stopped and waited as I was teeing one up and then I realized he was just waiting for me to hit so I didn't smoke him in the head on my back swing.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #4326
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Played Banff Springs on the weekend and the weather was awesome. But roughly 7-8 of the greens were recently sanded, and that's so lame to me at that price. Made a massive difference on the speed obviously, still had a blast none the less, but after all the beautiful scenery, lush fairways, those sanded greens really stood out.

And I had to laugh at the driving range, only because its been a hot topic on here recently. Not only was it off mats, but you had to be careful with your driver. A guy stopped and waited as I was teeing one up and then I realized he was just waiting for me to hit so I didn't smoke him in the head on my back swing.
I'm playing my second round out there next Sunday and I'm hoping the greens are ready to go by then. The greens were very good a couple weeks ago.

The driving range was a disaster when I was out there for my first round though. They had half of it closed for lessons, although no one was actually using it but there was a couple staff that wouldn't let anyone on those mats. The other mats were all being used and no one seemed interested in leaving. I waited twenty minutes for a mat and only managed to hit about 15 balls before my tee time. When I left there was about a dozen people waiting to hit some balls
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #4327
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post

As long as its rolling up on the green I commend those folks for hitting a great shot and keeping the pace of play. It's different if someone is flying the pin.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #4328
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My golf game has completely fallen apart to the point that I don't even think I want to play anymore this summer. It was never really good but there were always a few shots that I could rely on especially around the green but today was an absolute disaster. The amount of times that I failed to hit the green from within a hundred yards was laughed and I was lucky to be able to chip to within 20 feet from off the green. What a terrible game.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:29 PM   #4329
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golfed on Saturday with my son at blue devil. I had to have set a record for golf futility as I shot 116 and did not lose my ball.

I believe I 4 putted 16 greens.

Played serenity with my wife this morning. Was likely 60 on the front nine,but 50 on the back. Felt at I could putt today.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:43 AM   #4330
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Longest day of the year...a great evening to try to play 18 after work. Who's giving it a go?
Old 06-21-2021, 08:21 AM   #4331
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Longest day of the year...a great evening to try to play 18 after work. Who's giving it a go?
May head to the range in the evening but playing Water Valley around noon. Never been there before so I’m looking forward to it
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #4332
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played Brewsters Kananaskis yesterday and it was beautiful. Pretty narrow and some weird hole lengths (really long Par 3's but really short Par 4's) but it was fun. Cart path only was a pain though. Worth the money to try out at least.

Playing Heatherglen at 5:45 tonight to test out the longest day of the year!
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #4333
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Worked at Kananaskis prior to the flood and for many years there was a foursome that would book a 6:30'ish round, then a 12:30'ish round followed up by Twi-light (which they would always finish). I always thought it was the coolest way celebrate the Summer Solstice (and golf).
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BowRiverBruinsRule For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #4334
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Back in the days of $100+ oil there were some oilman tournaments that would fly up to Whitehorse for the midnight twilight rounds on the solstice.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #4335
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've had a fairly long running Solstice tournament around this time of year (not always on this day, but close). It used to be just as many holes as you could play and I did 92 one year IIRC. Now it's "only" 3 rounds and you can finish that really easily at this point.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #4336
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Golfed on Saturday with my son at blue devil. I had to have set a record for golf futility as I shot 116 and did not lose my ball.

I believe I 4 putted 16 greens.

Played serenity with my wife this morning. Was likely 60 on the front nine,but 50 on the back. Felt at I could putt today.
You should spend $100 on a putting lesson. Assuming you two putted the other two greens, you had 68 putts. That can’t be fun. If you two putted every green you would have shot 84, which is very respectful. My mind is boggled from 68 putts. I would quit golf if I did that.

I changed my grip as I keep spraining my right pinky so I am attempting to move to an overlapping grip. I like to move the ball right to left but this grip has me hitting everything left to right. I am already signed up for lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #4337
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
May head to the range in the evening but playing Water Valley around noon. Never been there before so I’m looking forward to it
You might finish if you tee off at noon...
Old 06-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #4338
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
You should spend $100 on a putting lesson. Assuming you two putted the other two greens, you had 68 putts. That can’t be fun. If you two putted every green you would have shot 84, which is very respectful. My mind is boggled from 68 putts. I would quit golf if I did that.
Perhaps I need to spend time at a math camp...perhaps it was not as many 4 putts as I thought, but my putting was terrible. I felt I pyutted much better on Sunday.

My goal is to be no worse than double bogie. I figure if I mix in a few apps, I can get to 95 to 99. I would be very happy with that.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:08 PM   #4339
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you only do one putting drill, do the gate drill. You will be amazed at how much better you will putt.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #4340
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
If you only do one putting drill, do the gate drill. You will be amazed at how much better you will putt.
100% this ^^

Putting straight and without side spin is important.

I also highly recommend aimpoint, if nothing else it gives you a ton of confidence on 7ft and under putting, so your make % goes way up. Reading greens with your feet is also fast and the eyes lie, another tick in the pro column for aimpoint.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow