Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #1921
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is pretty surprising that Rudolph didn't get suspended, but he does suck #### so maybe keeping him out there is a greater punishment.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #1922
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I would be shocked if there is criminal charges. There were no injuries as far as I can tell.
The way I think about these is if this happened in any other context does it break the law. I think that hitting someone in the head with a helmet is assault if it happened on the street, if it happened during a game of pick up, or if it happened in minor football. Just because it happened on an NFL field should be no different.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #1923
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It is pretty surprising that Rudolph didn't get suspended, but he does suck #### so maybe keeping him out there is a greater punishment.
I surprised that he has a haircut not seen since Risky Business.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #1924
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The way I think about these is if this happened in any other context does it break the law. I think that hitting someone in the head with a helmet is assault if it happened on the street, if it happened during a game of pick up, or if it happened in minor football. Just because it happened on an NFL field should be no different.
Every slash, hockey fight, body check, etc that happens in every NHL game would be assault if you did it to someone randomly on the street.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #1925
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
5 seconds? No - it was a split second late. Still, really unnecessary at that point in the game.
Would have been a penalty if it was Brady. 100%.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #1926
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Would have been a penalty if it was Brady. 100%.
Congrats on choosing one of the two outliers (Rodgers probably gets that call even easier).
Old 11-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #1927
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Every slash, hockey fight, body check, etc that happens in every NHL game would be assault if you did it to someone randomly on the street.
The degree of intensity is obviously going to be a factor, that and consent.

In hockey by and large you are consenting you getting body checked, and often when there is a fight there is also consent. Infact, when you lace them up you expect someone of these things to happen, and you implicitly agree to take the risks associated.

That said, if someone gets mugged on the ice, of slashed in the face purposefully the degree of intensity rises, and level of consent becomes blurry.

The fact is no one signs up to play football expecting to have a helmet swung at their exposed head.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #1928
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theres a good article on SI this morning about the legalities. They also said the chances of charges are very very small.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #1929
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Theres a good article on SI this morning about the legalities. They also said the chances of charges are very very small.
After watching it a few more times I think that you are right, any more contact though and that would have been a mess.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #1930
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Potential Legal Fallout From the Myles Garrett-Mason Rudolph Fight on Thursday Night

It’s safe to assume that the NFL will suspend Garrett for a period of time after he pulled off Rudolph’s helmet and struck the QB’s with it. Could there be any criminal charges filed beyond the NFL?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/15/my...-legal-fallout
One of the very few things that I remember from Torts class was a hypothetical similar to the instant case. Finally, Torts has come in handy.

As an aside, it seems to me that the Browns should just fire Garrett and be done with it. I’m sure that there is a morals or “no disrepute” clause in his contract that would allow the organization to just cut him and not owe any balance of his contract.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #1931
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
One of the very few things that I remember from Torts class was a hypothetical similar to the instant case. Finally, Torts has come in handy.

As an aside, it seems to me that the Browns should just fire Garrett and be done with it. I’m sure that there is a morals or “no disrepute” clause in his contract that would allow the organization to just cut him and not owe any balance of his contract.
He's their best defensive player. I just can't see that happening. Remember this is the same team that picked up Kareem Hunt and as long as Dorsey is the GM talent will always be valued higher than character.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #1932
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post

Except that this is a team that just signed Kareem Hunt, who is seen kicking a woman on video....and won their last two games with him on the team.

Garrett is a very talented player, who has yet to be proven as someone who abuses women, children, or anyone off the field.

So...yeah, they'll deal with this, and keep him on the team. They don't want him signing in Cincinatti next year. Sort of being proven to be a Hitler like person off the field....nothing will keep him out of the league.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #1933
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

From what I can tell from Browns fans, Garrett was viewed as a kind of mild-mannered "zen poet", and this incident is really out of character for him. He has shown contrition and promised to address his teammates today - I'm sure the Browns will support him and have him back.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #1934
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick estrada View Post
he's their best defensive player. I just can't see that happening. Remember this is the same team that picked up kareem hunt league that allows many criminals to play and as long as dorsey is the gm talent every gm wants to win, talent will always be valued higher than character by every team in the league, bar none.
fyp.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #1935
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
From what I can tell from Browns fans, Garrett was viewed as a kind of mild-mannered "zen poet", and this incident is really out of character for him. He has shown contrition and promised to address his teammates today - I'm sure the Browns will support him and have him back.
Other than punching Delanie Walker and ending Siemian's season on a late hit, I guess so?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #1936
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Other than punching Delanie Walker and ending Siemian's season on a late hit, I guess so?

Thanks, I was not aware of those incidents, so had a look just now.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #1937
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's their best defensive player. I just can't see that happening. Remember this is the same team that picked up Kareem Hunt and as long as Dorsey is the GM talent will always be valued higher than character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Except that this is a team that just signed Kareem Hunt, who is seen kicking a woman on video....and won their last two games with him on the team.

Garrett is a very talented player, who has yet to be proven as someone who abuses women, children, or anyone off the field.

So...yeah, they'll deal with this, and keep him on the team. They don't want him signing in Cincinatti next year. Sort of being proven to be a Hitler like person off the field....nothing will keep him out of the league.
All true.

But if ticket sales start to slump, or tv networks start saying that they won’t broadcast a game with X team in it because of their players’ on/off field actions, or people start abandoning football ala the CTE issue, well, then, maybe things will change.

But perhaps that will never happen, and we will continue to mindlessly watch a relatively violent game played by some relatively violent people, where a select few become wealthy, a few get rich for a short while, and at least a sizeable minority suffer life-long consequences.

I love the game of football, but man it sure is getting hard to enjoy it.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #1938
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

didn't expect suspensions so quickly. I'd have given Rudolph one and maybe Pouncey a 4th, but in general I'm pleasantly surprised.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #1939
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/15/my...-mason-rudolph

Quote:
“Last night, I made a terrible mistake,” Garrett said. “I lost my cool and what I did was selfish and unacceptable. I know that we are all responsible for our actions and I can only prove my true character through my actions moving forward. I want to apologize to Mason Rudolph, my teammates, our entire organization, our fans and to the NFL. I know I have to be accountable for what happened, learn from my mistake and I fully intend to do so."
Old 11-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #1940
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can someone explain the purpose of the Kaepernick workout from the NFL perspective? I don’t know why they’re doing this. Seems like a big PR stunt
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote