Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #261
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lack of plan B is definitely troubling, but I think plan A (Kadri trade) was the right call all along, it's just a real shame it didn't work out. I am encouraged though that he seems to have identified the 2C position as that which needs the upgrade the most (as many of us have been saying since before last season began!)

Tyler Johnson is someone I am interested in still, but another NTC to complicate matters.

Turris I think is plan C, if we can get Nashville to take James Neal...

Otherwise I think the solution will be something none of us have even considered thoroughly (a la Lindy-Hanifin)

As time goes on without even a whiff of plan B (or C, or anything at all really), I知 starting to believe plan B might just be more buyouts.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #262
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

^
What makes you think that Treliving is without a backup plan? Training camp is still two months away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #263
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

People need to realize Brad Treliving does not have mind control super powers to use on fellow GM's. It takes two to tango and Treliving probably has a plan B, C, D, etc but they all revolve around other teams being; a) interested in the player, b) having the salary cap space to take on the player, c) have the assets the Flames covet in return, etc. He probably talks daily with a lot of GM's trying to sort out the details as each side it trying to get the best deal possible on their end. It seems like some fans want a deal today for nothing other than instant gratification. I personally don't care if it takes until late August to get the very best deals possible for the Flames because at the end of the day nobody looking back will ever care about the date of the transaction, only the results of it.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #264
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't know what fans are expecting. The core failed this post season, Treliving isn't going to start trading the core or make panic moves. They were 1st in the regular season and he is giving them one more chance next season.

If they fail next year its going to be a busy summer 2020
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #265
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the only time Tre not having (or going to) a plan B has bothered me was missing out on McE last year. I could be wrong in remembering our waiver position, but I remember it as passing on a reliable backup to give plan A more time. In hindsight, even if I'm remembering our waiver position properly it would have meant SFA in the end anyway.

Otherwise, I think we've seen Treliving adjust course many times in his tenure, and the team has progressively improved every facet of the team and depth since he arrived. There's so much more than what makes it to our ears going on and thus far his course has been pretty confidence inspiring if it's not as hasty as some would like.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #266
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I think the only time Tre not having (or going to) a plan B has bothered me was missing out on McE last year. I could be wrong in remembering our waiver position, but I remember it as passing on a reliable backup to give plan A more time. In hindsight, even if I'm remembering our waiver position properly it would have meant SFA in the end anyway.

Otherwise, I think we've seen Treliving adjust course many times in his tenure, and the team has progressively improved every facet of the team and depth since he arrived. There's so much more than what makes it to our ears going on and thus far his course has been pretty confidence inspiring if it's not as hasty as some would like.
I think Carolina had priority (1 or 2 spots) over Calgary last season
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #267
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Carolina had waiver priority over the Flames when he was waived.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #268
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Not really fair. Treliving clearly had a play to improve the roster but it got nixed by a player's NTC.

The lack of plan B so far is troubling, but given how dynamic the market is, with teams needs being updated on the fly in real time, not entirely his fault either.

Unfortunately, trying is one thing, but if he's left himself in a spot where the market for Brodie, Frolik no longer exists, and there are no real targets to bring in players to improve the team, then the roster is basically the same as last year (minus smith, Hathaway). I am not overly excited about that either, as I expect regression from guys that had career years, but at the same time, what kind of growth can we expect from Tkachuk, dube, Jankowski, valimaki, Andersson, and how much better is the goalie situation with Talbot vs smith.
It was not nixed by a player's NTC. If it was it was considerably more than Brodie at fully salary for Kadri as the actual trade was Colorado giving far more.

If it was all up to Trevling then he could have traded Neal for Kadri --- basically as much of a reasonable chance as Brodie for Kadri even up.

Maybe the Flames owe the Leafs a future favor by them saying Kadri used his NTC rather than saying the Flames way over value their players?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #269
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wonder if the Pens and Bjugstad could be a fit. Can play RW or C. Right hand shot.

2 years left at $4.1 million AAV.

Pens can't be taking much salary back so probably need to get a 3rd team involved.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-10-2019 at 01:33 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #270
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik + pick for Bjugstad?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #271
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think luck has favoured Tre and his trades the last few years, but this summer his luck has dried up. He did all he could for the Kadri trade, but lost out for reasons beyond his control. I don't fault him for it.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #272
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It was not nixed by a player's NTC. If it was it was considerably more than Brodie at fully salary for Kadri as the actual trade was Colorado giving far more.

If it was all up to Trevling then he could have traded Neal for Kadri --- basically as much of a reasonable chance as Brodie for Kadri even up.

Maybe the Flames owe the Leafs a future favor by them saying Kadri used his NTC rather than saying the Flames way over value their players?
This is deep down the rabbit hole kind of stuff here. It's like reading about the moon hoax or flat earth conspiracies, but with hockey players names and teams inserted for Wernher von Braun, NASA and the Antarctic Treaty.

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #273
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Frolik + pick for Bjugstad?
Why does Pittsburgh do this? Not saving any cap and get less years with the lesser player.

They would be more inclined to simply trade him for draft picks.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #274
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Team makes shockingly early playoff exit after strong season, with holes exposed against a similarly inexperienced younger team.

Treliving: Aside from a nixed trade, absolutely no reaction whatsoever, stays the course.

Let them grow through it, sure. But the team needs some tweaking too.
Not sure I'd say no reaction whatsoever given the Toronto Calgary deal that was nuked by a NTC.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #275
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
As time goes on without even a whiff of plan B (or C, or anything at all really), I知 starting to believe plan B might just be more buyouts.
Are you used to getting plan whiffs from Treliving?

I'm not.

The number of guys that assume a lack of news is a slam dunk for either not having a plan or being lazy is incredible to me.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #276
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I'm not.

The number of guys that assume a lack of news is a slam dunk for either not having a plan or being lazy is incredible to me.

Yeah, we know Tree is pretty much in on everything. Dude is at it all day. As an impatient fan, I知 just ready for that next stage of the summer. I want to move on from this period of off-season fandom of wondering what will happen and into the next phase of getting myself wildly excited for October because of what has happened.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #277
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I think that the depth that the Flames have on defense is significantly unproven and over-rated.

Removing the clear cut best RD from the mix, with whom the best player (who has his 36th Birthday in October) has played his best is a huge risk.

Hamonic is currently the only Flame D that is at all interested in playing a physical game.

As far as keeping Brodie this year.... Neal 3.88 and Stone 2.33 give 6M as buyouts this year ... more than Brodie's 4.6 in cap savings
Well the Flames flipped Brodie to the third pairing numerous times last season after games where he struggled. I'm not a Brodie basher but that suggests your "clear cut" monicker might be hastily laid.

Andersson coming on.
Team has depth
Brodie has a year left on his contract.

This is what NHL teams do to manage the salary cap.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #278
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I'm not.

We致e at least typically had some idea of guys the Flames have inquired about or might be interested in. The only such news I知 aware of outside of Ferland is a broken down, aging Pat Maroon. And I知 also not seeing any obvious fit for Brodie and Frolik with the cap crunch many teams are facing. Buyouts for Frolik and/or Stone are looking more likely, or dumping Brodie for a couple of picks no team would miss. Cap space has to be created somehow.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #279
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
We致e at least typically had some idea of guys the Flames have inquired about or might be interested in. The only such news I知 aware of outside of Ferland is a broken down, aging Pat Maroon. And I知 also not seeing any obvious fit for Brodie and Frolik with the cap crunch many teams are facing. Buyouts for Frolik and/or Stone are looking more likely, or dumping Brodie for a couple of picks no team would miss. Cap space has to be created somehow.
Sometimes we hear things sure ... but not from Treliving. Guessing the Kadri info was coming out of Toronto, same as the Zucker info from Minny.

He's certainly not one to lay out plans.

What we do know is he's a many irons in the fire guy and uses the word process to much.

I'm guessing he two or three processes running right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #280
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
^
What makes you think that Treliving is without a backup plan? Training camp is still two months away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Don't know what fans are expecting. The core failed this post season, Treliving isn't going to start trading the core or make panic moves. They were 1st in the regular season and he is giving them one more chance next season.

If they fail next year its going to be a busy summer 2020
I was not expecting something major, but it's clear that the Flames have an excess of defencemen and could use an upgrade at the #2 RW/C position. The Flames had defencemen that teams wanted, but they were unable to make any moves.

I am not optimistic at this point. It seems that most teams the Flames would have traded with have now jammed themselves up with their own cap issues. I do not see a backup plan anymore.

The whole situation is a little disheartening. I know the Flames killed in the regular season last season, but they need more offensive drive.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: