Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #1901
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is running 10.13.2. I have wondered if it is software related as it ran pretty well when I first got it and I used it over my Win10 and Ubuntu laptops. But now... It is very barebones for installed software, Office 365, Chrome, VMware, that's about it.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #1902
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Beyond resetting the NVRAM (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204063), not sure there's much else to try, I think it automatically repairs the disk permissions since El Capitan. I guess you could try the disk repair utility to check to see if there's any problems with the disk.

I'd probably try a clean OS install after that to eliminate that possiblity (I've never had to do that with a Mac), maybe it's hardware, a problem in RAM thats high enough that it doesn't have a huge impact on the OS but makes the apps behave oddly.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #1903
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was thinking of doing a clean OS install as I feel like all of this started with an OS update.

I will try the NVRAM first though.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #1904
photon

Exp:

Updated my current work MBP to High Sierra a few weeks ago and it's been running ok, on a Mid 2012 model.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #1905
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Anyone here familiar with Macbook Pro laptops? This thing is slowly turning into a hunk of junk and I am wondering if I should wipe and start over or something along those lines.

It is a mid 2015, 15" retina with a 2.2Ghz i7 and 16Gb of ram. Spec wise it sounds ok but it is running very slow compared to when I got it about 6 months ago. Randomly it will not wake up so I have to do the long press power down with the power button. Most pages of chrome do not work properly, cannot click on boxes to fill in text, intermittent scrolling. Certain non apple mouses work erratically as well as keyboards. In general it is becoming very frustrating to use compared to when I first got it. Wondering if any of this is normal? Anything to be done?
I just replaced my late 2008 MBP. I only ever had 2 previous issues with it, 1) the battery expanded and put pressure on the internals making the trackpad erratic and generally causing poor performance, solved by new battery and 2) lousy internet performance which was fixed by updating the OS to the latest I could for that model. I would think that 2015 shouldn't have the OS issue but perhaps the battery thing could happen. I'm not sure the kids at the Genius bar are really geniuses but they do know all the basic diagnostics and resets so a quick trip there could be worth it.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #1906
photon

Exp:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/02...at-pass-tests/

Looks like the cheap battery was contingent on it having lost 20% or more of its capacity, but now they've removed that so anyone can get it.

Apple has since independently confirmed to MacRumors that it will agree to replace an eligible battery for a $29 fee, regardless of whether an official diagnostic test shows that it is still able to retain less than 80 percent of its original capacity. The concession appears to have been made to mollify the anger of customers stoked by headlines suggesting that Apple artificially slows down older iPhones to drive customers to upgrade to newer models.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #1907
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

ugh i think my mac mini just died forever. it is chiming repeatedly with no video output and won't power the usb keyboard.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #1908
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So I need some CP help. I have a circa 2009 Macbook which has finally run its course. I'm looking at getting either a iMac or Mac Mini. Both have similar specs it seems to me. The only difference is having a monitor vs using my tv which means that even after purchasing a mouse and keyboard the mini would save me $200 or so. Am I missing something? How smoothly does the mini work using your TV as the monitor? Any help would be desired. Oh, and I don't really do much anymore other than surfing, the odd word or excel sheet
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #1909
photon

Exp:

The minis are really outdated internally IMO, I keep hoping they'll update them and I'd probably get one. Never used a TV as a monitor for one.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #1910
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
So I need some CP help. I have a circa 2009 Macbook which has finally run its course. I'm looking at getting either a iMac or Mac Mini. Both have similar specs it seems to me. The only difference is having a monitor vs using my tv which means that even after purchasing a mouse and keyboard the mini would save me $200 or so. Am I missing something? How smoothly does the mini work using your TV as the monitor? Any help would be desired. Oh, and I don't really do much anymore other than surfing, the odd word or excel sheet
Mac minis haven't had their hardware updated since 2014. I would not pay full price for one. There is some speculation they might get an update at some point in 2018.

The imacs were last updated in June 2017
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #1911
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I use a mac mini as my plex server and home automation hub. Its outputting to a 43" tv just fine and looks great. I have had zero issues with it and it speeds along like the first day i bought it. Personally I love the mini as I unplug it and take it with me camping plugging it into my tv so my daughter can watch movies if the weather gets bad (yeah i know its not really camping) through iTunes or VLC and the remote works just like an apple tv. I am rather certain you can find a current get mac mini for around $400-$500 if you hunt around a bit.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 AM   #1912
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I took my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar just to see what they'd say about it and they told me that because it has a swelling battery that they'd have to replace the whole thing for $100 with a new iPhone 5. I just wanted to get a sanity check done because my reaction is that there's no way an iPhone 5 is worth $100, new-in-box or not. What do you guys think?

Also, pretty interesting that if your battery catastrophically fails instead of just sort of slowly dies you can ostensibly get a brand new device.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #1913
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

To me, I'd pay $100 for an iPhone 5. It's off contract. Compared to a newer device that costs 10x more, it sounds like a fantastic deal. There's a very good chance that it could last you at least a couple years.

I'd jump on it personally!
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #1914
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

lol that's a smoking deal. Way more than fair of them.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #1915
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Agreed- if you want to stick with an iPhone 5 that is a good deal.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #1916
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe see if you can get a bit of a deal on an SE? Same dimensions as the 5 but with upgraded internals, might last you a bit longer.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #1917
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just received a visual voicemail that was transcribed. This is the first time I have ever received a transcribed voicemail, yet it looks like the feature has been around since iOS 10. Any reason why it just started for me now? Since seems pretty handy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #1918
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im balking at the price because my current iPhone 5 is still technically functional, even with the bulging battery. I have no problem continuing on with the 5, except that several of my my used apps are dropping support for 32 but iPhones in the next couple months, so I’m going to need to upgrade soon whether I really want to or not.

I’m desperately hoping for an iPhone SE 2 to launch in March. I’d be the first person in line, and I’ve never lined up for a phone before. I’ve also heard some weak rumours of a Galaxy S9 mini. Basically whoever brings out a new device with an overall diagonal dimension around 5 inches is getting my money.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #1919
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
Im balking at the price because my current iPhone 5 is still technically functional, even with the bulging battery. I have no problem continuing on with the 5, except that several of my my used apps are dropping support for 32 but iPhones in the next couple months, so I’m going to need to upgrade soon whether I really want to or not.

I’m desperately hoping for an iPhone SE 2 to launch in March. I’d be the first person in line, and I’ve never lined up for a phone before. I’ve also heard some weak rumours of a Galaxy S9 mini. Basically whoever brings out a new device with an overall diagonal dimension around 5 inches is getting my money.
I hadn't heard that but I'd be all over it as well. Would love to have a phone the size of my iPhone 4...that was ideal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #1920
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So I just received a visual voicemail that was transcribed. This is the first time I have ever received a transcribed voicemail, yet it looks like the feature has been around since iOS 10. Any reason why it just started for me now? Since seems pretty handy.
Back in my day (which was a Tuesday) we called that "a page" from a Pager.

MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote