Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its time to ban wood fire pits in the city just use a propane fire pit. I don't care about the noise of people around a fire its the damn smoke and smell not to mention burning embers. They may have been acceptable in the city in a time before house were stacked right on top of each other but I can't figure out how its still acceptable today.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #22
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Its time to ban wood fire pits in the city just use a propane fire pit. I don't care about the noise of people around a fire its the damn smoke and smell not to mention burning embers. They may have been acceptable in the city in a time before house were stacked right on top of each other but I can't figure out how its still acceptable today.
Should my wood fireplace be banned as well? Still has embers and smell still goes to the neighbors however my house will definitely burn down first and hopefully my neighbors have fire resistant siding.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #23
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Should my wood fireplace be banned as well? Still has embers and smell still goes to the neighbors however my house will definitely burn down first and hopefully my neighbors have fire resistant siding.
Yes it should. Burning wood in any way in the city should be banned.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #24
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP houses who use wood to heat
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Consider a chiminea. One with a single mouth and not the 360° mesh all around. I find that the fire really swirls in there so it burns hotter, which means less smoke and less debris after.

Clay ones are nice, but require a bit more attention as they can’t be outside when it gets too cold. Cast iron will show some rust/character but don’t have to be babied like the clay ones.

In all seriousness though, I have one of these and its great to have in the city. You can have a decent-sized fire without the normal concerns of having an open fire.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #26
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't stand fire pits in the city. It's 22 degrees out in the evening and my neighbours get that fire going!

Awesome now my house smells like smoke. Even with the windows closed it gets into the house. I'd love it if people used propane.

I find it really hard on my lungs to be honest.

Somehow a little cigarette 20 feet from a doorway is considered a problem but a fire in a backyard 20 feet from my house isn't.
I like my neighbors but firepits shouldn't be allowed.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #27
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes it should. Burning wood in any way in the city should be banned.
then we can get rid of the fire department...

Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can get smokeless fire pit inserts. I've never tried one but they seem to have good reviews. Not sure it helps with the smell though.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #29
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
RIP houses who use wood to heat
Its funny because I was going to put in a caveat about this but then thought if you heat your house with wood in 2019 its a problem.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #30
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
then we can get rid of the fire department...

Well yeah, if your house is on fire (burning wood) we only need police to arrest you, well give you a fine anyway.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #31
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Its funny because I was going to put in a caveat about this but then thought if you heat your house with wood in 2019 its a problem.
Why is it a problem? I know someone who does and it's quite efficient, to the point where natural gas could be 100% disconnected if they had an electric hot water heater.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #32
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could pretend its about the environment or something but to me its just the smoke and smell and in saying that I don't know much about heating a home with wood so I don't know if its the same as a fire pit in that sense. You would have to live in a pretty old home/community for that though I assume?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #33
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

There is nothing I love more than smelling a campfire in my neighborhood.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #34
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could pretend its about the environment or something but to me its just the smoke and smell and in saying that I don't know much about heating a home with wood so I don't know if its the same as a fire pit in that sense. You would have to live in a pretty old home/community for that though I assume?
Look up wood pellet furnace. Quite efficient, some can use logs as well. Good if you're a prepper.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #35
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy behind me installed a wood burning stove in his garage/workshop to heat it. I will admit that I do love the smell.

My folks live in Beddington, and although they've converted their fireplace to gas, there are plenty of wood burning ones from the early eighties and earlier that are still in operation. You can really notice it in the winter, and especially around Christmas. This is obviously not the primary source of heat for these homes though. But lots of homes still have wood burning fireplaces.

Not to thump on my chiminea drum again, but the key to reducing smoke is to have a nice, hot fire. The airflow through a chiminea really gets it burning hotter than an open pit or bowl, thus reducing the smoke.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #36
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Yep. And as long as its not crazy out of hand at 1 am, I like the sound of people talking and laughing around a campfire on a summer evening. It reminds me I live in a neighbourhood with active, social people, and not rows and rows of homes with recluses glued in front of screens 24/7.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #37
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just reason 1 million to move out of the city. I can have a fire without annoying other people, and other peoples fires won't annoy me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #38
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yep. And as long as its not crazy out of hand at 1 am, I like the sound of people talking and laughing around a campfire on a summer evening. It reminds me I live in a neighbourhood with active, social people, and not rows and rows of homes with recluses glued in front of screens 24/7.
FFS. You can be reminded you live in a neighbourhood with a social scene without smoke being pumped into your window. And if your neighbours aren't actively sitting in front of a wood-burning fire like cavemen, it doesn't mean they're glued to their screens.

That brings up another thing that pisses me off lately. Ragging on people on their screens. I work all day. Mess around with kids activities and all the other responsibilities I have evenings and weekends. If I want to carve out an hour or so to read the news, post on CP, check out Reddit, watch some YouTube, etc., there is nothing wrong with that.

But back to the fire thing - why are you pretending listening to other people yucking it up outside your bedroom window while smoke pours in is an objectively enjoyable experience? Like, you can't see how that would be bothersome to some people?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #39
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I personally love the smell as well, but am surprised it is still allowed in a city like Calgary.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
But back to the fire thing - why are you pretending listening to other people yucking it up outside your bedroom window while smoke pours in is an objectively enjoyable experience? Like, you can't see how that would be bothersome to some people?
Smoke doesn't pour into my window even when I'm having a fire in my own yard. By 'pouring into your bedroom window' I think you mean you can faintly smell smoke. Just because you can smell something doesn't mean it's hurting you. And if it bothers you that much, just close your window. Same with the people who get furious that they can hear music from Princess Island at 10:30 PM a few nights a year.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: