Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #61
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

P65 for my bonus room and p55 for basement. Loved the tv that much. Can't recommend it enough.

edit: To expand

Pros
-Incredible picture quality for the price. You have to spend nearly double to get the same quality on a Samsung or Sony
-The local dimming is really remarkable
-Smartcast isn't perfect but works great with netflix, youtube, plex
-Blazing fast refresh rate only beaten by OLEDS so its great for games
-Colours are incredible and rich
-Costco standard warranty is 2 years (Vizio is owned by Costco so if you buy new that's what you get)

Last edited by White Out 403; 05-11-2019 at 11:43 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #62
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
P65 for my bonus room and p55 for basement. Loved the tv that much. Can't recommend it enough.

edit: To expand

Pros
-Incredible picture quality for the price. You have to spend nearly double to get the same quality on a Samsung or Sony
-The local dimming is really remarkable
-Smartcast isn't perfect but works great with netflix, youtube, plex
-Blazing fast refresh rate only beaten by OLEDS so its great for games
-Colours are incredible and rich
-Costco standard warranty is 2 years (Vizio is owned by Costco so if you buy new that's what you get)
I don't think Costco owns Vizio, does it?
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #63
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I don't think Costco owns Vizio, does it?
Sure do. They bought the brand 2013ish.

Hmm. Maybe store exclusivity?

I can't find anything about Costco buying Vizio..

3rd edit.. Ya.. Looks like I made that up. Oops.

Last edited by White Out 403; 05-12-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #64
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The p 55 is on sale now 889 in store.

Can't go wrong with that price.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #65
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wife convinced me that we should re-arrange the basement entertainment area so last week I ran a new network drop on the opposite wall and moved everything around. It looks phenomenal, except now my beautiful 55" Samsung KS8500 looks... well, positively puny for the space.

The Vizio P75-F1 is priced pretty nicely, and the reviews from rtings.com look great. Going to have to convince the wife now, it was her idea to rearrange the basement!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #66
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

16 year old me would have gone ape#### over a 65" tv.

37 year old me wishes he had bought a 80" TV because the 65" is too small and his eyesight really kind of sucks

weird how that works
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #67
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

37 year old me wishes he had bought a 80" TV because the 65" is too small and his eyesight really kind of sucks

weird how that works
That's kind of par for the course as far as technology is concerned. People with black and white televisions were blown away by color television. Now we fuss about whether or not a television supports a wide color gamut.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #68
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

weird how that works
16 year old me was happy as hell when he got a used black and white pos that the picture would zip down to a bright dot when you shut it off.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #69
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I want to get a new TV. I'm looking at Costco because I have gift cards and I've narrowed my choice between these two: LG OLED55C9 55-in & Vizio Quantum PQ65-F1 65-in

I sit pretty close to the TV so 55 inches is about the perfect size. They don't have the Vizio in that size so I'm looking at the 65in. If they did this decision would be easier.

The C9 is on sale for the same price as the C8 so that's a bonus. I could get the E8 for $300 less but I think the new features of the C9 are worth the extra money. What I'm not sure is if they're worth $1000 over getting the Vizio.

Things like eARC and VRR are interesting. I'd like to use my TV for more PC gaming so that could be a plus. Both have excellent input lag, with the LG being a touch ahead.

The picture quality of the LG is obviously better in every way except brightness. My living room doesn't get much light so that isn't a huge issue. I never had an issue with my plasma.

My only real concern with the LG is burn-in. I never had serious issues with my plasma. Is the risk worse on OLED?

My biggest concern with Vizio is quality. A two-year warranty is nice but I hope to keep it a lot longer than that. Am I going to be replacing it in a few years? I also have the same concern with the LG. I don't know if their longevity has been tested enough.

I'm edging towards the LG but I think I could be happy saving a grand and going with the Vizio. If anyone has any insight let me know.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #70
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Vizio PQ series is fantastic, and I wouldn't worry about the tv quality itself, especially if buying from Costco.

The LG is the better TV... But personally I would go with the larger size.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #71
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

My view on shopping for TVs is that you pick the size you need first, and then see what's available to you for the amount you want to spend in that size. If you want 55 then get 55. I would say that 65 is the perfect size for a TV for most rooms, but I don't live where you live. If your room is set up for a 55 get the OLED. It will be an objectively better picture anyway, even though the Vizio is great for a non-OLED.

Oh, and burn-in is a non-issue.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 06-06-2019 at 10:21 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #72
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
My view on shopping for TVs is that you pick the size you need first, and then see what's available to you for the amount you want to spend in that size. If you want 55 then get 55. I would say that 65 is the perfect size for a TV for most rooms, but I don't live where you live. If your room is set up for a 55 get the OLED. It will be an objectively better picture anyway, even though the Vizio is great for a non-OLED.

Oh, and burn-in is a non-issue.
Not True.

Quote:
Ultimately, the dilemma is this: All organic light-emitting diode (OLED) screens can burn-in, and from everything we know, they're more susceptible than standard liquid crystal displays (LCD). But those same OLED screens produce better image quality than LCD.

So if the fear of the mere possibility of burn-in is your primary concern, the decision is simple: buy an LCD-based display instead. But know that you're sacrificing the best picture quality that money can buy.
https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-scree...-need-to-know/
Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #73
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, what I should have said is "burn is is a non-issue unless you're deliberately seeking burn-in." If you watch TV like a normal human being, there's just no reason to worry about it at all.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #74
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going with the LG. 55" is the perfect size and I'm less likely to regret that decision.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #75
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a 65 inch LG OLED and a 65 inch Vizio. The vizio is only the e series. It works well and was in our tv room. The LG picture is fantastic. The thing I didn’t like with the vizio was the speakers. I bought a Sonos soundbar because the speakers were so bad. I ended up getting the lg and put it in the tv room and moved the vizio to the basement for gaming. The lg speakers are way better. I only use the Sonos for movies now.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #76
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one who cares enough to research their TV before buying it should ever be using the TV speakers. I don't care how fancy your TV is. I'm not even some crazy audiophile who insists on hard wired 7 point surround or anything like it, just get a decent soundbar system. Frankly, even a mediocre system is going to work considerably better than your TV speakers.

Also, interestingly, while your Vizio TV's speakers might suck, Vizio actually makes excellent soundbar systems. I use one in my main (basement) setup and one in my living room. Both great products.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #77
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Also, interestingly, while your Vizio TV's speakers might suck, Vizio actually makes excellent soundbar systems. I use one in my main (basement) setup and one in my living room. Both great products.
Can confirm. I have two Vizio soundbars now too.

Plug you bluray player directly into the soundbar and you get some rather impressive results. I also plug my Chromecast into it as well for Plex streaming. Works really well.

I still do want a full 7.1 setup for down the road but this will do nicely for now.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #78
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I have a good Onkyo receiver in my living room so that’s a non-issue.

I just noticed that the LG 55” C8 is now $2000. I think I’m going to get that unless there are some solid reasons to spend more for the C9.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #79
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

something else is durability. I have no idea how long my LG will last. It's my first one. Before my current Vizio, I had a 27 inch Vizio LCD I bought 15 years ago from Target in Kalispell for $230. That tv is still going strong. One of my boys has it. It's outlasted my nicer and much more expensive sony and then my nicer and much more expensive samsung. We moved to this house and got the 65 inch Vizio because of that 27 inch tv. We got the LG because when we were at Costco my wife fell in love the OLED, and it was on sale, so we grabbed it and moved the Vizio to the basement.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #80
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
something else is durability. I have no idea how long my LG will last. It's my first one. Before my current Vizio, I had a 27 inch Vizio LCD I bought 15 years ago from Target in Kalispell for $230. That tv is still going strong. One of my boys has it. It's outlasted my nicer and much more expensive sony and then my nicer and much more expensive samsung. We moved to this house and got the 65 inch Vizio because of that 27 inch tv. We got the LG because when we were at Costco my wife fell in love the OLED, and it was on sale, so we grabbed it and moved the Vizio to the basement.
I'm not a big LG fan as my last 2 tv's from them didn't last very long. But thats probably just bad luck on my end.