Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 14 people killed on Alberta highways this weekend

http://globalnews.ca/news/2311503/11...nder-24-hours/

Just a grotesque stat from this weekend. I don't think roads were bad anywhere were they? Just looking at some of the accidents, I would assume stupidity played a serious role, such as the one near Two Hills that killed a bunch of people in a single vehicle rollover. No seatbelts or riding in the box of a pickup truck maybe?

Just a staggering loss of life over one weekend. Bring on the self driving cars.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I spend a lot of time on the highways, though not during the winter. I'm stunned by the chances people take and the speeds they drive at. In particular, I'm often shocked by when people choose to pass on single lane highways.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

The gravel truck involved in the spruce grove accident was hauling to me.

I was talking with one of the first on scene, it was pretty horrific. Apparently the pickup truck involved ran a stop sign. 3 dead and the guy i was speaking with helped drag the lone survivor out of the pickup.

The driver of the dump truck is an older lady, about 50 or so, apparently she broke her back. Imagine the severity of the collision if the driver of the gravel truck broke her back..... Crazy.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I often get up in arms about the fear-mongering in our society, and how extreme risk-aversion has spoiled all kinds of once-common activities. But one area where I think we grossly underestimate risk is driving on the highway. Long weekends - especially the 'party' long weekends in the summer - are the worst. I refuse to go out on the highways with the family on those weekends.

And yeah, self-driving cars can't come soon enough.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The technology is there to make roads and driving much safer. Let's get it done.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

These secondary country roads are scary because every mile you have a chance for someone to be turning onto or crossing the road. Ive been on 628 a few times to go to work functions at the big bosses barn. People fly down that road at 130 all the time and it can get busy.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 11-01-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 11-01-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

One has to accept a certain trade-off between risk and freedom. Driving is key example of a certain situation where we prefer free to safer outcomes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

seems to be a lot of accidents in the city too. Deerfoot is a mess every morning.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:34 AM   #10
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I drove up to an accident where a lady tried passing single lane. Her car was ripped into absolute shreds, the driver side no longer existed as she had smashed head on into a semi, her dog was dead on the road.

A day or two later they found her in a river a few kilometers away clinging to a log disoriented and near death. One of the weirdest things ever. Drive safe my friends, don't be passing around corners.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
One has to accept a certain trade-off between risk and freedom. Driving is key example of a certain situation where we prefer free to safer outcomes.
Really though the risk SHOULD be minimum. Following the rules, driving in a defensive manner and obeying posted signs reduce the frequency dramatically and could eliminate fatalities all together. The problem is that many drivers have not had proper/ enough training, and drive with total disregard for others. I drive about 50000 km a year on hiway, secondary, rural and lease roads, I could write for ever about what I've seen and been a part of.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy. I drove to Edmonton saturday and back sunday, and my GF and I commented on how quiet the highway was. Probably the quietest I have seen in years.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #13
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call them collisions, not accidents:

Old 11-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Call them collisions, not accidents:

Good point, I have never met one police officer that calls them accidents.

Makes you wonder if they are avoidable.

Shirley, the WRGMG's thread isn't wrong, is it?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeesh. I have to drive to Banff tomorrow morning, too, and my winters don't go on until Thursday. Here's hoping it's not a skating rink with the thaw/freeze.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I spend a lot of time on the highways, though not during the winter. I'm stunned by the chances people take and the speeds they drive at. In particular, I'm often shocked by when people choose to pass on single lane highways.
My job takes me on the road a lot too (not in Alberta, although I have driven Alberta highways extensively) and I too am shocked a the carelessness of many drivers. From my experience though, I've seen more carelessness in BC compared to Alberta with guys passing dangerously on single lane highways.

It's so sad that this happens. Especially to the innocent who was driving safely and was a victim of carelessness from another driver.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
My job takes me on the road a lot too (not in Alberta, although I have driven Alberta highways extensively) and I too am shocked a the carelessness of many drivers. From my experience though, I've seen more carelessness in BC compared to Alberta with guys passing dangerously on single lane highways.

It's so sad that this happens. Especially to the innocent who was driving safely and was a victim of carelessness from another driver.
If you are talking about the Alaska Highway, then yes. If you are on that road at 4:00 pm in the middle of January, then you are seriously taking your own life in your hands. I had my mirror clipped by a semi-trailer two winters ago. I had to pull off to the side of the road and smoke about 39 cigarettes before I could start driving again.

This is human error, and is partially preventable through additional training, oversight (in the case of commercial vehicles), and stiff penalties. Autonomous cars are just a technologist pipe-dream at this point, and in reality will never be capable of driving in conditions outside of designated thoroughfares in big cities.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was laid off a few years ago and drove for a living for a little while before going back to the desk. People just don't pay attention. I watched a semi run a minivan right into a guard rail. More near misses than I can count. Then there's the crazy speed that people go in zero visibility.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #19
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
If you are talking about the Alaska Highway, then yes. If you are on that road at 4:00 pm in the middle of January, then you are seriously taking your own life in your hands. I had my mirror clipped by a semi-trailer two winters ago. I had to pull off to the side of the road and smoke about 39 cigarettes before I could start driving again.

This is human error, and is partially preventable through additional training, oversight (in the case of commercial vehicles), and stiff penalties. Autonomous cars are just a technologist pipe-dream at this point, and in reality will never be capable of driving in conditions outside of designated thoroughfares in big cities.
Not really.

Quote:
The transition is already beginning to happen. Elon Musk, Tesla Motor’s CEO, says that their 2015 models will be able to self-drive 90 percent of the time.1 And the major automakers aren’t far behind – according to Bloomberg News, GM’s 2017 models will feature “technology that takes control of steering, acceleration and braking at highway speeds of 70 miles per hour or in stop-and-go congested traffic.”2 Both Google3 and Tesla4 predict that fully-autonomous cars – what Musk describes as “true autonomous driving where you could literally get in the car, go to sleep and wake up at your destination” – will be available to the public by 2020.
http://zackkanter.com/2015/01/23/how...-jobs-by-2025/
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #20
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeesh. I have to drive to Banff tomorrow morning, too, and my winters don't go on until Thursday. Here's hoping it's not a skating rink with the thaw/freeze.
Buy a floor jack and change your own tires! Saves time and money and gives you way more flexibility, less safety concern. I changed mine when I saw the snow this morning.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote