Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2009, 01:59 AM   #21
theJuice
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks, gonna love watching the kid in a big game atmosphere, everytime I see some WHL action on channel 10 or whatever, I always hope its the Rockets, though it never is.
theJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will record it and watch the Flames.

But thanks.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like I said in the WHL thread, if the games in Kelowna weren't in the middle of the week I'd consider heading up. Very excited/nervous (as a Giants fan) about his series. Last time Backlund was here, he was invisible aside from a ten-second span in which he scored the eventual game-winner.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is Castanet exactly?

That article seems to be written by a fan much more than someone watching the games with a critical or unbiased view.

I am excited that Backlund is playing well, but that article is way over the top in the praise for Backlund.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #25
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

A castanet is a spoonlike percussion instrument that makes a clacking sound when "rattled".

The idea of a web presence built around this concept is a bit of a mystery, though.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #26
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
What is Castanet exactly?

That article seems to be written by a fan much more than someone watching the games with a critical or unbiased view.

I am excited that Backlund is playing well, but that article is way over the top in the praise for Backlund.
It is an internet portal that covers the Okanagan. Wayne Moore has probably covered more and better junior players than have ever been in the Flames rookie camp. On this year's team there is Myers and Benn who are likely playing in the NHL next year. Last year he got to watch Luke Schenn for a full year.

So even if he is a fan boy (not saying he is) raving about Backlund over Benn and Myers is significant.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #27
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

the second goal is pretty to watch; so explosive!

Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #28
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
the second goal is pretty to watch; so explosive!

He had an even nicer goal against Vancouver last night.. I saw it in the second period highlight package on Shaw right after the Flames game
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #29
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
He had an even nicer goal against Vancouver last night.. I saw it in the second period highlight package on Shaw right after the Flames game
is there anywhere i can find thse highlights online?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #30
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts from a Rockets coach
http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_.../43393622.html
Quote:
The Calgary Flames are once again seeing the full potential that convinced them to take Backlund 24th overall in the 2007 NHL entry draft.

“It’s been a learning process for Mikael, he’s had to adjust to a new place and a heavier schedule, but now that he’s comfortable and settled in, we’re seeing the kind of player he can be,” said Finley.

“He skates well, he has a tremendous shot, and he’s as strong in the lower body as most NHLers are already. Those things will all serve him well as he makes the next step.”
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #31
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It is an internet portal that covers the Okanagan. Wayne Moore has probably covered more and better junior players than have ever been in the Flames rookie camp. On this year's team there is Myers and Benn who are likely playing in the NHL next year. Last year he got to watch Luke Schenn for a full year.

So even if he is a fan boy (not saying he is) raving about Backlund over Benn and Myers is significant.
He has covered better players than guys like Fleury, Iginla, Phaneuf etc. Those are just some of the more recent players that would have gone to the Flames prospect camp.

Its great that he watched Luke Schenn for a full year, not sure how that makes him qualified or unbiased.

At the time the article was written Backlund had just over a PPG. He wasn't the most dominant player in the WHL at the time, he wasn't the most dynamic or the most electrifying. Backlund is having a great play-offs but the article was over the top and sounds exactly like it was written by a fanboy.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote