Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #3041
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Compression ratio does not change based on altitude.
I'm just going to leave this here: https://theblowershop.com/wp-content...ompression.pdf

In a spec sheet, compression ratios are measured at sea level. However, you need to account for altitude, hence the corrected compression ratio (which is what I'm talking about).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #3042
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You said actual. Guess I'm being too picky.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #3043
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I used the term actual, I meant it to mean "what your engine is actually seeing for a compression ratio versus what it would see at sea level". Effective or corrected compression ratio are probably better terms, but it's hard to imagine reading what I wrote and thinking I meant the static CR of the engine was changing.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #3044
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my quest to find a decent trailer to park out at our land this summer I've been looking into the used trailer market. 5th wheel trailer prices and availability are way better than the usual gooseneck variety. Problem being my truck only has a gooseneck. I'd consider installing a 5th wheel mount but concerned about the impact it has on the truck bed? I'd be using it way more for hauling than towing a trailer so having a large plate obstructing the bed would be very inconvenient. Are there any 5th wheel mounts that come out of the bed relativley cleanly?

Obvious suggestion here is to borrow a truck with a 5th wheel hitch but the area we are putting the trailer is in a flood plain and I may need to move it quickly and can't rely on borrowing a vehicle.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #3045
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
In my quest to find a decent trailer to park out at our land this summer I've been looking into the used trailer market. 5th wheel trailer prices and availability are way better than the usual gooseneck variety. Problem being my truck only has a gooseneck. I'd consider installing a 5th wheel mount but concerned about the impact it has on the truck bed? I'd be using it way more for hauling than towing a trailer so having a large plate obstructing the bed would be very inconvenient. Are there any 5th wheel mounts that come out of the bed relativley cleanly?

Obvious suggestion here is to borrow a truck with a 5th wheel hitch but the area we are putting the trailer is in a flood plain and I may need to move it quickly and can't rely on borrowing a vehicle.
Yeah there are fifth wheel hitches that basically just seat into your gooseneck ball hole, the rails aren't attached to your bed and come out with the hitch
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #3046
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yeah there are fifth wheel hitches that basically just seat into your gooseneck ball hole, the rails aren't attached to your bed and come out with the hitch
lol

Ok, that sounds like a decent compromise.

Any limitations to them? Things to be aware of? I assumed 5th wheels were mounted in the bed due to weight requirements?
Old 04-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #3047
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to my knowledge but I'm not 100% sure, I kind of had the same thought but then remembered that the heaviest loads I haul are just with a gooseneck anyway, so I wonder
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 01:43 PM   #3048
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, thanks.

Might be the way to go as I really only need it to get the trailer from wherever I buy it to our land. Past the the only other time it would be needed is to move trailer to higher ground in case of flooding.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:37 PM   #3049
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Supercharged engines also see a similar drop due to their belt-drive system being tied directly to RPM and not the boost itself, and thus are unable to accommodate for this change in atmospheric pressure. Turbocharged applications don't have this limitation as they're free-spinning compressors and will bleed off excessive PSI once the target boost is reached. A S/C'd car designed for 8 PSI at sea level won't reach peak boost in Calgary, but a turbo'd car will no matter what elevation you operate in.
Most superchargers have bypass valves that allow them to hit peak boost well below redline. They will open the bypass valve as boost exceeds the designed peak. In Calgary, your bypass valve just stays shut a bit longer than at sea level.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #3050
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Most superchargers have bypass valves that allow them to hit peak boost well below redline. They will open the bypass valve as boost exceeds the designed peak. In Calgary, your bypass valve just stays shut a bit longer than at sea level.
Yeah good call, though a lot of older OE applications weren't configured as such. It has been a while since I've had much of anything to do with superchargers.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #3051
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Question for the VW experts working on a 2006 Golf diesel needs headlight assemblies. I want to go with LEDs in the new assemblies but there is a cover over the bulbs which means any H7 LEDs with fans (which is all that are any good) won't fit. Options?

I'd like to avoid HIDs if possible will consider if there are new HID versions that will fit.

edit - here is the car I do not want to restore the factory units they are full of dirt and sand and the inside of the lenses are also starting to go.

Last edited by zamler; 04-04-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:20 AM   #3052
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question for the VW experts working on a 2006 Golf diesel needs headlight assemblies. I want to go with LEDs in the new assemblies but there is a cover over the bulbs which means any H7 LEDs with fans (which is all that are any good) won't fit. Options?

I'd like to avoid HIDs if possible will consider if there are new HID versions that will fit.

edit - here is the car I do not want to restore the factory units they are full of dirt and sand and the inside of the lenses are also starting to go.

Check VXT Tuning. Mike (owner) is constantly posting to his FB feed, his craftsmanship in building Mk4 headlamp units, for at least 10 years now.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #3053
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks. This is an MK4 VW correct?
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #3054
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. This is an MK4 VW correct?
Yup. On my old 337, I was going to get lights from VXT, but upgraded to an R32 with OEM HID instead.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #3055
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Used car prices are wild. I dont look often so dont have a comparison but used cars are selling for the same price as the new models. I guess with used cars the appeal is you don't have to wait 6 months
Speaking of wild. My mother, before she passed away owned a 2008 Ford Fusion SEL, fully loaded with leather and heated seats. It only has 122,000 clicks on the odometer. Runs great and has no mechanical issues.

I decided to keep it and had to do some price checking for Will purposes. It appears I could get over $7,000 for it. That's insane.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #3056
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We bought a used 2017 VW Golf Sportwagen earlier this year, and I need to get some new summer tires for it. Any recommendation for tires which offer a good balance of price, performance, road noise, and warranty? I've been looking at the Nokian One, which seem decent, but wondering if I should go with something a bit more sporty like their zLine A/S. I don't want to get caught with a bad shoulder season tire, where we might encounter some snow and the tires are terrible.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 08:07 PM   #3057
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone familiar with the current Gen Subaru Outback? My wife really wants one, but by all accounts the CVT totally ruins the experience. I’m pretty certain I would never ‘get used to it’, but if we test drive one I know there’s no way we’re not getting it, regardless of what I say.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:12 PM   #3058
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Subie's CVT is not terrible as far as CVTs go. I hate the things but you might find it tolerable as apposed to what Nissan has.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 08:57 PM   #3059
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really not bad. If you want it punchy, put it in manual mode and hit the paddles. I've actually come to prefer it for highway driving, it's so much smoother. And I use the paddles all the time for downshifts.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:22 PM   #3060
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My concern is the amount of journalists who talk about the pedal/power not feeling in sync, dead zones, perception of bogging etc. From the descriptions, it sounds very unpleasant. I really dislike vehicles where the pedal feels like it’s into intrinsically linked to the engines throttle.

Hard to describe, but the 1.5 Escape is sooooo bad for this. At 80kmh, you can mode the gas pedal an awful lot and have nothing at all change. You need to lean into it to get it do anything, it’s such an unpleasant vehicle to drive.

Maybe I’ll take one out on my lunch without telling the missus.