Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-05-2021, 11:48 PM   #221
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t find my machine all that noisy really and the nose pillows are pretty quiet as well. The rest of the masks I do find quite a bit noisier though. But what really drives me nuts about them is the air that comes out of the vents. It always seems to blow on my arms. Fan or white noise generator help to cover up the machine noise.

I honestly hate the CPAP machine but it will keep you alive and improve the quality of your life. I think you just need to stick with it and work on clearing your head as I know even after 4 or 5 years it still gets into mine. I do find the nose pillows or the under nose mask the best. I love the under nose pillow for how they breathe but they are a little noisy and that damn air blowing out drives me nuts.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #222
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are some good earplugs that people here are using? I don't generally find them good at blocking out the noise plus, as a side sleeper, find them very uncomfortable.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #223
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just replaced my 10 yr old unit with a new travel size one (resumed minin). My old one was similar in size to two bricks. The new unit is like a think paperback book.

Seems quieter as well. It will be so much nicer travelling with this thing.

I don’t love the mask though.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #224
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you upgrade the mask?

I’ve heard the Resmed Mini is noisy but that’s not your experience.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:52 PM   #225
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I bought the unit the respiratory guy noted how it was noisy. Given my other unit was older, I’d say this new unit is quieter.

Maybe it is noisier relative to a new full size unit. I find after a while it is white noise.

I will also note this mini unit does not have a water chamber. It has humidity disks. I find I am a little stuffed up in the morning.

I will have to look at other masks
Old 11-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #226
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
What are some good earplugs that people here are using? I don't generally find them good at blocking out the noise plus, as a side sleeper, find them very uncomfortable.
TaperFit 2 (those yellow 3M ones). I toss them out and use a new pair every week. As long as you compress them and then slide them in deep they block out almost all sound. Very comfortable for side sleeping, too. I've tried a ton and these are better than anything. New earplug night is always a treat.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 04:40 PM   #227
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the supply chain problems / Phillips recall / chip shortage has made getting a CPAP machine (especially ResMed) impossible to get. 4-9 weeks wait time at best - some places don't even show an ETA.

I was hoping to upgrade, but under the circumstances - am greatful I have something workable right now.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #228
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Hey gang!

To start, I owe Peak Sleep an massive apology for previous comments I made in this thread... who woulda thunk it... the medical professionals were right and dumbass Pylon was 100% wrong.

I'm not gonna rehash the whole thing, my comments stand on their own as far as my arrogance and stupididty went. Going on a crash diet cured things temporairly but didn't offer a long term fix for both my weight nor my severe obstructive apnea. I was lying to myself.

Then I almost died.

I was at 88 events on my last sleep study, and have defintely worsened the last year or so. I was at the point where waking up and gasping for breath, coughing and choking was a once-twice a week phenomena, and about 10 days back, I had such a bad episode I ended up vomitting in my sleep from the choking, and almost did not wake up. I ended up on all fours on the floor trying to breath while I was choking on puke at the same time.

I could no longer avoid the terrifying videos my wife would text me in the morning, and she was at the point where it's get help, or she's leaving, she didn't want to wake up next to a dead guy who doesn't give 2 poops about his health. I could no longer avoid the advice of the cardiologist telling me, getting a CPAP could very well cure my AFIB issue.

I called Peak that morning, apologized for how unco-operative I was previously, sent them a couple videos, and they straight up said "Those are life threatening episodes." and they somehow got me a Dreamstation 2 that day and their therapist stayed late to accomodate me that night.

I truly believe they saved my life.

I have powered through the discomfort of wearing the thing, and after the first night, I could not fathom the energy I had in the morning. Life altering. I have not slept so well in over 20 years. And I only slept 4.5 hours the first night.

4.5 hours of uniterrupted sleep was ten fold better than 8 hours of basically being choked 90 times an hour. I have managed to get up to about 5.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep and the changes are damn near immediate.

In 10 days:

-I am not waking up feeling like I was in a bar fight the night before with a hangover, even though I haven't drank in 6 years.

-My resting heart rate has lowered 10 BPM and I am not having A-Fib episodes.

-Heartburn and Indigestion, gone.

-Chronic IBS and diarrhea vastly improving.

-Fogginess and fighting falling asleep at my desk every day at 2:30, gone.

-Headaches out of nowhere, gone.

-Sex drive, raging back.

-I've dropped 6 pounds and I'm not doing anything more than riding my bike and light weightlifing excercises.

-Instead of forcing myself to excercise in spite.... I am eager to hit the weights.

-My wife is finally sleeping instead of watching me all night hoping I don't choke to death, and there are no more arguments about my stubborness.

The follow up from Peak has been incredible, and I really don't care how long it takes to process the claim. I would gave paid vastly more than the $2500 it cost, had I know the end result would have been this incredible. I literally feel 20 years younger. I am sure there is a certain novelty of this bound to wear off in time. But I was at the point where physically I felt I was literally rotting away.

I'm sure I will get attacked by the ole CP mob for something I've said wrong here....and I don't really care. My hope is, some young guy or gal on out there reads this, makes an appointment and instead of being a frikking moron and pulling the tough guy "I don't need that thing, I can't sleep with that thing on my face....." yada yada yada.....

I was stupid for you, be smart. If you snore heavily like I did in my 20s, it's not gonna get better. Get the help you need.

Embrace it, and power through the first few days of discomfort instead of suffering with chronic fatigue, tiredness and a billion other health issues for decades, get the proven help you need.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:34 PM   #229
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey pylon. Great to see you!!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #230
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for you man.

Between this and the ADHD thread its good to see these stories.

Its at least an effort to de-stigmatize conditions.

Oh, and I'll also chime in a little bit here on this:

CPAP Machines and sleep apnea are not just for fat old white guys...not that I'm speaking from experience.

But I had a client this year whose 14 year old son who plays high-level hockey needed one. Something about an issue with a valve in his esophagus was tired after tons of exercise and would close while he's sleeping.

If its a problem get it checked out.

I too have dealt with Peak Sleep however in my experience they have routinely treated me like dirt. So I'm going to get a recommendation from Pylon on who to deal with...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:24 PM   #231
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Good for you man.

Between this and the ADHD thread its good to see these stories.

Its at least an effort to de-stigmatize conditions.

Oh, and I'll also chime in a little bit here on this:

CPAP Machines and sleep apnea are not just for fat old white guys...not that I'm speaking from experience.

But I had a client this year whose 14 year old son who plays high-level hockey needed one. Something about an issue with a valve in his esophagus was tired after tons of exercise and would close while he's sleeping.

If its a problem get it checked out.

I too have dealt with Peak Sleep however in my experience they have routinely treated me like dirt. So I'm going to get a recommendation from Pylon on who to deal with...
And I think it is good that we are slowly getting to the point where people are not ashamed or afraid to discuss these things. Thank God because left unattended, it is a death knell for many.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:48 PM   #232
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Good for you man.

Although I cannot say that isn't currently true as I am 6'1 and weigh about 245 lbs, and not exactly svelt at the moment lol.....but it's also not like they need to remove me from my house by breaking down a wall and removing me with a forklift. When they were digging on my history the most likely cause for me was my past with body building and somewhat questionable 'supplements'.

When I was in my 20's I was between 240-260 and very muscular, I had a 19-19.5 inch neck at that time. Apparently the internal musculature doesn't really ever go away and as you get older it tends to cause obstruction issues... I don't know the exact science, but she said it likely was a very big contributing factor and it's why it's also so common amongst retired football players, wrestlers... basically big athletes.

But yes, it can hit anyone at any size... it is likely what killed Carrie Fisher for gods sake.

I am definitely holding some regret for waiting until I am 47 to finally deal with it, but it's better late than never.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #233
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been using a CPAP machine for a long time. I was fine with the machine the first night and it’s never bothered me. My best friend likely has sleep apnea and started using a machine and tossed it the first night. It’s probably stored away in a closet.

He says it doesn’t work but I think it’s more that he hated it right from the start and refused to use it. I don’t know if he and his wife are still sleeping separately but they were for a long time. It’s sad that rather than trying to figure out why the machine and face mask bothered him so much to cause him to give up on it before he gave it a chance that he just abandoned a device that could save his life.

I don’t want to lose my friend of over 60 years.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #234
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great to hear that it's working so well pylon!

My story is one more of laziness. I was kinda surprised to see that I posted on the first page of this thread in 2014 asking about it but never actioning it, because I always felt that I had some evidence of sleep apnea, but none of the risk factors - I'm young, a healthy weight (5'8" 160 lbs), and generally active and all that.

Anyways, 8 years later, I finally got a sleep study done through Rebel Sleep about 2 months ago that showed I was having approximately 17 events an hour. Just moderate sleep apnea and nothing like pylon, but having the machine it's very clear that I get better sleep.

Recently just went on a week vacation where I didn't take the CPAP with me, and I was definitely much more tired - multiple naps during the day, snoring was back and all that. Some of it could be attributed to just being in a new place, but definitely some is not having the machine.

I'm still not completely used to it. I get about 5-6 hours on the machine a night before I wake up and half-consciously rip it off, then continue sleeping the remaining 2-3 hours before my usual wake up time. Even then I feel far more energetic especially in the mornings and late afternoons.

I am getting "scammed" for sure, it was $2600 and they tell me that I need to replace the $500 mask every six months or something stupid, but my insurance covers it all so I'm allowing it for now.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:22 AM   #235
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume that's 88 events a night? That would be absurdly high over an hour. I was at 24 events/hour and that was deemed moderate and anything over 30 is considered severe.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:00 AM   #236
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife was just told this morning that her sleep study indicates she does NOT have sleep apnea. That’s terrific news because she’s a very light sleeper and is one who would not be able to handle wearing a mask.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:40 AM   #237
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I assume that's 88 events a night? That would be absurdly high over an hour. I was at 24 events/hour and that was deemed moderate and anything over 30 is considered severe.
It’s not far-fetched. When I was diagnosed about 12 years ago, I was at over 100 events per hour.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #238
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

I recently got diagnosed at 55 events per hour (severe). Must admit I’m having some trouble adjusting to the CPAP although i’m persevering and it’s gradually getting easier.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #239
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nope, probably an hour if they said it was life threatening. I was 111 per hour, I posted my story a few pages back, the doctor broke protocol and just gave me one after a home monitor test, making me promise that I would come in several months later to do the proper, approve test.

What really sucked about that was I was so used to getting a good night's sleep by the time the proper test rolled around that I had the worst time getting to sleep for the test without having the mask on. Thankfully after I finally dozed off, they got enough data really quickly and they woke me up to allow me to wear the mask the rest of the night.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #240
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreshins View Post
I recently got diagnosed at 55 events per hour (severe). Must admit I’m having some trouble adjusting to the CPAP although i’m persevering and it’s gradually getting easier.
For me it was finding the right mask and headgear.
I've found that the Resmed F20 works for me.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote