Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #481
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I like the easter egg of how this battle is what left him with the scars on this side of his face with Obi's saber glancing off the top and the exploding helmet possibly causing the scarring across the cheek.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #482
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I find it funny how we see Vader isn't a guy that finishes his business in this series.

1. Stabs Reva in the gut, doesn't make sure she's dead and walks away casually

2. Buries Obi Wan under a bunch of rocks, doesn't make sure he's dead and walks away casually. I kind of wish he had a line like "you entombed me to this suit, now I will entomb you here!" to justify that
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #483
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

not enough Zombie Raiden in the last couple episodes. 2/10 stars

the dueling in this series has been good, it feels like the right mix of force-enabled acrobatic dancing vs. gritty whacking. Force creep is definitely a thing though, I thought Rey was gangster for lifting boulders in TLJ, but Ben can just stand there and toss them like a hailstorm. I'm not gonna try and headcanon my way into explanations about why they are OP now and weak later on, it's just the way these things go the longer a franchise lasts. the bar must be raised continuously and I think it won't be long before we see someone do the Starkiller capital ship pulldown.

I really did not like the transport chase though. a star destroyer is supposed to be the Empire's ultimate symbol of subjugation, yet even after Vader increases firepower all it does is dim the lights and lightly shake things over the course of like an hour. that's not even any sort of warship, why does it have planetary level shields and Falcon-like maneuverability?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:28 AM   #484
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post

I really did not like the transport chase though. a star destroyer is supposed to be the Empire's ultimate symbol of subjugation, yet even after Vader increases firepower all it does is dim the lights and lightly shake things over the course of like an hour. that's not even any sort of warship, why does it have planetary level shields and Falcon-like maneuverability?
It was dumb how casual they were about it and how long they sat in that ship taking like 25 minutes of turbo lasers from a capital ship and nothing happened.

Easily fixed by having Vader saying "I want that ship disabled" when he talks about increasing firepower or maybe switching to ion cannons but obviously they are trying to make a Tantive IV reference here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #485
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It was dumb how casual they were about it and how long they sat in that ship taking like 25 minutes of turbo lasers from a capital ship and nothing happened.
Ice Cube sure spent a lot of time talking about how busy he was, without actually being busy. he is a terrible employee and probably the reason why it took another 8 years for the rebellion to make an impact.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:25 AM   #486
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Ice Cube sure spent a lot of time talking about how busy he was, without actually being busy. he is a terrible employee and probably the reason why it took another 8 years for the rebellion to make an impact.
True, he is mighty suspicious, almost like an Imperial spy. He couldn't get the hanger doors open until a little girl did it for him, he couldn't get the hyperdrive working, always stalling and full of excuses!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #487
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm thinking after this fight, Vader doesn't even bother returning to the Star Destroyer out of embarrassment.

He straight up sends them a txt message "gotta dip, heading back to a Zoom meeting on Mustafar", crawls to the Shuttle, and goes straight home for a shower and Zoom with his manager.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-24-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #488
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
O'Shea Jackson (Ice's son)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #489
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm thinking after this fight, Vader doesn't even bother returning to the Star Destroyer out of embarrassment.

He straight up sends them a txt message "gotta dip, heading back to a Zoom meeting on Mustafar", crawls to the Shuttle, and goes straight home for a shower and Zoom with his manager.

I almost expected that, I doubt he would return to the Star Destroyer with him looking like he did and clearly losing a fight.

Imperial Officer - "My Lord, should we chock up Obi-Wan Kenobi as off of the card deck of Jedi, Oh wait sire, where's the other half of your helmet? And you're all beat up".

Vader shame chokes him.

I'd love to see that shuttle trip back to Bast Castle. Vader would be in a complete rage by the time he got there.

In Canon, mostly cartoons and some books. After Vader failed at the Death Star he avoided going back to Sidious with that news until he had something solid to return with, and even then his punishment by Sidious was errr not a stern talking to so to speak.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #490
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Zero chance Vader goes anywhere but straight to his Bacta Tank with his helmet split wide open like that. He's gone to great lengths to hide his true physical form underneath the Vader image. He's not going to let anyone see him outside the mask.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 02:54 PM   #491
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
O'Shea Jackson (Ice's son)
Junior. O'Shea Jackson Jr.

(Ice Cube's name is O'Shea too. )
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #492
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Junior. O'Shea Jackson Jr.

(Ice Cube's name is O'Shea too. )
Disagree good sir.

Ice Cube's name is 'Ice Cube' and we dont want to live in a world where it is any other way!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #493
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What happened to the star destroyer? I don't think we saw it when Obi Wan flew off.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 03:41 PM   #494
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
What happened to the star destroyer? I don't think we saw it when Obi Wan flew off.
They seem to be terrible at tracking small ships and have aim worse than Stormtroopers - hell they lost track of the Falcon in a comical way in ESB.

I bet Obi just left the far side of the planet and lost them.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #495
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I like how they handled blending the Hayden and James Earl Jones voices. It revealed that the Vader english accented voice (that I complained about earlier in the thread) is really just a voice changer he uses to sound scary

It's the same as voice changer toys we had as kids.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:55 PM   #496
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
They seem to be terrible at tracking small ships and have aim worse than Stormtroopers - hell they lost track of the Falcon in a comical way in ESB.

That's what I chalked it up to.

It's funny that they can track Kenobi's location on a whole planet, but then miss his ship taking off the other way around a littler later.

I'm just going to assume they don't have star trek-level tracking tech in the SW universe.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #497
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Star destroyers are the Lieutenant Worf of science fiction capital ships. appear to be intimidating and competent at first glance, but usually just fail at their basic function (space security) when actually tested. the only time they've been shown to do what they're supposed to is the start of ANH and the end of R1. everything in between that is a yakety sax montage of them losing an enemy, running into asteroids, running into each other, dying by ion cannon, dying by A-wing, etc.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #498
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Star destroyers are the Lieutenant Worf of science fiction capital ships. appear to be intimidating and competent at first glance, but usually just fail at their basic function (space security) when actually tested. the only time they've been shown to do what they're supposed to is the start of ANH and the end of R1. everything in between that is a yakety sax montage of them losing an enemy, running into asteroids, running into each other, dying by ion cannon, dying by A-wing, etc.
Its funny you say this because I've ranted against Star Destroyers and Imperial Technology and design for a while now.

For instance, in Kenobi they were being chased by a Star Destroyer, a vessel literally bristling with weaponry and they were firing....one laser.

What? Is there a quota? Do you pay by the blast or something? You want to destroy that ship right? Fire everything!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:54 PM   #499
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't remember which book it was, but there is a scene where Qui-Gon re-emerges and teaches Obi-Wan how to do the force ghost trick. As I recall, he was the first Jedi (either in a very long time, or ever) to learn how to do it. I'm glad they hinted at that in the show.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #500
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its funny you say this because I've ranted against Star Destroyers and Imperial Technology and design for a while now.

For instance, in Kenobi they were being chased by a Star Destroyer, a vessel literally bristling with weaponry and they were firing....one laser.

What? Is there a quota? Do you pay by the blast or something? You want to destroy that ship right? Fire everything!!

There was a skit in Robot chicken where they did ANH and the droids jettison in the lifepod and we go to the Imperial officers on the gun.

Officer 1 - "Hold your fire there's no life forms aboard"

Officer 2 - "Do you pay for the laser bolts?"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote