Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #5601
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think most will reject this outright, but what about something radical like neal+dube+1st for schenn. Losing two big assets but getting out of Neal's contract and gaining schenn for a few years of his prime. Moving neal would get him into our cap structure and create a very potent top 6 all locked in for 2 years more at least in their primes.
Why would STL take on Neal for Schenn?

Cmon.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #5602
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal isn’t going anywhere right now and if we are giving up another 1st and Dube I want more than the rest of this year and next for a player like Schenn who becomes UFA at the end of next year; I’d want someone locked up for the next 2-3 years after this season to really fit in with the core.

I hope we look at pending ufa’s at the deadline if we continue to surge here, players like:

Simmonds
Spezza
Williams
Brassard
Hayes
Zuccarello
Eric Staal
Eberle

Homerun rental for me where I’d be willing to part with a Dube+1st+contract player like Frolik would be Panarin who apparently passed on Calgary due to too many smaller players when he signed his first contract with Chicago; a lot has changed in the league since then and he would be an explosive add to this club; more so than Schenn who appears to be returning to the player he was before last year.

Calgary trades:

1st
Dube
Frolik

For

Panarin rental

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Panarin - Lindholm - Neal
Bennett - Backlund - Czarnik
Hathaway - Jankowski - Ryan
Mangiapane

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington/Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington/Valimaki

Rittich
Smith

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 12-16-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #5603
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Why would STL take on Neal for Schenn?

Cmon.
If you’re shedding a bunch of salary, rebuilding and looking for young assets in return, it could be considered the cost of doing business. Plus a player like Neal might be seen as an important leader and mentor in a very young locker room. It’s not a crazy notion.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #5604
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
If you’re shedding a bunch of salary, rebuilding and looking for young assets in return, it could be considered the cost of doing business. Plus a player like Neal might be seen as an important leader and mentor in a very young locker room. It’s not a crazy notion.
Maybe if Neal had 2 years left after this season. Not with 4 years left. Sorry but its crazy.

Plus in this scenario they are not shedding salary, they are taking on salary.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 12-16-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #5605
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Maybe if Neal had 2 years left after this season. Not with 4 years left. Sorry but its crazy.

Plus in this scenario they are not shedding salary, they are taking on salary.
If they trade say Tarasenko, Schenn, Pietrangelo, O'Reilly etc for all for picks, prospects and younger players, in a full rebuild they may want (need) some salary coming back to hit the cap floor (depending on how far they go) and/or just have some veteran presence. The purpose of a rebuild is not to shed salary, it is to flip the roster to youth and gain assets. If the cost of gaining the assets they want is some salary back, that is a trade-off some would be willing to make.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #5606
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

We start trading 1sts, Dube, Kylington for a half season rental we are trying to slam the window closed as soon as it opens.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #5607
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
We start trading 1sts, Dube, Kylington for a half season rental we are trying to slam the window closed as soon as it opens.
The flames haven't been this good since 1989.

I don't want to wait another 30 years.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #5608
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Rentals rarely lead to cup wins. I want this to last more than 1-2 years.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #5609
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are still at the top of things and looking like a real threat come the deadline, Wayne Simmonds is the perfect choice.

1 - Rumoured to have been our target had we traded Dougie to Philly

2 - Is physical and would be a huge benefit in a 7 game series against bigger teams

3 - would give us:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Neal - Jankowski - Simmonds
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

I also assume that for us to stay at the top of things, we’ll have already acquired another goalie so we’d have New goalie + Rittich.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #5610
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If the Flames are still at the top of things and looking like a real threat come the deadline, Wayne Simmonds is the perfect choice.

1 - Rumoured to have been our target had we traded Dougie to Philly

2 - Is physical and would be a huge benefit in a 7 game series against bigger teams

3 - would give us:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Neal - Jankowski - Simmonds
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

I also assume that for us to stay at the top of things, we’ll have already acquired another goalie so we’d have New goalie + Rittich.

If you acquire Simmonds, it sure as hell better not be to play behind Bennett.

Simmonds is a scorer, so you allow him that opportunity with Backlund/Tkachuk if you want to keep that top line together....which at this point is a no-brainer.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #5611
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
If you acquire Simmonds, it sure as hell better not be to play behind Bennett.

Simmonds is a scorer, so you allow him that opportunity with Backlund/Tkachuk if you want to keep that top line together....which at this point is a no-brainer.
It's about running 4 strong lines, doesn't matter where they play. They all play.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #5612
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree, but have you seen the average age on this teams 'engine' up front? Plus they are all signed with term except for RFA Tkachuk and Tre will get him signed.

The D is under control too for multiple years not to mention the four 22 and under up and comers who look really solid already.

This team has a chance for sustained success IMO.

I hope they don't trade for rentals. Rental prices can get you another piece to add to the core if you're patient enough and look under enough rocks, which Treliving always seems to be doing.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #5613
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Even when you're a contender, everything has to go right, and the chances of winning it all are still low.

You want to have a multi-year window, and hope it all comes together at least once.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #5614
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It's about running 4 strong lines, doesn't matter where they play. They all play.
No it isn't, it's about playing your most talented players with your most talented players. 30 goal scorer Simmonds plays with 40 assist tkachuk or 60 assist gaudreau, not behind 11 goal Bennett.

Dumb to suggest otherwise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #5615
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I agree, but have you seen the average age on this teams 'engine' up front? Plus they are all signed with term except for RFA Tkachuk and Tre will get him signed.

The D is under control too for multiple years not to mention the four 22 and under up and comers who look really solid already.

This team has a chance for sustained success IMO.
These are all reasons why you move picks now. Contract structure is set, young players have proven they can contribute, roster spots are filled without many openings and there are a couple of guys in calluo situations who can play NHL minutes sparingly.

Quote:
I hope they don't trade for rentals. Rental prices can get you another piece to add to the core if you're patient enough and look under enough rocks, which Treliving always seems to be doing.
Good teams don't often blow things up, but this season all the rumours and reporting suggest there will be good players available via trade, some with term left on their deals.

There might not be a better season to be a buyer than this one for several years, and the flames just happen to be one of the best teams in the league.

I suppose if you've thought the team was pretty good the last few years it's harder to see just how rare it is for the flames to be where they are. If you have spent the last few years with a more realistic sense of where the team is at, it is much more apparent how Stark the contrast is.

Again, the flames haven't been this good in 30 years. Suggesting this is a moment to hold onto your cards in case the team is even better next year is pure fandom in mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #5616
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No it isn't, it's about playing your most talented players with your most talented players. 30 goal scorer Simmonds plays with 40 assist tkachuk or 60 assist gaudreau, not behind 11 goal Bennett.

Dumb to suggest otherwise.

Yeah because we haven’t seen how important a 3rd line that can score at a high level can help win a team a Stanley cup or anything...right?
Old 12-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #5617
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd consider trading picks but I, for one, have zero interest in trading any of Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki or Dube.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #5618
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I'd consider trading picks but I, for one, have zero interest in trading any of Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki or Dube.
Ya i dont want any of those guys traded gor rentals. If its a player with some term sure but definitely no for a rental.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #5619
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Ya i dont want any of those guys traded gor rentals. If its a player with some term sure but definitely no for a rental.
Schenn is only 27 and has another year left at just over 5 mil after this. The time is now to acquire a guy like this. I would keep valimaki no matter what, but the rest should go towards pushing us over the cusp if they can. Schenn would do that.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #5620
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

If all it took to get Schenn was a rookie d-man I'll drive him over myself.