Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #881
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta say I’ve never seen a player’s mom forecast a contract signing before
Old 01-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #882
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Not for that.

Why would a person go through all the trouble with immigration offices if they didn't see at least a mid to long term future.

Theyve lived apart for years, for her to move now is telling.
I remember when Gaudreau 1st went to the all star game and the Quebec media was interviewing him. I believe his Dad is from a town in Vermont that is literally on the Canada/USA border. I believe he mentioned his grandparents were from Quebec or something along those lines.

I know he will never play for team Canada, but I wonder if he has dual citizenship to ease his work/travel requirements.

I imagine this is the same question for Tkachuk as his Mom is from Winnipeg and his uncle is an agent.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #883
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Reasonably sure Gaudreau’s wife knew he played for the Calgary Flames, and yet she still married him!

The narrative that Gaudreau’s wife will pull him away from Calgary flies in the face of what his public comments were last summer. Keep in mind, he didn’t have to say anything when asked about resigning. He could have said a number of things that skirted the issue but instead he specifically said he would like to stay if the organization was happy with what he has brought to the team. I doubt very much he would publicly say he would like to stay without having that conversation with his wife.
I'm not putting much into words said. Everything has been very general. Once the contract is over and the offers roll in, all that is out the window. And yes his wife knew he played here but she also knows he no longer has to in a few months as well. For all I know she loves Calgary and thinks this is an ideal place to start a family. Or maybe both are saying it would be nice to be closer to the east coast. I'm just saying this is a blank slate for him and her and I'm sure they will consider all options. And every option will likely have pros and cons. The fact there will be options makes me think it's a coin flip he comes back.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:28 AM   #884
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the biggest advantages the Flames have is the ability to offer 8 years, however on the flip side, Treliving has yet to sign anyone to an 8 year deal.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #885
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure this just settled it. Close the thread down.

EDIT: Ok so perusing Jane Gaudreau's tweets just cemented my opinion now there is no way he leaves Calgary. She loves Calgary.

Last edited by CroFlames; 01-22-2022 at 10:31 AM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:39 AM   #886
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Let's meet the Gaudreaus at the airport with white Stetsons.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:31 AM   #887
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

This settles it. Johnny needs to fire his agent and have his mom represent him. He would be signed by end of weekend if she was in charge. Lol
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #888
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
This settles it. Johnny needs to fire his agent and have his mom represent him. He would be signed by end of weekend if she was in charge. Lol
hell I'm not opposed to trying her on the 4th line
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #889
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I think Johnny re-signing here is just a formality at this point and it will happen. I get the impression that his family is happy and proud of what he has achieved in Calgary and why wouldn't they. It's a good situation here for him plus it's relatively close to home for him, a quick flight.

He's done a lot for himself and the Flames are his team at this point. Sure he may be able to get a bit more money elsewhere but what about everything else including playoff success and winning a cup? I don't see Johnny abandoning that considering everything else he's achieved and overcome, why would he stop there and just go to another team for a bit more money? I just don't see it.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:47 AM   #890
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I think Johnny re-signing here is just a formality at this point and it will happen. I get the impression that his family is happy and proud of what he has achieved in Calgary and why wouldn't they. It's a good situation here for him plus it's relatively close to home for him, a quick flight.

He's done a lot for himself and the Flames are his team at this point. Sure he may be able to get a bit more money elsewhere but what about everything else including playoff success and winning a cup? I don't see Johnny abandoning that considering everything else he's achieved and overcome, why would he stop there and just go to another team for a bit more money? I just don't see it.

??

Its about 3500KM away.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #891
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Brian Burke used to go to Toronto regularly when he worked here and probably when he was on the west coast as well as he still kept a home there.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:55 AM   #892
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t think he will get more money from another team. Tre knows he has to pay top dollar for Johnny. With most 1st line players having nmc and Calgary on the list it’s not easy to make a trade for one. If a ufa of Johnny’s caliber comes up there is very little chance they would entertain offers from the flames other than trying to use them to get more money from another team. Johnny says he wants to stay and I doubt Tre is going to find many of those on the market. In my opinion the only reason Johnny hasn’t signed yet is that he’s making sure that flames will be a winning upper echelon team for years to come. Don’t forget Sutter is only signed for next season and might just go back to farm after that. Also the flames prospect pool isn’t exactly flush with blue chip talent coming up the ranks. I know some posters don’t think not having a new arena is a big deal but I think it definitely plays into it. I was on the side that they either should have traded him or signed before his nmc kicked in . Now that it’s gone I’m all aboard the sign Johnny train. Can’t lose him for nothing .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:04 PM   #893
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Ironically, it was his mom that originally wanted him to stay in school and not go pro until he was done. It had nothing to do with Calgary of course, but she valued the education as a good plan B if professional hockey didn’t turn out. Fortunately everything worked out.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #894
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Jay Feaster did one thing right, it was winning over Jane Gaudreau and the Gaudreau family.

Quote:
I remember the day when John was drafted by the Flames. He was playing in a AAA hockey summer tournament with all of his friends that my husband runs every year. Someone ran over to the bench and said something to Guy (who was coaching). All the kids started banging their sticks on the ice. I was in the bleachers, at the other end, thinking “what is going on?” Guy yelled over to me to tell me John was drafted. I said "where?" and he yelled out "Calgary." Again, I said "where?" and he repeated "Calgary." I didn’t know much about Calgary other than the Olympics were there and it was very far away. I immediately started to cry. One of the other mothers came over and said, "oh my gosh, you’re crying … you must be so happy!" I said "no, I’m crying because it’s so far away!"

I didn’t exactly know where Calgary was but I did know it wasn’t near any of the other Canadian cities where we played youth hockey, like Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa. Immediately, I looked it up on my phone and saw it was 2,363 miles away. I was so upset.

A couple of days after the Draft, the biggest bouquet of flowers I have ever seen in my life was delivered to our house. They were from Jay Feaster, who was the Flames’ general manager at the time, and card attached that read, "Jane, welcome to the Flames family. PS: Calgary isn’t that far away." I don’t know how Mr. Feaster knew I was so upset but that gesture meant so much to me.
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/for-...dreau/c-881959

Jane and Guy Gaudreau are hockey royalty in this city and deserve to be with how they’ve embraced the city and Johnny playing here.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 01:29 PM   #895
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brian Burke used to go to Toronto regularly when he worked here and probably when he was on the west coast as well as he still kept a home there.
Calgary to Toronto is a 3.5 hour flight, and there are tons of direct flights.

Versus 6.5 hours assuming you get a direct flight.

Johnny is not a quick flight to visiting his parents.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:30 PM   #896
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I. Sure he may be able to get a bit more money elsewhere but what about everything else including playoff success and winning a cup?
I hadn't realized that Calgary was a destination based on playoff success and Stanley Cups......
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 01:32 PM   #897
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good sign! I know the Gaudreau family is tight n’ all, but I think his family is scattered all around anyway. Johnny’s brother has been playing pro hockey all over the country, his sister Katie I think is away for college. No one is really “at home” anyway. So in the end, it’s either a long drive or long plane ride anyway, so I don’t think distance is the issue.

I think if Treliving opens the purse strings a bit, Johnny will re-sign.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #898
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's been here 7 years.

I'm sure he doesn't need someone to listen off reasons why Calgary is palatable.

And I don't think there has been a single occasion in his Flames career that indicated he wanted to be playing anywhere else.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:46 PM   #899
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny signs an 8 year deal he will have a lot of the all time franchise records in his sight. He has the chance to be the best player to wear the jersey

Last edited by Vinny01; 01-22-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 01:47 PM   #900
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
If Philly wants Gaudreau they can make a pretty strong offer and I think it's a toss up if he re-signs here or there.

JG seems like a big family guy and his dad was having health problems. When my parents started "getting old" and having fairly serious health problems, I wanted to spend more time with them. If I was in another country across the continent I would probably try and move closer to them if the opportunity presented itself.
I'm pretty sure JG is close friends with Haye's too? Add in that is girlfriend is also from the area and that Philly has the cap space...

I don't think Philly will rebuild. They're actually a fairly similar team to Calgary. They're a middling team but have some good players going into their primes.

Philly similar to Calgary?

They have lost 11 in a row, lack any young top end talent, and currently sit 28th in the league and 14 points out of a playoff spot.

They’ve also played the 3rd most games in the league. They are a bottom feeder in desperate need of a rebuild. Their moves this summer only hurt them more.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win