Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #681
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Im used to having a poor team but what really grinds me gears is every other Canadian team either looks better right now or debatably has a brighter future.
I always get nervous playing Canadian teams because I don't want the Flames to embarrass themselves in front of other Canadian fans, so this season has been an absolute nightmare as a fan and most of the time I simply don't want to watch the game anymore.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #682
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I always get nervous playing Canadian teams because I don't want the Flames to embarrass themselves in front of other Canadian fans, so this season has been an absolute nightmare as a fan and most of the time I simply don't want to watch the game anymore.
I’m the opposite and was looking forward to this season for just that reason. Playing nothing but our rivals.

Obviously not happy about how it’s turning out. But can’t change the fact that as bad as it’s been, the entire division looks totally beatable. It’s just so frustrating that this is the squad we took into the season.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #683
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ do you think Sutter takes a ~30 game job, no strings attached?
Possible permanency, but no promises

And yes I do - I believe he would do it because he wants to see the Flames fixed as much as anyone else. And he loves it - he wants to be involved.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #684
Spurly
Draft Pick

Default Flames

Would love to see Sutter step in until the end of the season. We need to play with structure, and pace.
Spurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #685
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Sutter is the wrong coach for this team. They can't and won't play his game. Sutter was never one to adjust to the team, he adjusted the makeup of the team to fit his preferred style of play. Sutter would be as much a failure here as every one of Treliving's hires.
1) yes, they can play his game - and if they don't, they'll get benched

2) yes, Sutter does adjust to the team - you are just flat out wrong here. The notion that Sutter has one style of play, and forces it on his team, is patently false.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #686
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Possible permanency, but no promises

And yes I do - I believe he would do it because he wants to see the Flames fixed as much as anyone else. And he loves it - he wants to be involved.
Citation needed
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #687
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
At a time the Flames badly needed a top 6 RW his big trade is to give up a 1st and two 2nd round picks for Hamonic whose stock dropped so much that he's making league minimum today. Brad Treliving everyone.
^ "Best D-corp in NHL" (sounds like "best D-corp in Universe" cos better hockey league doesn't exist)
^ "GM of the year" (in early july, finished out of play-off)
^ "The Wizard" (aspirated)

Last edited by BruceCody; 03-02-2021 at 12:31 PM.
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #688
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somehow, this guy still has a job.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:43 PM   #689
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
1) yes, they can play his game - and if they don't, they'll get benched
No, they are physically incapable of playing the system he implements. Sutter relies on smash mouth hockey where size and physical play is a requirement. Too many small players on this team.

2) yes, Sutter does adjust to the team - you are just flat out wrong here. The notion that Sutter has one style of play, and forces it on his team, is patently false.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you can actually go through the teams that Sutter has coached and see the bodies he's relied upon. I've already done the comparison to the LA Kings and we are short eight to ten players with the size and physicality he demands. This team is not physically capable of playing heavy hockey, the trademark of all Sutter teams.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM   #690
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Honestly I can’t believe this thread is still going. GM’s and senior management need to be steady no matter what organization you’re talking about.

It’s crystal clear that the players on this team don’t give a flying puck about winning and don’t really mind losing either. The issue is in the dressing room not the GM’s office.

To all of those who will say “this GM put this team together” I have 2 questions: do you think Treliving expected this talented group to have zero heart or drive when he put them together? And let’s say you get to replace the GM, who’s the next dream GM out there that could turn this team around?

I agree the coach is no good, he has ‘assistant’ written all over them and it’s rare when those types shed their coat and become fearless leaders. I think this coach should be placed back as an assistant handling the PP and they should bring a big voice into the room to put these players in place and get them going again. Problem is it’ll have to be a big voice who’s willing to come here for minimum $$$ cuz Flames ownership doesn’t spend big on coaches.

Instead of bashing our heads against a wall in this chat, here’s an idea: work the players so hard that the weak ones either step up or get flushed out. The entire league is already plugged up with no cap space so forget about asking for a trade there’s none to be had so just give the players the option of working twice as hard or taking turns as healthy scratches.

The Flames have a very solvable problem, a sh*tty attitude. The easiest way to fix that is to sweat it out, it’ll feel like punishment but they’ll realize the attitude is very easy to drop.
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #691
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure he didn't plan for them to be ####ty, but it's not like this just popped up in the last 10 games. It's been clear since the Colorado series that this team wasn't going to do it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #692
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No, they are physically incapable of playing the system he implements. Sutter relies on smash mouth hockey where size and physical play is a requirement. Too many small players on this team.

2) yes, Sutter does adjust to the team - you are just flat out wrong here. The notion that Sutter has one style of play, and forces it on his team, is patently false.
Sorry, but you can actually go through the teams that Sutter has coached and see the bodies he's relied upon. I've already done the comparison to the LA Kings and we are short eight to ten players with the size and physicality he demands. This team is not physically capable of playing heavy hockey, the trademark of all Sutter teams.[/QUOTE]

Maybe we see more Ruzicka, Pospisil, Ritchie. Wouldn't be that bad.

We wouldn't see Simon or Ryan around, but I have a feeling Darryl would like Mangiapane and Dube. He's not going to be able to trade Gaudreau. He loves Backlund. Bennett might work out with Darryl or he'll get rid of him fast.

Probably wouldn't see Nestorov or Kylington around, but will probably see Mackay more, maybe Yelesin who is a physical defender.

That's about it for the small players.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #693
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary '89 View Post
To all of those who will say “this GM put this team together” I have 2 questions: do you think Treliving expected this talented group to have zero heart or drive when he put them together?
Isn't that about the most important consideration in evaluating talent?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #694
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm sure he didn't plan for them to be ####ty, but it's not like this just popped up in the last 10 games. It's been clear since the Colorado series that this team wasn't going to do it.
Dude it was clear to me after they got swept by Anaheim the season before Colorado but it’s not that simple. We as fans remember the Calgary Flames Golf and Country Club days before Iggy got traded. They were way too casual and stopped caring but Treliving as a new GM with a new batch of players can’t react to that until it’s clear. Now it’s clear as day that the CFGCC is back so it’s time to crack the whip. No trade or firing is gonna fix this issue.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #695
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude it was clear to me after they got swept by Anaheim the season before Colorado but it’s not that simple. We as fans remember the Calgary Flames Golf and Country Club days before Iggy got traded. They were way too casual and stopped caring but Treliving as a new GM with a new batch of players can’t react to that until it’s clear. Now it’s clear as day that the CFGCC is back so it’s time to crack the whip. No trade or firing is gonna fix this issue.
No single trade or firing. But a GM and coach firing and a bunch of player trades could.

Lets do that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #696
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Isn't that about the most important consideration in evaluating talent?
I’m not a scout unfortunately but I’m pretty sure it’s 2 of many many considerations that go into evaluating talent.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #697
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
No single trade or firing. But a GM and coach firing and a bunch of player trades could.

Lets do that.
Show me a team who’s done this successfully in the NHL? You see that more in the NFL with relatively quick bounce backs but I can’t think of a single NHL team who’s done it successfully. Blowing it up for the sake of change is reckless IMO.

Besides, who’s the Belichick of GM’s out there and why isn’t he working?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #698
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Show me a team who’s done this successfully in the NHL? You see that more in the NFL with relatively quick bounce backs but I can’t think of a single NHL team who’s done it successfully. Blowing it up for the sake of change is reckless IMO.

Besides, who’s the Belichick of GM’s out there and why isn’t he working?
Who said it was going to be quick? We're not blowing it up just for the sake of change, we're blowing it up because have a bad coach, a flawed roster and a GM that had 7 years to put it together. It's not working, it won't work. There's no value in clinging to this project, so it's time to move on.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #699
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Who said it was going to be quick? We're not blowing it up just for the sake of change, we're blowing it up because have a bad coach, a flawed roster and a GM that had 7 years to put it together. It's not working, it won't work. There's no value in clinging to this project, so it's time to move on.
I dunno man, I respectfully disagree. 7 years isn’t a long time in GM world, a new GM would need at least that much time to turn a team around his way.

I get that Tre hasn’t been magic but I’m thinking better the devil you know.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #700
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno man, I respectfully disagree. 7 years isn’t a long time in GM world, a new GM would need at least that much time to turn a team around his way.

I get that Tre hasn’t been magic but I’m thinking better the devil you know.

Tre started with a clean slate. Feaster did the dirty work

He walked in to a pretty sweet situation, a couple of gems on the roster who are still the core pieces, no cap issues

Dream situation for a GM, with a primed canvas
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote