Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #601
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Ownership has not ever given the green light to spend money on a coach. I think coaching is a massive part of the problem. Motivation is a huge problem, consistency, and even the lines combinations are complete garbage. Guys are not even playing the positions they should be.

Treliving's guy was Peters. Peters had the best record in the NHL in his only full season with the Flames. Obviously he had to go, as some disturbing news came to light about his past. This caught Treliving and the entire organization off guard.

Ward did a good job salvaging what he could for the rest of the season. Trelivings biggest mistake was allowing Ward to be the head coach this season. The Flames needed someone with more energy, more confidence, and more EXPERIENCE.

My question is- Why spend to the cap, and sign all these new players, and go 'all in', if your going to allow the team to be coached by a 4th line coach?

Thats no different than having 4 lines of plugs, and bringing in Scotty Bowman, and expect to the win the cup.

If Tree gets fired, its because of him bringing back Ward. He needed to bring in a top end coach, to coach a top end group of players on paper.

Anyways, i think Tree built a great roster, but has the wrong guy driving the bus.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #602
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
Ownership has not ever given the green light to spend money on a coach. I think coaching is a massive part of the problem. Motivation is a huge problem, consistency, and even the lines combinations are complete garbage. Guys are not even playing the positions they should be.

Treliving's guy was Peters. Peters had the best record in the NHL in his only full season with the Flames. Obviously he had to go, as some disturbing news came to light about his past. This caught Treliving and the entire organization off guard.

Ward did a good job salvaging what he could for the rest of the season. Trelivings biggest mistake was allowing Ward to be the head coach this season. The Flames needed someone with more energy, more confidence, and more EXPERIENCE.

My question is- Why spend to the cap, and sign all these new players, and go 'all in', if your going to allow the team to be coached by a 4th line coach?

Thats no different than having 4 lines of plugs, and bringing in Scotty Bowman, and expect to the win the cup.

If Tree gets fired, its because of him bringing back Ward. He needed to bring in a top end coach, to coach a top end group of players on paper.

Anyways, i think Tree built a great roster, but has the wrong guy driving the bus.
Don't believe that is accurate.

Niether Sutter or Keenan would have come real cheap.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #603
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't agree with the claims that ownership doesn't want to spend on coaching .. because they are willing to spend to the cap.

Part of the GMs job is to convince ownership the best route for success. If you can't do that, then you aren't doing your job properly.

Are you telling me Treliving couldn't convince ownership that instead of signing a guy like Brouwer or Neal, he wanted to spend that money on a coach. Or this past season, use up the money on Ward, Simon, and Leivo were given to bring in a better coach.

Is he that bad at showing his vision? Or convincing his bosses on the right plan? Or dare I say it, Treliving has no fricken clue how to evaluate good coaches.

You are telling me the owners are totally okay with deadweight cap being used on Brouwer, Raymond, and Stone - but not okay to spend an extra couple of dollars for a qualified coach?

Last edited by keenan87; 02-27-2021 at 10:00 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #604
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre’s greatest achievement is somehow convincing fans that he wasn’t 100% responsible for each coach hire and that he was somehow handcuffed by ownership.

I’m not sure if that story started in our ranks or was seeded with media. I’m not saying he started it. It’s just very interesting magical thinking.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #605
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea I don’t buy the cheap ownership argument at all. I mean, how much has tre expanded the hockey ops department? That can’t be cheap. He has like a million Assistant GMs all telling him what a wonderful job he’s doing.

Tre and Maloney are still traumatized from the Tippett coup, that’s all this is about.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #606
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Yea I don’t buy the cheap ownership argument at all. I mean, how much has tre expanded the hockey ops department? That can’t be cheap. He has like a million Assistant GMs all telling him what a wonderful job he’s doing.

Tre and Maloney are still traumatized from the Tippett coup, that’s all this is about.
This is my theory. Stay clear of coaches that have clout and may voice his opinion to GM on certain things. Anytime a person accepts a job where they are hired to be fired it's natural to have a job preservation strategy in place. You see it in the NFL all the time when NFL coaches that are doing a poor job scapegoat the assistants.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-27-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 10:29 AM   #607
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not ready to say that Treliving needs to be fired. I do, however, firmly believe that he is ultimately responsible for the success or lack of success that the Flames have. If the Flames don't make the playoffs, given how much they spent in the off-season and given how this has been a cap team for many seasons, and the Flames aren't even a perennial playoff team to this point - that's on him and him alone.

I do think that much like Darryl Sutter, Treliving is just unable to hire the right coach for the team. That was (IMO of course) Sutter's single worst issue as a GM, and I do think it has been Treliving's worst issue. Not to say that there haven't been other mistakes (on both their parts), but I do think the awful coaching hires have been the bane of this team for decades, only interspersed with a few competent hires and a few wonderful hires.

If the Flames don't make the playoffs this year, I do think that a change should be made. This team seems to be more talented than it was when Treliving first arrived, but has it really been any better?

I am not ready to move on yet, but... hey, if you can get Lombardi in here, that's a no-brainer for me at the same time.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #608
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Coaches coach. Managers manage and players play.

We are now going back to the same lineup that crashed and burned in the playoffs. That is not on the coach. This is on the GM who has failed to provide the coach with a better mix from last season. The coach is now desperate as his attempt to blend the lines to overcome the failures from the last playoffs has not paid off. Again, not on him as he understands the weaknesses of what he has to work with and he tried to make the corresponding changes, which is on the players and ultimately the GM.

This debacle is all on Treliving. He as a manager has failed to provide the coach with players that allows the team to succeed. He has failed to address the Bennett issue and that stench continues to permeate the dressing room. He doubled down on the core that had continually let us down and now it appears that he might end up paying the price for his mismanagement of the team.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #609
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think Treliving is a bad GM. Succeeding as a GM is really hard especially on the criteria of some posters. You need a lot of things to go right - you need to get lucky at the draft based on watching 17 year old kids playing short schedules, and figuring out which ones will be great in 6 years. You need to have trades that work themselves out just right - willing trading partner with an asset you need, with a need that you can fill. You better not sign any bad contracts in a cap league. And if you are in Calgary, you are hindered in UFA signing.

That said, it’s a results league and they haven’t moved forward.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #610
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don’t think Treliving is a bad GM. Succeeding as a GM is really hard especially on the criteria of some posters. You need a lot of things to go right - you need to get lucky at the draft based on watching 17 year old kids playing short schedules, and figuring out which ones will be great in 6 years. You need to have trades that work themselves out just right - willing trading partner with an asset you need, with a need that you can fill. You better not sign any bad contracts in a cap league. And if you are in Calgary, you are hindered in UFA signing.

That said, it’s a results league and they haven’t moved forward.
tend to agree, Treliving isn't an incompetent GM who has no clue and i dont doubt that he is working hard to improve this team. It is a difficult job and the results are what matters and this team has for sometime not been a mentally tough team. I feel like Ward can only be blamed so much for a team that comes out and gets 4 shots in the first period or once they give upa few goals, they pack it n. 6-1 to Ottawa? a new start is needed here.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #611
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Don't believe that is accurate.

Niether Sutter or Keenan would have come real cheap.
Sutter did not cost them much money from my memory, correct me if I'm wrong, he didn't make his mark until he came to Calgary and went to the Cup final. Keenan was a head case, and no other team wanted him.

Why would you not think that Calgary has NOT paid for top end coaching?

The proof is in the last 5 coaches.

Last edited by Iggy Snipe; 02-27-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #612
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sutter did cost them, he didn't make his mark until he came to Calgary and went to the Cup final. Keenan was a head case, and no other team wanted him.

Brent Sutter was expensive.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #613
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno bout y’all, but this afternoon’s effort in Ottawa has changed my tune.

I think Brad should be given more time.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #614
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sutter did cost them, he didn't make his mark until he came to Calgary and went to the Cup final. Keenan was a head case, and no other team wanted him.

Darryl Sutter was highly thought of when he came here. Sharks had improved five years in a row under him, I don’t know if many coaches have ever done that. I doubt he was cheap.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #615
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Darryl Sutter was highly thought of when he came here. Sharks had improved five years in a row under him, I don’t know if many coaches have ever done that. I doubt he was cheap.
I still think Darryl Sutter was the best coach Flames have had since 2004.

I just don't think he cost them much money, it would not have been considered a hire of a 'proven' winner.

Now Darryl took the Flames to the 7th game of the Stanley cup final, and won 2 cups with the Kings, which is pretty legendary stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #616
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still think Darryl Sutter was the best coach Flames have had since 2004.

I just don't think he cost them much money, it would not have been considered a hire of a 'proven' winner.

Now Darryl took the Flames to the 7th game of the Stanley cup final, and won 2 cups with the Kings, which is pretty legendary stuff.
Darryl famously had never missed the POs, which is what Calgary was looking for. I don’t think he was the most expensive but he would have been making above average coaching money, unless location made a difference.

And like I said, Brent was expensive.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #617
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nm
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #618
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad Treliving needs to go.....

And enjoy a late lunch after today’s win
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #619
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Brad Treliving needs to go.....

And enjoy a late lunch after today’s win
This is why the Flames have been mediocre for decades. One win against the worst team in the league and its enough for some.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #620
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad Treliving needs to go...

...acquire Jack Eichel.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: