Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #1141
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Yes to clarify we are selling our current home before our new house is completed.
Are you confident in the builder completing your new home on schedule? With how things are these days, I'd want to have a lot of latitude with possession dates.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #1142
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Are you confident in the builder completing your new home on schedule? With how things are these days, I'd want to have a lot of latitude with possession dates.
This is a major issue. There are serious supply shortages. Surprising things too. I've been waiting for a part for my furnace for months now....in the coldest winter on record in Vancouver.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #1143
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah a friend is now renting the condo they just sold because the house they are building has been delayed 4 months. Just getting soaked on rent too.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #1144
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A builder will also come back to you and say this home costs 40k more, pay up or lose it.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 11:00 AM   #1145
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
A builder will also come back to you and say this home costs 40k more, pay up or lose it.
I guess if you signed a contract allowing such things. Maybe they are writing them that way now. But I’ve heard of lots of complaints from builders not making any money because of pricing changes.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #1146
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes me almost want to sell my house and live with my parents. Almost haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #1147
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a bit of inheritance money and I'm in the market for a 2 bedroom condo. Is now a good time in north Calgary or Airdrie?
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:14 AM   #1148
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I have a bit of inheritance money and I'm in the market for a 2 bedroom condo. Is now a good time in north Calgary or Airdrie?
Depends what your goal is. Make money? No. Somewhere to live? Sure.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:21 AM   #1149
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Depends what your goal is. Make money? No. Somewhere to live? Sure.
I know I have a lot of research to do, I've never owned property. Not really looking to make money. Sounds like a lot of people have been losing money on their condos and a detached house is better in terms of retaining value but I plan on being single indefinitely and a house will be a lot of work.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #1150
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've only been following the last few pages so someone give me a quick schooling here. Being in Victoria (14 years now), the last 3-5 years have been basically what you guys are experiencing in Calgary now. Houses are selling for way more than they should, with no conditions, and usually before they hit the market (Realtors talking I assume).

Knowing a few people who moved from Calgary to Victoria in recent years, they had a hell of a time selling their condo/houses.

Is the change due to the interest rates increasing? More people going to Alberta? People upgrading? Just seems like hysteria there now. How long has this been trending?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:20 PM   #1151
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I've only been following the last few pages so someone give me a quick schooling here. Being in Victoria (14 years now), the last 3-5 years have been basically what you guys are experiencing in Calgary now. Houses are selling for way more than they should, with no conditions, and usually before they hit the market (Realtors talking I assume).

Knowing a few people who moved from Calgary to Victoria in recent years, they had a hell of a time selling their condo/houses.

Is the change due to the interest rates increasing? More people going to Alberta? People upgrading? Just seems like hysteria there now. How long has this been trending?
$88 WTI this morning and a market that is affordable compared to all the other major urban centers.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 02-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #1152
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We are in the process of getting our house ready to list now. Talking with our realtor, he says there is also a significant number of people coming in from vancouver/toronto to buy the more affordable properties here as investment properties. Don't know how much of that is just realtor speak though.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 02-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #1153
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalus View Post
We are in the process of getting our house ready to list now. Talking with our realtor, he says there is also a significant number of people coming in from vancouver/toronto to buy the more affordable properties here as investment properties. Don't know how much of that is just realtor speak though.
What area?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:18 PM   #1154
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Saddleridge and redstone of course!

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...y-saddle-ridge
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...lgary-redstone
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:23 PM   #1155
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Calgary seems like a combo of an "affordable" market and a shortage of houses due to building labour/materials being in short supply. The feds have also been pumping endless amounts of cash into the system via low interest rates and various forms of stimulus. Also, there's increased demand for detached housing as people work from home more.

IMO, Calgary is due for a correction upwards. At the very least, you'd expect home prices to rise with inflation, which is going to be/has been very substantial (if you add up what's already occurred and what will occur over the next 2-3 years, I'd say 30+%).
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 02-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #1156
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably a tricky question, but anyone know what most builders are saying right for build times?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #1157
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone needing a home or condo in Calgary/Alberta would be smart to buy now, asap despite the bidding hysteria. All signs point to sharp increases in home prices this year due to inflationary pressure on pretty much all construction materials across the board. All signs point to increases in the interest rates as well, which will increase borrowing costs and make obtaining a mortgage a little more difficult due to qualifying. That may also put downward pressure on home prices in over-supplied situations, but we are far from being over-supplied here. There is a clear shortage of fee-simple product under $500,000.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #1158
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I upsized in Sept 2020 and have stayed on my realtors distribution and the market is bonkers right now. Stuff selling 1 day on market, over list price, meaning there are zero conditions. While I could have got more money for the sale of my house, there is nothing available in my new neighbourhood and inventory that is listed sells for +20% higher than what I purchased for. Typically timing is not my friend so a nice change of pace.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #1159
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Probably a tricky question, but anyone know what most builders are saying right for build times?
A builder we've been talking to lately is saying 8-9 months once permits are in place... This is for a custom build on a redevelopment lot. As far as delays, he says the actual construction isn't as much of an issue as some finnish materials, appliances, etc.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #1160
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I know I have a lot of research to do, I've never owned property. Not really looking to make money. Sounds like a lot of people have been losing money on their condos and a detached house is better in terms of retaining value but I plan on being single indefinitely and a house will be a lot of work.
At the very least I would look at a townhouse vs an apartment style condo building. Those hold their value much better and you don't have to worry about neighbors above or below you, and you still get the benefits of a management company who takes care of maintenance
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: