Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #101
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
It's impossible to evaluate this trade until both Hanifin and Lindholm resign.

Board's going to go crazy if this happens.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #102
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
At least you guys aren’t bored anymore.
Haha! Touche!

"May you live in interesting times."

Indeed!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #103
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Puzzled by all the "I didn't like Hamilton anyway" crap. Who was on a scoring streak down the stretch when the rest of the team's offense disappeared? A lot of posters here couldn't wait to move Bouwmeester, too. I'm sure you'll love Hanifin by comparison.

Agree with the posters saying that Treliving gets fixated on a player and exposes himself to overpaying. Did the same thing with Hamonic. Does the same thing with coaches. Other GMs have a read on this guy now, doesn't bode well for the franchise.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:27 PM   #104
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
So... much... whinning...

It wasn't that bad a trade, maybe a bit overpay but it happens. People acting like the sky is falling. I think trade made us deeper.
Whining? Or........Winning?????
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #105
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Puzzled by all the "I didn't like Hamilton anyway" crap. Who was on a scoring streak down the stretch when the rest of the team's offense disappeared? A lot of posters here couldn't wait to move Bouwmeester, too. I'm sure you'll love Hanifin by comparison.

Agree with the posters saying that Treliving gets fixated on a player and exposes himself to overpaying. Did the same thing with Hamonic. Does the same thing with coaches. Other GMs have a read on this guy now, doesn't bode well for the franchise.

This is an interesting point. My wife and I were talking about this the other day. Seems like Treliving values his connections and builds out from there. We were discussing if we felt this was a strength or weakness.

He also does not seem to be influenced by what others think, he would rather tell fans not get stressed out and to go read a book. He seems to have his own agenda and sticks with it.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #106
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would guess this is his homerun swing off season now. Miss and He's done.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:46 PM   #107
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
All they got was 2 top 5 picks

This thread could be an epic bump...we shall see
Gonna be a funny bump I think.

Our defense will be the same but our forwards will be better and we have cap space for another UFA winger.

Ferland is an average player and best case scenario fox is on our third pairing in three years.

Lindholm fits the core perfectly. I've actually heard complaints that he may only be a 50 to 60 point ceiling. That sounds perfect to me and we got a defender with a very high ceiling.

This team is going to be better than last year with room still too improve
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #108
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Gonna be a funny bump I think.

Our defense will be the same but our forwards will be better and we have cap space for another UFA winger.

Ferland is an average player and best case scenario fox is on our third pairing in three years.

Lindholm fits the core perfectly. I've actually heard complaints that he may only be a 50 to 60 point ceiling. That sounds perfect to me and we got a defender with a very high ceiling.

This team is going to be better than last year with room still too improve
I'm with you...

Not sure why folks are having such a hard time with this deal. The only thing I can think of is that we're so used to Hearing the best player wins the deal. Sure that might be Hamilton right now but...

He obviously presents an issue in the dressing room. Personally I don't care how but where there's smoke there's fire and I would argue it's starting to catch fire given Boston and now the Flames. The kickback seems similar to when Boston dealt him and the fans take there. Considering how the flames kept a lid on it, I'm really happy with the return.

We got younger and we have two first rounders top 5. Ferland IMO has hit his ceiling and I would argue may take a slide. Fox wasn't going to sign...

So what are we talking about here?

Lindholm and Hanifin have so much upside. I'd like to think Hanifin can really take it to that next level with our
experienced D. Brodie goes back to Gio. And I could see Backlund and Lindhol really feeding off each other...

Folks gotta take a chill pill. This board is so over-the-top sometimes it's bizarre.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Doom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 02:37 AM   #109
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lost faith in Treliving a good while ago. The goaltending disaster that messed up a season followed by firing Hartley and hiring Gulutzan, who turned the team from fun to boring while also sucking, had already made me disappointed. Nothing about this makes me regain faith. The first Hamilton trade was one thing I considered a big win for him, now he ships the guy out along with Ferland? I am more disappointed and continue to lack faith.

One of the worst things about trading a top defenceman just entering his prime and a 20+ goal-scorer and tough guy also entering his prime for a couple of younger RFAs is that it suggests he does not believe the window to win is now and is not going for it, so we are likely to see talent like Gaudreau, Monahan and Giordano just continue to age while the team has moved steps backwards with Tre in charge.

We replaced a cup-winning GM and a cup-winning coach with a GM from Arizona and, after a first failed coach, a coach from Carolina who then brought along some players from their former organizations while moving out a top young talent that had at least played with a bunch of cup winners in a good organization previously. Are the Flames trying to win, cause it really doesn't feel like it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 03:19 AM   #110
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Treliving as a GM is a garbage dumpster fire.
Stay Golden as a poster is a garbage dumpster fire
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #111
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving brought in Hamilton and Bennett to play key roles. Hamilton appeared to have issues that forced the Flames to trade him away, and Bennett has flopped so far. Makes me wonder if Treliving has a clue about evaluating key players.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:08 AM   #112
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
It's impossible to evaluate this trade until both Hanifin and Lindholm resign. Not sure how anyone can over react until that happens. IMO this trade is a very good trade long term. Maybe not great short term

Ferland has 1 year til UFA. If he gets a 4+ million contract long term and Lindholm gets 4.75 for 6 years. I would rather take the 23 year old for 6-8 years over Ferland who only has proven to be worth 4+ million on the first line playing with a player like Gaudreau. At the deadline as a rental maybe worth a 2nd

Fox is a good prospect but he still ranks outside the top 50 prospects in the NHL. He could be a huge steal but he may never have been a Flame

Hamilton vs Hanifin. I like Hamilton more but he has 3 years to UFA. I would think Treliving will sign Hanifin to at least 6 years or a bridge deal then a 6-8 year deal. Hanifin has high end potential and is 21. If Treliving signs him 5.5 to 6 mil for 6-8 years this buys the Flames time to become cup contenders. I could see Hamilton getting 10 mil in 3 years or more depending on the cap. If the Flames were on the cusp of a cup fine don't do this. Right now they aren't close so sign me up for 2 very good young core players for 1 very good young core player
This sums it up right. Cap manageemnt is key to long game here and fully explains this move. BTs best skill. This is where he is vastly better than Chia.

We lock up 2 new core pieces long term under the Gio ceiling. Ferland and Hamilton overpays were on horizon. No danger we cannot sign Tkachuk next year and we can also handle a Bennett breakout year salary bump. Even room for a UFA top 6 RW if term not too long.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:31 AM   #113
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I lost faith in Treliving a good while ago. The goaltending disaster that messed up a season followed by firing Hartley and hiring Gulutzan, who turned the team from fun to boring while also sucking, had already made me disappointed. Nothing about this makes me regain faith. The first Hamilton trade was one thing I considered a big win for him, now he ships the guy out along with Ferland? I am more disappointed and continue to lack faith.

One of the worst things about trading a top defenceman just entering his prime and a 20+ goal-scorer and tough guy also entering his prime for a couple of younger RFAs is that it suggests he does not believe the window to win is now and is not going for it, so we are likely to see talent like Gaudreau, Monahan and Giordano just continue to age while the team has moved steps backwards with Tre in charge.

We replaced a cup-winning GM and a cup-winning coach with a GM from Arizona and, after a first failed coach, a coach from Carolina who then brought along some players from their former organizations while moving out a top young talent that had at least played with a bunch of cup winners in a good organization previously. Are the Flames trying to win, cause it really doesn't feel like it.
Last year, he went all in with the Hamonic trade, leveraging the future. This year, he's shipping away players in their prime to pick up young players that "may" live up to their potential in a couple of years. Sure doesn't sound like someone with a plan. Furthermore, he's tossed in two NCAA players in deals to get them done, just because they weren't going to sign here. Even Feaster got a return of multiple picks for Erixon.

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #114
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fire Brad Treliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
This sums it up right. Cap manageemnt is key to long game here and fully explains this move. BTs best skill. This is where he is vastly better than Chia.

We lock up 2 new core pieces long term under the Gio ceiling. Ferland and Hamilton overpays were on horizon. No danger we cannot sign Tkachuk next year and we can also handle a Bennett breakout year salary bump. Even room for a UFA top 6 RW if term not too long.

If there is a “Gio ceiling” then the Flames are hooped. Teams don’t win without game-breaking talent and game-breaking talent ain’t cheap. This group is starting to resemble the Brent Sutter era where the roster is filled with a bunch of complementary pieces and headed by a coach with no track record of NHL success.

I have serious concerns that we’re headed for another extended playoff drought. The talent level relative to the rest of the league just isn’t there.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:57 AM   #115
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thread is overreaction obviously, but I think it's safe to say that if the Flames are not in the 2019 playoffs Treliving is gone.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #116
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My initial reaction was that this was a bad trade, especially since they included fox. however, after reading some suggestions that fox was not goin* to sign here, and that perhaps there were some intangibles with respect to Hamilton, I am more open minded about the trade.

After last season the team needed a shake up and the management did that.

It will be interesting to see how this translates on ice.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:04 AM   #117
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree with another poster he could have gotten another 2nd or 3rd round pick (conditional perhaps) but from strictly asset management perspective, I think he did the Flames a service here with all the contractual clouds forming from the players that went the other way.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #118
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Last year, he went all in with the Hamonic trade, leveraging the future. This year, he's shipping away players in their prime to pick up young players that "may" live up to their potential in a couple of years. Sure doesn't sound like someone with a plan. Furthermore, he's tossed in two NCAA players in deals to get them done, just because they weren't going to sign here. Even Feaster got a return of multiple picks for Erixon.
Why do you think getting picks for guys that aren’t going to sign is better than making a hockey trade. He wasn’t tossed in. He was part of the deal
I don’t get this line of thinking
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #119
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Difference is Erixon got picked up by a team that knew they could sign him. Hickey and Fox, no such guarantee
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #120
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fire Brad Treliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Difference is Erixon got picked up by a team that knew they could sign him. Hickey and Fox, no such guarantee

The irony is that all three could very well (or even probably will) end up in New York.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote