Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate previews of next week me episodes.

They are so bad and spoil the eniltiewnnext show.

Worse are HBOs Season long previews where they show you the entire season thus spooling all the plot points. My mind like told to work through the possibilities of what can happen and previews eliminate lots of possibilities even with a line of dialog.

As for timing I think Facebook posts should wait a week for TV and about a month for movies. For sports I think it's fair game as they should be enjoyed love and the onus is on the individual to avoid all social media until they watch it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #22
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tend to avoid "next week on..." for The Amazing Race, because I like to be surprised where they are going next.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #23
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The problem I have with the people who spoil is, what is gained by them revealing one? If they don't know if someone has seen it, why can't they take 3 seconds to ask first? It reminds me of some gossip who just can't keep their mouth shut about a secret they heard.

Do most people not watch older movies/TV series? I am constantly seeking out old movies; I probably watch more older ones than current ones. When it comes to TV, I hate watching shows while they air because of the long down time between seasons.

Imagine my elation when some blabbermouth just had to tell me how Breaking Bad ended...randomly and not even remotely contextual to the conversation. That was one month after the season ended but even if it were 5 years, ask first.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
The problem I have with the people who spoil is, what is gained by them revealing one? If they don't know if someone has seen it, why can't they take 3 seconds to ask first? It reminds me of some gossip who just can't keep their mouth shut about a secret they heard.

Do most people not watch older movies/TV series? I am constantly seeking out old movies; I probably watch more older ones than current ones. When it comes to TV, I hate watching shows while they air because of the long down time between seasons.

Imagine my elation when some blabbermouth just had to tell me how Breaking Bad ended...randomly and not even remotely contextual to the conversation. That was one month after the season ended but even if it were 5 years, ask first.
I disagree with the forever spoiler. Some shows become part of the consciousness of society. It would be like you being annoyed someone spoiled that the flames won a Stanley Cup in 1989 because eventually you were going to watch the tape.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #25
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I typically watch shows a few days after they air and avoid spoilers in those instances, but if there are still several months until the next episode, I will sometimes read spoilers because half the time they are inaccurate and most of the time, I end up forgetting the details by the time the show is back on anyway.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Lucas did not intend Vader would be Luke's father in the first movie. That development came later?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #27
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "previously on..." are worse spoilers than the "Next week on..." IMO. Usually the "next week" don't give away much and sometimes even mislead, so they are more just annoying. "Previously on..." often set up everything that is going to happen on that episode by pointing out which scenes from the last year or two are relevant.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #28
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post

Cool story bro time:

A Visions radio ad from about a year or so ago spoiled the Breaking Bad ending. Basically, they were plugging their TVs and watching ahead in a series, and said something like "Well, you can just act surprised when _______".

I already knew the ending, but I will never shop at Visions again out of principle.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #29
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I would say it's 1 month for everything.

If you haven't seen it by then, you don't care enough about it to be outraged by a spoiler.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Some people like to let a whole season of a tv show record on the pvr before watching all of them in succession. That usually takes more than a month.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #30
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I think all spoilers should be marked for at least a couple weeks to a month. Agree that if you have not seen it by then, you probably don't care enough if it is spoiled.

I'm really only sensitive to GOT and video games these days lately. (Gears of War was a good example of a game I stayed away from all media on so as not to be spoiled)

What is irritating, is when I got a warning for a "spoiler" in the Walking Dead comparing one scene to what happened in the comic (looking at you Ken ). I did not even touch on the fact of who died, but that the show runners cheaped out on the impact of the scene by making it a cliff-hanger.

I think the Grey area is if there is another medium, like TV and Books and it is compared. Ie I love reading about the differences between GoT TV from the Book, and don't get bent out of shape discussing them, but some people do.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #31
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true. Some people like to let a whole season of a tv show record on the pvr before watching all of them in succession. That usually takes more than a month.
Yeap. I'm not a fan of waiting week to week to find out what happens next in a show, so I prefer to let the season play out and then binge watch it. No waiting for commercial breaks, and no waiting for a week to see what happens the next episode.

Some shows I've given up on that though, like TWD for instance. That's because my wife now also watches the show and doesn't like to wait until it's over because she like to yak about it with friends who also watch, and also because a show with this big of a following it's becoming increasingly difficult to avoid spoilers. If I hadn't watched this first episode of season 7 the night it came out, I would have been spoilered for sure because it was all over facebook and everywhere.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #32
Knut

Exp:

I got Game of Thrones, two years ago, spoiled for me in the GOT thread. Some Asshat came in and spoiled it brazenly and on purpose.

Accidental spoilers on twitter or facebook is my fault for going on there while i was waiting to start watching a show.

My brother is also notorious for texting me. "Did you see what happened last episode, that is crazy stuff... can not believe the would kill off that guy". While not a direct spoiler, it ruins the surprise.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #33
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am ok if the ending gets reveled to my mind via some medium like the internet, people I know, tv or any one of the various street mimes that are in the Calgary area
Old 11-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #34
rumy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
I think all spoilers should be marked for at least a couple weeks to a month. Agree that if you have not seen it by then, you probably don't care enough if it is spoiled.

I'm really only sensitive to GOT and video games these days lately. (Gears of War was a good example of a game I stayed away from all media on so as not to be spoiled)

What is irritating, is when I got a warning for a "spoiler" in the Walking Dead comparing one scene to what happened in the comic (looking at you Ken ). I did not even touch on the fact of who died, but that the show runners cheaped out on the impact of the scene by making it a cliff-hanger.

I think the Grey area is if there is another medium, like TV and Books and it is compared. Ie I love reading about the differences between GoT TV from the Book, and don't get bent out of shape discussing them, but some people do.

Agreed. At least a week or 2. We all have busy lives
rumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

As long as you make a prank video out of spoiling things, you should be good:

Edit: Looks like I messed up the link. Was trying to link to an exact time in the video. Basically it's a dude driving along with a megaphone spoiling the release of a Harry Potter book to a bunch of people waiting in line outside of a bookstore. It's at 1:23 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5NltsDWX8

Last edited by Sliver; 11-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before I click on it...is it a spoiler?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends what it is. I will go pretty far out of my way to avoid GOT spoilers, because I stopped watching after the show caught up to the books a couple of years ago. It actually annoys the crap out of me when other media (say, late night TV) that I happen to catch a piece of decide to just spoil crap from HBO shows at random by making an offhand reference.

It helps if in conversation if someone brings up a TV show, they lead in with "do you watch (Show)?" or "Have you seen (movie)?" So as to give me the opportunity to say "no, don't spoil it for me though because I do want to watch it."
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #38
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I understand show spoilers when the season is actively running...but if you haven't caught up on Game of Thrones and a plot line gets spoiled that's your own damn fault.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I understand show spoilers when the season is actively running...but if you haven't caught up on Game of Thrones and a plot line gets spoiled that's your own damn fault.
Yeah, there has to be a statute of limitations on spoilers and on something as massive as Game of Thrones while the season is running, that period is really short.

I've missed episodes of GoT and if you dont watch them by the next day you're screwed unless you live in a Faraday Cage.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #40
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Um, no it isn't. It's not that I "haven't caught up", as if I haven't gotten around to it. I'm intentionally not watching so that I can read the book version first, because I think I'll enjoy it more in that order. I've been reading those books since my mom gave me a copy of the first one some time in the 1990's, it's like a holdover piece of childhood nostalgia.

I actively avoid videos and mediums where spoilers are likely to be and stop people before they tell me anything significant. I do about as much as reasonably possible to avoid hearing about it. It's really annoying when that fails to work.

... And of course now I have to close this thread and never open it again because someone is obviously going to hilariously spoil something for me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote