Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #81
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Personally I was a fan of the move, but think it will really benefit from a directors cut. IMO some of the holes were strictly driven by the cuts that were made by the studio (Specifically the part where Thor goes into the water).
I agree, and it's ridiculous since Whedon gave Marvel the highest grossing movie by someone not named James Cameron. If Peter Jackson can get 3+ hours for his movies, give Whedon the same to properly flesh out a universe with so many distinct characters and storylines
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #82
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

During the truck action scene how was Ultron lifting and flying pavement around?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #83
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Really didn't like it at all. The movie was the epitome of unthreatening henchman movies, the whole thing with Ultron and Vision... wow did they ever mess things up. As the series goes on it gets less and less subtle. I watched Iron Man 1 again and it's night and day difference;

I'd explain it like an ambitious underdog taking a chance tries to make sure they don't violate any major logical storytelling rules and as Marvel has made more and more money this has changed and they no longer feel fallible. The sense of infallibility is palpable in the most recent Marvel movies. They think that mindless action, faceless drones interspersed with one liners from the Avengers is good enough. It's not. I probably won't see another Marvel movie until the finale and that'll be in my house, saying I'm disappointed in the movie is an understatement. It's changed my views on paying for movies in theaters.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #84
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Really didn't like it at all. The movie was the epitome of unthreatening henchman movies, the whole thing with Ultron and Vision... wow did they ever mess things up. As the series goes on it gets less and less subtle. I watched Iron Man 1 again and it's night and day difference;

I'd explain it like an ambitious underdog taking a chance tries to make sure they don't violate any major logical storytelling rules and as Marvel has made more and more money this has changed and they no longer feel fallible. The sense of infallibility is palpable in the most recent Marvel movies. They think that mindless action, faceless drones interspersed with one liners from the Avengers is good enough. It's not. I probably won't see another Marvel movie until the finale and that'll be in my house, saying I'm disappointed in the movie is an understatement. It's changed my views on paying for movies in theaters.
Think they just tried to do too much, and lots got cut, so in the end the movie lacked flow and story telling.

Issue with this one is it just was kind of dropped into the universe. Didn't really build from any of the prior movies, and just jumped into the Avengers being a team ready to go again.

Also getting hard to have any character development when you have 10 characters to focus on, and when you are introducing so many new charactes (Ultron, Vision, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Klaw).
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #85
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see how a movie like this one offended so many people....I honestly thought it was great. Sure, there was a lot going on and they didn't do a good job on some things but if you follow marvel comics you'd most likely know the basics about most characters and even if you're not that familiar with the characters they didn't do that horrible of a job brining them to the screen.

This movie could have been a few hours longer but it wasn't so they had to work with what they were given. It's also the marvel movie universe and it's not going to be the exact same as the comics. It was meant to be nothing more than entertaining, and it I thought it was.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #86
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I feel people are being to hard on the movie. It was very well done given the scope. I think they COULD have made it a bit longer to fit more, but overall they made a lot of nods to the comic books and that was appreciated.

Every major comic book arc involves subtle hints to previous tie in comics, check, a lot of major characters, check, introducing new characters and developing new relationships, check, a massive villain, check, and huge all out battles, check.

Got it all, I am happy.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #87
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I don't see how a movie like this one offended so many people....I honestly thought it was great. Sure, there was a lot going on and they didn't do a good job on some things but if you follow marvel comics you'd most likely know the basics about most characters and even if you're not that familiar with the characters they didn't do that horrible of a job brining them to the screen.

This movie could have been a few hours longer but it wasn't so they had to work with what they were given. It's also the marvel movie universe and it's not going to be the exact same as the comics. It was meant to be nothing more than entertaining, and it I thought it was.
Seemed very similar to the first one for me...that would be the only flaw with it. I feel like movies like Guardians of the Galaxy are advancing the overall plot along much further. This was really just an extended action sequence.

I guess it creates the tension for a Civil War movie. However, that's not all that difficult when you have a plot device like the Hulk. He's a superhero that also losses it and is capable of smashing buildings...the concept of a superhero registration doesn't require all that much build up.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #88
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guardians advanced the overall plot better than avengers 2 because it was a new movie with new characters and no real lead up to it. The second movie will be pretty much the same as the first or at least a continuation of it. A major complaint I've heard is that people don't like how the movie starts and they're all just a team, well the first movie ended and they were all a team so why expect it to be different. They can all do their own things on the side like the comic univers, the characters in groups still have their own stories going on. I think when they assembled the new avengers at the end of AoU it opened up a lot of avenues they can go. It wasn't a perfect movie but to say that it ruined marvel movies is a bit harsh. It's a comic book movie, it's not going to be perfect and it'll have a lot of flaws....just like the comics do. I guess if people want to complain for the sake of complaining, they'll find reasons no matter what.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #89
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://heroclix.com/heroclix/marvel-...#axzz3a89vL0jO

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ers-age-ultron
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #90
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Saw it yesterday. I thought it was okay but I definitely didn't think it was as terrible as some of you seemed to.

I think the main reason it was just "okay" is cause the hype of all these superheros together has worn off and this was just a continuation of the story with nothing new. It was getting very interesting when they started to turn on each other. I wish they just rolled with that more.

As a non-comic book guy, Vision was super lame.

I'm excited for Civil War. That should bring something new to the table.

This movie just felt like filler.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote