Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #41
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think there should be a couple of Marvel movies where the bad guy wins. In a big and bad way. Add some street cred that he's a legit threat.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #42
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
i think there should be a couple of Marvel movies where the bad guy wins. In a big and bad way. Add some street cred that he's a legit threat.
I kind of agree. Some of the best endings I have witness did not turn out good for the good guys and left it open. However that is difficult considering most of the Marvel villains want to destroy earth.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shouldn't this be happening in the next Xmen? Apocalypse mess things up in a big way before he is finally taken down/sent away.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Marvel definitely would do well to have their "Empire Strikes Back"
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #45
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Marvel definitely would do well to have their "Empire Strikes Back"

Infinity War Part 1?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #46
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back and I thought it was decent. I'm nothing more than a casual fan of all these comic book movies so my review is pretty much meaningless, but as a film I liked Guardians better.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #47
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

When can we talk? I don't know how to do the Spoiler thing.

I was very entertained, but I have been very invested in this world for 40 years. Like the Avengers books, the movie can get bogged down with too many characters, and every story being about the end of the world. At least it wasn't NYC that got trashed again.

Really liked Scarlet Witch. The right amount of spooky. In the books her powers had more to do with controlling probability than blasting things. There is a set-up when she said she could enter Vision's mind.

Also really liked the look and feel of the Vision. I don't think they showed anything about his density control.

I don't normally like a lot of action and CGI, but there were some great scenes that were exciting. Too many robots that can fly on both sides. I liked when they lifted the truck and cradle off the ground. Nat on the motorcycle was great. Hulk vs. Tony was fun. I liked how the Helecarrier was used.

Happy to see Klaw and Wakanda mentioned, but was hoping to get a glimpse of T'Challa.

I thought Helen Cho would do something to help a certain wounded hero.

@Hack&Lube - I don't think they showed Wakanda. They were in Africa, but when we see Wakanda it should blow our minds. It should look like a high-tech kingdom of the future.

Last edited by troutman; 05-14-2015 at 10:26 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #48
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by -TC-; 05-02-2015 at 11:28 PM.
-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:42 AM   #49
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah Iron Man 1, Winter Soldier and GotG are still the cream of the crop for Marvel movies for me. I would put Avengers 1 and 2 a step below, but still enjoyable, along with quite a few of the others. Iron Man 2 definitely belongs in the bottom feeder pile. 3 was decent until they jumped the shark a little at the end with his mini arc reactor going poof at the end.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #50
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Yeah Iron Man 1, Winter Soldier and GotG are still the cream of the crop for Marvel movies for me. I would put Avengers 1 and 2 a step below, but still enjoyable, along with quite a few of the others. Iron Man 2 definitely belongs in the bottom feeder pile. 3 was decent until they jumped the shark a little at the end with his mini arc reactor going poof at the end.
I 100% agree. Iron Man 1, Winter Soldier and GotG are probably tied for my favourite MCU movie, followed by Incredible Hulk (which I liked a lot more than most), Avengers 2, Thor, Avengers. Then Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Captain America and Thor 2 are on the weaker end of the spectrum, still enjoyable though.

Ultron was amazing and the chemistry and action is what the MCU and Wheadon specializes at and what they've now mastered. Also when they used the darker tone it really worked and added stakes to the movie. They developed the characters further so it didn't just feel like an Iron Man featuring the Avengers movie. Hawkeye was the best Avenger. There was some pacing problems and it was too similar to the first one. Also a couple plot lines were rushed and a couple times it felt like they were pushing too hard to set up future movies when the plot didn't lend itself to it.

I'd give Age of Ultron a 7.8/10, I was hoping for something more like Winter Soldier but we got the first Avengers movie again
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #51
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

best character in the movie was Scarlet Witch. Well written and Olson played the character well.

The movie was just lacking .... something .... can't put my finger on it.

There was no suspense in it for me I guess. The pounding on the guys at the beginning seemed to take as much out of them as pounding on Ultron at the end. Meh.

The bad guys need to win a few to get me interested again.
RyZ
Old 05-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #52
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just got back and it ticked pretty much every box I was hoping for. There was never going to be the same awe factor as the first Avengers, but considering just how many characters they were dealing with in this movie it's amazing that it wasn't a total mess. Really liked seeing War Machine finally suit up for battle again, and Scarlett Witch was great

I'm interested to see where they take things with the new Avengers cast, but maybe I'm finally starting to get some superhero movie burnout because I'm far more pump for the new Star Wars than any of the next Marvel movies
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #53
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Marvel owes me 3$ 3d premium. I took my glasses off about 10 minutes in and didn't need them again. What a joke.

Other than that I really enjoyed it.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #54
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best part was what the Vision did to convince the team he was good.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #55
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 08-31-2015 at 01:03 AM.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #56
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say that the only lead in to AoU that might be necessary is Captain America: Winter Soldier. You could throw in Thor: The Dark World I suppose, but I would call that optional. Even more optional would be Guardians of the Galaxy.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #57
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
Don't include the X-Men or Spider-Man universe movies. I think it's separate.

Thanks!

An important distinction. I mean no one in this thread would have known this. Thanks for outlining it.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #58
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

2nd biggest North American movie opening of all time. #1 looks familiar.

Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #59
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I would say that the only lead in to AoU that might be necessary is Captain America: Winter Soldier. You could throw in Thor: The Dark World I suppose, but I would call that optional. Even more optional would be Guardians of the Galaxy.
I would think you'd want some background about Jarvis, hence Iron Man at least. Winter Soldier is totally necessary for the Shield angle. Obviously, the first Avengers movie, considering that's where the scepter comes from and so you have some concept of who all the characters are in MCU terms, I guess.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #60
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My takeaway from that image? The summer of 2014 sucked.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote