Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:
Default Age of Ultron **Spoilers**

Heading to see this tomorrow morning. So far the reviews have been a bit mixed, but I`m a Marvel junkie so I`m sure I`m going to love it.

Anyone else? I know a few people have seen it already...Thoughts?

Last edited by CMPunk; 05-01-2015 at 10:27 AM.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Think it will be the moment Marvel jumps the shark imo, it's at the point where too much money is involved and there are business execs making creative decisions. Iron man 3 was the beginning of the end. The original Marvel movies had that comic book campy feeling where they didn't take themselves too seriously and it made it bearable but now they turned it.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a bleak assessment... I liked Iron Man 3. It was, at least, a massively better movie than Iron Man 2.

I'd say this Avengers is worth seeing in IMAX, but it's not on par with the original. There are too many moving parts, too many characters they're trying to deal with all at once. It's the entire original Avengers, plus they have to make time for Hawkeye who was brainwashed last time, plus two new characters in the Maximoffs, plus Bettany's character.

The villain is a great concept but not terribly well executed - he just doesn't get enough time to develop and is always just doing things. The benefit of Loki in Avengers was he had an entire movie to be set up (also, he wasn't CGI). The other issue was he was a bit too wise-cracky, and combined with the lack of development time this just made him seem less significant as a threat.

Is this a spoiler thread? There's no spoiler tag in the title, so...
Spoiler!

All in all it's an entertaining flick and I'll watch it again. Had a bunch of clever lines I laughed out loud at. But it was too unwieldy to manage for Whedon this time around.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

going to see it tonight, pretty excited. I don't care if movies are getting too corporate or whatever. I love comic book stuff and this will be awesome.

A bad marvel movie is still better than most movies out there.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, by the way, there is NO end credit scene. There's one extra scene before the credits but nothing at the end so don't waste your time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Really Iron Man 3 better than 2? 3 was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. To each their own I guess, seems to me like the quality goes down with each movie.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that there were some people who just hated Iron Man 3 but I don't understand why. The overall consensus is it was a good movie, not the best Marvel movie by any stretch but not bad. In fact, for me, it's about on par with this one, though they have completely different flaws.

Iron Man 2 was a train wreck and everyone knew it including Mickey Rourke, RDJr and Jon Favreau... It suffered from serious micromanagement, and Favreau wasn't allowed to make the movie he wanted. I feel like Whedon had to deal with some of the same issues here (not perhaps to the same extent but having to "fit things in" for the sake of the greater arc) and this results in the movie feeling a bit overstuffed. He was able to keep most of the balls in the air though, even if sometimes a bit clumsily, so it doesn't go the route of Favreau's movie.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that there is a spoiler tag there I figure we're probably good...

My point is, just with the mind gem or stone or whatever we're calling it, Loki should probably have been able to own basically everyone. I guess the assumption is he didn't know what he had.

The other side of it is, was Thanos expecting that scepter back? Because otherwise it's sort of like saying, "I am trying to collect all of these infinity stones. I want you to go get the one on Earth. In order to help you, I gift you one of the infinity stones." Wtf? He needs that. Why give it away? Maybe he does expect it back, but that seems like pretty terrible judgment. You probably shouldn't give things to Loki and expect him to level with you.

PS - pretty sure the gauntlet was in Asgard. Not sure how Thanos got it, but I guess by the end of Thor 2 Loki is secretly running the show so maybe that's how.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Now that there is a spoiler tag there I figure we're probably good...

My point is, just with the mind gem or stone or whatever we're calling it, Loki should probably have been able to own basically everyone. I guess the assumption is he didn't know what he had.

The other side of it is, was Thanos expecting that scepter back? Because otherwise it's sort of like saying, "I am trying to collect all of these infinity stones. I want you to go get the one on Earth. In order to help you, I gift you one of the infinity stones." Wtf? He needs that. Why give it away? Maybe he does expect it back, but that seems like pretty terrible judgment. You probably shouldn't give things to Loki and expect him to level with you.

PS - pretty sure the gauntlet was in Asgard. Not sure how Thanos got it, but I guess by the end of Thor 2 Loki is secretly running the show so maybe that's how.
I fully expect that endgame wise, Thanos was going to get the Scepter back. He wasn't all that serious about conquoring earth, he just wanted the Tesseract, then he would have betrayed Loki and taken back the other stone.

Loki even with the Mind Stone wouldn't have been able to control everyone at once, it looks like you physically have to interact with the person that you want to bend. Without the power of the other stones, Loki would be able to build an army of his own, but he wouldn't have true destructive power.

I wonder, how soon after Loki delivered the Tesseract to Thanos would his army continue to support Loki?

I'm not sure how Thanos got it, I thought I'd seen the guantlet in the collector's museum in Thor 2, but it was in Odin's collection in Thor.

If he's got he Gauntlet what are the chances that he got the Tesseract?

They were both in the same place.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If he's got he Gauntlet what are the chances that he got the Tesseract?

They were both in the same place.
Good point.

For that matter, in Thor 2, the Asgardians take the Aether to the Collector for safe-keeping. Yet they're keeping the Tesseract? Why move one stone off-site if they can't protect it properly but keep the other? Trying to spread them out rather than having all eggs in one basket?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good point.

For that matter, in Thor 2, the Asgardians take the Aether to the Collector for safe-keeping. Yet they're keeping the Tesseract? Why move one stone off-site if they can't protect it properly but keep the other? Trying to spread them out rather than having all eggs in one basket?
Yes, they said as much in the movie, that they do not want to keep both infinity gems in one location in Asgard.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still wonder if the Aether is still with the collector, his museum was completely destroyed by the power stone.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
going to see it tonight, pretty excited. I don't care if movies are getting too corporate or whatever. I love comic book stuff and this will be awesome.

A bad marvel movie is still better than most movies out there.
well someone is brainwashed. marvel has you under their fat thumb, no matter what quality of product they pump out. audiences today make me sad...

though im seeing it tonight because I was invited out. I heard its 3 hours of CGI over load, which should be enjoyable for maybe a half hour to an hour, then all the awe and impressiveness of it will dissipate as it just looks like a giant video game cut scene. I'll go in with low expectations and hopefully find some pleasant surprises.

I'm more excited for Ex Machina which is getting a calgary release next friday, from the director of sunshine and 28 days later. looks way more promising. but it's hard to pass up on the big old comic book cash vacuum with all the hype around it even though the product has been largely mediocre outside of the winter soldier.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

No Spoilers:

I watched the movie this morning. Paul Bettany was great. James Spader was great. I'm bothered that they never took the opportunity to make theme music for each individual character, and then bring those out as each did their thing in the Avengers films. That's a major ball dropped for me and I wonder why I was constantly thinking about that during the film. Then again, they don't really have theme music for superheroes anymore.

I was not hurt by CGI overload in this film. It has incredibly diverse locations and the realism of shooting in Eastern Europe, South Korea, Africa (Wakanda looks more like New York though), etc. made the film look more realistic in a strange way.

My only beef is how clear Hawkeye and Black Widow don't make any sense in this team (Hawkeye even admits it in the funniest moment in the movie) as they are so easily hurt and a hindrance to a team full of super humans.

Quicksilver was alright. He didn't have the charisma of the Days of Future Past version but made up for it by being a total Russian cliche down to wearing track suits and Addidas. Product placement was blatant everywhere.

The change to the character origins made sense. There's no Henry Pim (Antman) or Reed Richards so Bruce Banner stands in as secondary scientist to Tony Stark. Ultron never looked like Ulton to me until the end when some of the minion bots had more of the classic look to them (trapezoidal eyes, red zig-zag mouth).

As far as the plot goes, I totally missed the resolution at the end and will have to re-watch because I have no idea what happened. They just glossed over it and that's the weak point to me.

One final thing, this is almost a G-Rated film in terms of violence. The Avengers really go into saturday morning cartoon overdrive and constantly save everybody when it's on film. The actual casualties from what happens in the movie (unseen) would probably be hundreds of thousands.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-01-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-01-2015 at 03:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
The other issue was he was a bit too wise-cracky, and combined with the lack of development time this just made him seem less significant as a threat.
This comes from part of his personality coming from Stark to be a foil to Stark. He even beats Stark to his own jokes before Stark can say them. They are also going for the slightly deranged Joker-like vibe. It made for a great villain because of the unstable psychology, especially at the end when humanity has to be explained to him.

I think it works great, especially if you can see this movie as Robert Downie Jr. vs James Spader. I kept getting flashbacks to their 80s movies.

This below image sums up Avengers 2:
Old 05-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #18
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it was quite good. It was less of a standalone movie than the first one, and had less of a "I can't believe they pulled this off!" feel than the first one (or, arguably, Thor and GotG) did. It crammed a ton of story into a pretty dense flick, handled some origin stuff quite well, and ticked a lot of boxes for a serialized universe (more character back story, more hints of things to come, tying up some things while introducing new threads to dangle, nods to the source material). I was really impressed how it juggled such a tremendous number of characters. And I liked how it set up the Avengers roster going forward.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 05-01-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #19
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post
well someone is brainwashed.
Says the guy named ScorchyScorch.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I think it was quite good. It was less of a standalone movie than the first one, and had less of a "I can't believe they pulled this off!" feel than the first one (or, arguably, Thor and GotG) did. It crammed a ton of story into a pretty dense flick, handled some origin stuff quite well, and ticked a lot of boxes for a serialized universe (more character back story, more hints of things to come, tying up some things while introducing new threads to dangle, nods to the source material). I was really impressed how it juggled such a tremendous number of characters. And I liked how it set up the Avengers roster going forward.
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: