Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2024, 09:41 AM   #821
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unsure.

Probably had it in February 2020 after a co-worker came back from Asia incredibly sick and tried to work before being told to stay home. About 90% of the office got sick after that.

Might have had it in November 2023. Sickness ran through the house and while we didn't test, we matched up a lot of the symptoms with Covid... but so do a lot of other illnesses, so... ???

I'm fairly confident but not entirely sure that either time was Covid.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:51 AM   #822
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

if I've had it it's been asymptomatic. The one time recently I was sick I got chills but it ended up being the early signs of shingles rather than being COVID.

FYI get your shingles vaccine when you can, shingles SUCKS.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 10:19 AM   #823
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
An estimated 20-40 per cent of covid infections are asymptomatic. So I wouldn’t be confident you’ve never had it just because you haven’t been sick.
I'm confident.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 01:32 PM   #824
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I mentioned in the thread earlier we got hit over the Christmas break too and inadvertently exposed some family members. Interestingly, all of us in our house got it, but none of the family that visited got it. What type of incubation period did you guys have? Ours was weird in that it was over 72 hours for everyone as opposed to 12-48 hours that it usually is.

In other news, I drive by the urgent care clinic in the south every day just after 8AM and each day there’s been a line up out the door of 15-20 people.
Felt like it was about 24 hours or so for everyone. My wife is mostly over it, but I'm still f'd up from it 3 days later. Rough morning today...
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:14 PM   #825
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I seem to have gotten the norovirus recently, as have about 10 other family members from a family new years gathering. Barely able to eat anything the past few days, constant diarrhea, violent puking the first day. Worst thing ever.
Is it possible that it was food poisoning related and not Norovirus? The two are pretty similar from what I understand.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:54 PM   #826
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I mentioned in the thread earlier we got hit over the Christmas break too and inadvertently exposed some family members. Interestingly, all of us in our house got it, but none of the family that visited got it. What type of incubation period did you guys have? Ours was weird in that it was over 72 hours for everyone as opposed to 12-48 hours that it usually is.

In other news, I drive by the urgent care clinic in the south every day just after 8AM and each day there’s been a line up out the door of 15-20 people.
At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I just got a new Doctor and she wanted to run some baseline tests so I booked in to the Urgent Care Clinic with my order of tests and it was like getting medical care in war-torn Somalia.

It was a complete zoo.

They were taking cell phone information so that people could leave and be called 15 minutes prior to actually being seen because the wait time was 3+ hours and the place was packed.

I had an appointment that I'd waited 2 months for and they were still almost 2 hours late.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:08 PM   #827
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven’t had it. Worked from home for 3+ years and lost my job last April. Tested a bunch of times when the rest of my family had it. Never a positive.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:04 PM   #828
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still going strong with never having tested positive. For the first couple of years I was checked pretty regularly with PCR tests as I was exposed frequently at work. Since last 2022 early 2023 I have only used the home kits and have always tested negative.

As for whether I just happen to have been asymptomatic and have had it, I don't know. But the rest of the family has also always been negative so who knows.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:33 PM   #829
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of mine who works at an elementary school in Burnaby said she learned that one of their students died of the flu over Christmas holidays, and another was hospitalized. The child (grade 5 I think she said) didn't have any known underlying health conditions.

A scary reminder that the flu can be really dangerous.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:55 PM   #830
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ugh, that’s so brutal to hear. Feel so bad for the families, friends, and community.

Our crew is limping through cold and flu season. Adults both got COVID in September, weird bug hit all of us starting in November that resulted in lingering coughs, and then stomach bug over Christmas that somehow seems to be triggering the respiratory bug we had earlier. Or maybe it’s a new respiratory bug? I dunno, but we’re all ready for full health again. I mentioned it before in this thread, but I think the bug in November was RSV and just has done a number on us. We are all vaxxed, boosted and flu vaxxed and thankfully are a healthy bunch outside of attending day home and kindergarten. The kids saw their doctor in November to rule out pneumonia or any other serious respiratory issues when they just couldn’t shake their cough initially.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:00 PM   #831
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
A friend of mine who works at an elementary school in Burnaby said she learned that one of their students died of the flu over Christmas holidays, and another was hospitalized. The child (grade 5 I think she said) didn't have any known underlying health conditions.

That’s awful. Just awful. The flu can be a real bastard.

My son got very sick with flu in February of 2020 (like the month before the pandemic hit). He was kind of coping with it for about a week and then suddenly deteriorated really quickly. It turned out he had a secondary staph infection in his trachea, and spent about a week in the PICU at Children’s on IV antibiotics (and fluids) and this machine that gave him more oxygen. After that he spent one more full week in a regular ward before he finally got to come home. He was 9 years old.

It was really scary for the first few days. Those ICU nurses (and the IV antibiotics of course) saved his life. I will always be grateful to them.

And I never underestimate the flu—it really is no joke.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:28 PM   #832
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need the 'Huberdeau Flu'...it'll never hit you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-07-2024, 09:33 PM   #833
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We need the 'Huberdeau Flu'...it'll never hit you.

Do you really have to carry that crap over to the OT forum?
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:30 PM   #834
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

A good reminder that no matter your personal preference for yourself, getting your flu shot can help little kids like that have a happier outcome.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 10:46 PM   #835
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Do you really have to carry that crap over to the OT forum?
I've gotten the 'Tanev Flu' and thus your objection has been blocked.

Old 01-08-2024, 07:38 AM   #836
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Damn, that sucks. I had a student whose sibling passed over the Christmas break a couple of years ago from flu-related complications. Really tough thing to come back to.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 08:05 AM   #837
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
A good reminder that no matter your personal preference for yourself, getting your flu shot can help little kids like that have a happier outcome.
Especially prior to really busy elements of the year where they're going to be around a lot of people.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 10:08 AM   #838
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I just got a new Doctor and she wanted to run some baseline tests so I booked in to the Urgent Care Clinic with my order of tests and it was like getting medical care in war-torn Somalia.

It was a complete zoo.

They were taking cell phone information so that people could leave and be called 15 minutes prior to actually being seen because the wait time was 3+ hours and the place was packed.

I had an appointment that I'd waited 2 months for and they were still almost 2 hours late.
Our daughter had a fever for a week, so we took her to one in Vancouver at around 10:00AM. We were told they were done taking appointments for the day and the only option was the ER. Luckily her fever began to ease that day, but I don't even want to think about would have happened if things had progressed into a real emergency.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:21 AM   #839
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Our daughter had a fever for a week, so we took her to one in Vancouver at around 10:00AM. We were told they were done taking appointments for the day and the only option was the ER. Luckily her fever began to ease that day, but I don't even want to think about would have happened if things had progressed into a real emergency.
Yeah well, I'm fighting a bit with my current new Doctor.

Her answer for everything is 'Go to the ER.'

I have, on many occasions, told her that the ER is the very last place on Earth I want to be unless I absolutely have no choice.

I dont want to be 'that guy' going to the ER for the sniffles.

"But they have all of the equipment to run all the tests!"

Yes. They do. But thats...for Emergencies! Which part of this isn't sinking in?

Anyways, I'm not ditching her because its nigh on impossible getting a family Doctor these days but I'm not hitting up the ER for every blood test or whatever either, thats insane.

So I get to become...'that troublesome patient.'

"How come you havent got those blood tests done yet?"

- Because it takes a long time to get an appointment.

"Just go to ER!"

- We've been over this. It isnt happening.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 10:35 AM   #840
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah well, I'm fighting a bit with my current new Doctor.

Her answer for everything is 'Go to the ER.'

I have, on many occasions, told her that the ER is the very last place on Earth I want to be unless I absolutely have no choice.

I dont want to be 'that guy' going to the ER for the sniffles.

"But they have all of the equipment to run all the tests!"

Yes. They do. But thats...for Emergencies! Which part of this isn't sinking in?

Anyways, I'm not ditching her because its nigh on impossible getting a family Doctor these days but I'm not hitting up the ER for every blood test or whatever either, thats insane.

So I get to become...'that troublesome patient.'

"How come you havent got those blood tests done yet?"

- Because it takes a long time to get an appointment.

"Just go to ER!"

- We've been over this. It isnt happening.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: