Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:
Default Wii U

I did not see a thread on this. What is the buzz for Wii U (will be released Nov. 18th)?

http://reviews.cnet.com/nintendo-wii-u/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_u

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My take is that a large section of the population got caught up in the Wii only to realize the "cheap" factor that got their foot in the door wasn't there after they bought controllers and accessories. For many of my friends that realization soured the experience and once the novelty wore off there was resentment.

The Wii also catered to the "new gamer" crowd such as parents and females who otherwise didn't play many games. Those people were great for buying the system at first, but gaming wasn't a core interest, so it didn't seem to last long for many.

For kids the Wii remains a great system. There are actually some fantastic games that came out in the past couple years. Despite my annoyance towards the system I'd probably pick one up if I had a kid just getting into gaming.

I feel the Wii U will be a failure as the price point is too high to win back those who felt they wasted money on the original system.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

It seems Wii is still the best console for younger kids and girls (dance and karaoke games). My boys are older now (9 and 11) and are all about combat games on XBox.

I might be interested in the Wii U as it will be compatible with all the old Wii games we have.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think having the screen on the controller is going to be a big hook. This feature will be great when applied to football, baseball, or even COD type games, it really opens a door for game developers to have some fun with.

That or it will just be a useless gimmck. lol

I like the Wii but my guys are 'too old' for the kiddie games, it's all 360 COD, modern warfare, and Halo in our house. They are 10 and 12.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I think having the screen on the controller is going to be a big hook. This feature will be great when applied to football, baseball, or even COD type games,
If any good ones are actually released. And they don't go the way of the wii biy having some cheesy version of Madden, NHL, etc. instead of the xbox/ps3 versions.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what it's worth, pre-orders for the system are mostly sold out across Canada and the US already. I think amazon.ca still has the smaller bundle available for now.

Will it be rare again this Christmas season as the original Wii?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Wii was able to capture lightning in a bottle and run with it. Before it came out, there was trepidation on how well it was going to perform. No one would have guessed it would take off like it did, especially not after the failure of the Game Cube system. Can Nintendo do it again? I feel this time around, there's an expectation for Nintendo to do well, and they aren't going to live up to expectations like they did with the Wii.

I honestly have no idea how well this system will do. I thought the PS Vita would be doing way better than what it's doing now, so I'm not good at predicting these things. Casual gamer tastes are pretty vapid. What they liked of the Wii could easily switch over to tablet gaming this time around. They might think rather than buy a WiiU, they can spend the money on an iPad or a Galaxy tablet instead.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got one coworker who's chomping at the bit for the release of the Wii U, personally I'm not very enthused about it.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
My take is that a large section of the population got caught up in the Wii only to realize the "cheap" factor that got their foot in the door wasn't there after they bought controllers and accessories. For many of my friends that realization soured the experience and once the novelty wore off there was resentment.

The Wii also catered to the "new gamer" crowd such as parents and females who otherwise didn't play many games. Those people were great for buying the system at first, but gaming wasn't a core interest, so it didn't seem to last long for many.

For kids the Wii remains a great system. There are actually some fantastic games that came out in the past couple years. Despite my annoyance towards the system I'd probably pick one up if I had a kid just getting into gaming.

I feel the Wii U will be a failure as the price point is too high to win back those who felt they wasted money on the original system.
I feel this is only partially true - the real reason that the system faded was that it was no longer getting any gaming support from Nintendo, much less third parties. Nintendo hasn't released a decent game on that system in over three years, with the exception of Skyward Sword. With no games, there is no reason to play it. I would still be playing it if there was anything more to play.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm in the "wait and see" group. I'll probably get one when it's cheaper, but would use it exclusively for first-party nintendo games. Nintendo consoles will always be a secondary console for me and any third party games will probably be bought on the xbox or xbox successor.

The 2nd screen is interesting though and I heard it works really well, not much lag.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
If any good ones are actually released. And they don't go the way of the wii biy having some cheesy version of Madden, NHL, etc. instead of the xbox/ps3 versions.
Black Ops 2 is coming out a week after every other console and will be the exact same game as every other system. Only difference of course being the screen on the controller which can be used to call in air strikes etc.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be outdated within a year. It's a good idea now, and the third party support is there, but when the next generation Sony and Microsoft hardware comes out the support will grind to a halt. Those consoles will be light years ahead of the Wii U (which is really just catching up to the PS3/360) and the games produced for those won't be able to run on Wii U. Then it will just be Mario, Metroid, and Zelda, which is honestly starting to wear a little thin.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no interest in this gaming device. I am eagerly awaiting the next generation of the Xbox and Playstation.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm lukewarm on it. I'm leaning towards not getting one until later down the road. Nintendo still makes fantastic first party games, but I agree with OOTC. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are getting a little long in the tooth. Once the next gen consoles come out from MS and Sony, the WiiU is going to look pretty dated. But hey, who knows. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer. If I see it in a store, I may just pick it up depending on how interested I am at that point.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I thought the PS Vita would be doing way better than what it's doing now, so I'm not good at predicting these things.
I'd certainly agree with you - I find the hardware pretty darn impressive. I was even more surprised there wasn't a blip from the android fans (homebrew, etc.) when the vita was hacked open recently.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm getting one for sure, basically the selling point for me is the backward compatibility. I like "old school" games, and don't need the latest and greatest gaming system, just need something that is Fun. The Wii was the perfect addition to our house, and even if the wiiu is a bust, it basically gives me a second system for my house that will be at least as good as the wii, with all the potential upside of a new system.

My friends with kids in the 4-6 age bracket are really looking forward to being able to swap games to controller only, and freeing up the TV at times...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I hear ya, I'm actually thinking ahead to when the xbox and ps have it one theirs.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Put me in the "I got too old and never have free time for video games group". I can get one in a few years when life is less hectic.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

For smaller kids buying a tablet makes so much more financial sense as the games are free to $5 as opposed to $60, granted you dont have the same quality of game but kids in the age group wii U is trageted at dont really care and once they are older you get an xbox, pc or ps3
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #20
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I'm getting one for sure, basically the selling point for me is the backward compatibility. I like "old school" games, and don't need the latest and greatest gaming system, just need something that is Fun.
So you don't need the latest and greatest gaming system, but are for sure buying the latest and greatest gaming system?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: