Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...kawhi-leonard/
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #902
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "no interest in playing in Toronto" angle is presumably long-term, and that's not much of a shock. Considering how much money he's ultimately cost himself by not signing the supermax with the Spurs, at this point not ending up in LA is the ultimate humiliation for him. But the notion he was ever going to sit out this season was simply insane, and not surprisingly most stories today are about "positive communication" between his camp and the Raptors.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #903
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kawhi needs to play well enough to make sure he gets his max. So the Raptors will at least get 1 year of a superstar, to try to get past the Celtics and Philly.
Long term, this works out in 3 possible ways:
1. Kawhi likes Toronto and signs long term
2. Kawhi leaves Toronto and the vacant max slot is used on another free agent (Butler, Thompson, etc.)
3. Kawhi leaves and this ushers in a rebuild, as most veteran contracts expire in 2 years. Bottom out then aim to rise as Boston drops off, see what happens in Philly, etc.

Players don't sign in Toronto as free agents, so this is the one way to get a true superstar and try to change what was not working in the playoffs. Also, if this helps the Raptors get to the NBA finals, then maybe free agents will consider Toronto?

It would have been good to see if new coach + no LeBron meant the old core could make it this time, but the risk is not getting a chance at this level of player again and losing value of assets for future trades.
This is a swing for the fences, and to be honest, if the Raptors still cannot win in this conference, a rebuild is needed. In the NBA, mediocrity is a trap that is hard to escape from
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #904
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is actually incredible by Presti. Houston fans probably not too happy to be adding Melo, not sure why D'Antoni would want him again.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1020045930429583365
Old 07-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #905
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Kawhi needs to play well enough to make sure he gets his max. So the Raptors will at least get 1 year of a superstar, to try to get past the Celtics and Philly.
Long term, this works out in 3 possible ways:
1. Kawhi likes Toronto and signs long term
2. Kawhi leaves Toronto and the vacant max slot is used on another free agent (Butler, Thompson, etc.)
3. Kawhi leaves and this ushers in a rebuild, as most veteran contracts expire in 2 years. Bottom out then aim to rise as Boston drops off, see what happens in Philly, etc.

Players don't sign in Toronto as free agents, so this is the one way to get a true superstar and try to change what was not working in the playoffs. Also, if this helps the Raptors get to the NBA finals, then maybe free agents will consider Toronto?

It would have been good to see if new coach + no LeBron meant the old core could make it this time, but the risk is not getting a chance at this level of player again and losing value of assets for future trades.
This is a swing for the fences, and to be honest, if the Raptors still cannot win in this conference, a rebuild is needed. In the NBA, mediocrity is a trap that is hard to escape from
Raptors milked it long enough with the good regular seasons leading to playoff money. Yeah the casual fan was still happy but a lot of us hardcore fans were fed up. Feeding the usual internal growth etc. garbage just wouldn't cut it anymore. The results too glaring and DD just way too much of a fake all star. High time MU put his own stamp on the team and went for it. You are very right in that treadmill was not good enough anymore / Go for it and then , if necessary burn it to the ground and rebuild.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #906
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

http://http://www.sandiegouniontribu...722-story.html

"Here’s what someone who knows Leonard as well as anybody told me privately: “He’s going to fall in love with Toronto – it’s going to happen. He’s not going to leave, I’m telling you.”

🤔

Last edited by pria(kin)16; 07-23-2018 at 07:16 PM.
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pria(kin)16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #907
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pria(kin)16 View Post
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...722-story.html

"Here’s what someone who knows Leonard as well as anybody told me privately: “He’s going to fall in love with Toronto – it’s going to happen. He’s not going to leave, I’m telling you.”

🤔
Fixed the link
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #908
Futzee
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I'm not usually much of a Raps fan until playoff time but this year I'm so pumped to see how it all unfolds. No idea if they will be way better or if Kawhi might still be a bit hurt or grumpy about TO but it's all fascinating either way. If they aren't dominating then it probably becomes a big trading drama at the deadline too - all so much more exciting than one more year of the same old great regular season team.
Futzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #909
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors sign Greg Monroe for 1 year, 2.2 mill
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #910
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blast from the past!!!

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #911
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Raptors sign Greg Monroe for 1 year, 2.2 mill
I like this signing as it gives them dependable bench big man scoring. They should be much better defensively on the perimeter this year so can get away with no real rim protector. But they will get offense from the big guys as Nurse believes in getting them involved. JV was way more active last year and I think his usage increases again this year. Monroe can also score and move the ball.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #912
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shot clock rule is interesting, but I worry it's just gonna make end of game situations even worse.

Quote:
The NBA's board of governors are expected to pass rule changes for the 2018-19 season that include resetting the shot clock after an offensive rebound to 14 seconds from 24, simplifying the clear-path foul rule and expanding the definition of the "hostile act" to more easily trigger instant replay, league sources told ESPN.

The NBA sent a memo to the league's general managers and coaches on Thursday to outline the unanimous recommendations of the league's competition committee to the board of governors.

The board of governors will vote on the three rules changes in a Sept. 20-21 meeting and need a two-thirds majority to pass the legislation.

The NBA believes that the resetting of the shot clock to 14 seconds after offensive rebounds will increase shot attempts, especially at the end of close games. The NBA studied FIBA's implementation of the rule in 2014, as well as its use in G League, WNBA and NBA summer league games.

Under the changes to the clear-path rule, a clear path to the basket would be in play in these three instances:

• "A personal foul is committed on any offensive player during his team's transition scoring opportunity."

• "When the foul occurs, the ball is ahead of the tip of the circle in the backcourt, no defensive player is ahead of the offensive player with the scoring opportunity and that offensive player is in control of the ball or a pass to him has been released."

• "The defensive foul deprives the offensive team of a transition scoring opportunity."
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ensive-rebound
Old 08-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #913
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Shot clock rule is interesting, but I worry it's just gonna make end of game situations even worse.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ensive-rebound
Eww I hate it, some things should not be touched and the shot clock is one of them. That’s a massive change
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #914
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ginobili retires. Obviously right into the HOF, I guess the only debate is whether he's the greatest international player ever (Dirk obviously the other guy to consider).
Old 09-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #915
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ummmmm.....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1041778064265539590
Old 09-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #916
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope he can find some winter gloves for the winters here in Toronto...
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #917
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glitch in his CPU perhaps?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1044236627185414145
Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #918
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly don't see how any Raptors fan can be upset about this deal...what was the alternative? Another decent year from a team that can't get it done? At least they are trying.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #919
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after Butler demands a trade and then a potential trade to Miami falls apart (when the Wolves probably over-ask on what were probably decent terms), Butler returns to Wolves practice after a couple weeks away from the team, and rips into everyone from coaches to other players to the GM. Took the third-stringers, challenged the starters, and beat them.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire them all , i'm better than ibaka , kawhi so serious? , lebronto , time to go nuclear