Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #221
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't take as a conditioning thing when Sutter talks about pace. It's more about making quick plays with and without the puck, sometimes thats a smart short pass, and sometimes its a long hard pass. The thing is to decide quick, and execute quick.

No question that requires more skating etc, but I get the feeling he's talking about 'mental' pace mostly. And its evident these last few games, they're playing with a lot more pace.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #222
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I don't take as a conditioning thing when Sutter talks about pace. It's more about making quick plays with and without the puck, sometimes thats a smart short pass, and sometimes its a long hard pass. The thing is to decide quick, and execute quick.

No question that requires more skating etc, but I get the feeling he's talking about 'mental' pace mostly. And its evident these last few games, they're playing with a lot more pace.
They did seem to hold the puck way too long then seem surprised when they were checked or had their sticks lifted under Ward.

Part of it feels like Ward was coaching the guy to hold the puck for the perfect play. I think with Sutter it's the same but maybe the players feel like they have more agency to change the plan when things aren't working.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #223
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it was just Ward. This team has had a tendency to play on their heels, off and on, over the last few years.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #224
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah I think they are one in the same. Thats why there is the "practice at game pace" mantra too. Every team from peewee on up should have this mentality, but it requires effort all the time. And when you don't do it, you're not able to match the pace, particularly late in a game, and thats when slow mental mistakes happen.

Either way, would be cool to see them roar to the playoffs. Id rather see that then having them sloth into it after clinching like we've seen since 2006.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #225
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I don't think it was just Ward. This team has had a tendency to play on their heels, off and on, over the last few years.
Basically this core has had the same pattern of rolling when the bounces go their way and rising to the occasion enough in the dog days of the season when all teams are going through the motions, only to wilt under adversity or when the intensity ramps up.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #226
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
It’s not whether Ward was the cause.

He wasn’t the answer
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #227
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
While these wins are fun, they're also the exact same wins that keep this team in the mediocrity they've been buried in for three decades.

I'll celebrate the wins when they come, but I really hope they don't get many more. If we were to pick a calling card for this team over this core's reign, it'd be that they like to tease us with hints that they could be good while never actually being good...so I guess I can't complain about them doing what they always do, but that math is not good and it's frustrating to see them play some of their best hockey of the year in what is an almost entirely meaningless stretch of games.
Why not? Is it because you want a good draft position? In a normal year how much volatility is there in the first round prospects from like January to April?
Not using Kylington as some kind of negative example because I really like him but look at these projections:
Quote:
Other Rankings:
THW War Room Rankings (January): 6

Future Considerations: 12

HockeyProspect.com (February): 13

Last Word On Sports (February): 7

Craig Button (March): 29

CS Final Rankings for International skaters (January): 1
https://thehockeywriters.com/oliver-...spect-profile/

Draft position be damned this year!
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #228
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
They did seem to hold the puck way too long then seem surprised when they were checked or had their sticks lifted under Ward.

Part of it feels like Ward was coaching the guy to hold the puck for the perfect play. I think with Sutter it's the same but maybe the players feel like they have more agency to change the plan when things aren't working.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I dont think they are over it yet. They still are slow at making a transition pass in their own zone and even in getting to those pucks. A better team than Montreal would have made them pay. I think Sutter was getting at that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #229
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
You don't get to be a Habs reporter by telling the truth.

See: Iginla Hart Trophy voting "loss".
Mtl reporting is a joke

This, I'm still pissed about it. That idiot, he didn't even put Iginla on his ballot. If he had, even on the tenth place, Iginla would've won it.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #230
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
It’s not whether Ward was the cause.

He wasn’t the answer
This is the definitive conclusion to the Ward discussion and is deserving of being the last word.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #231
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed 100%.

Slow decision making is what plagued them much of the season. Not the game plan or plays they were meaning to execute, and that's the point Sutter was making. We were so often forced to play on the perimeter because the speed of execution was slower than the other teams ability to react/respond.

Thats what was meant by "style not system" I believe.

Seeing Gaudreau break in alone with a quick breakup and sprint up the ice, or Josh Leivo creating a loose puck in front of the crease and immediately flipping the puck upstairs to take advantage are the split second decisions we have been missing.

Hopefully Tkachuk is the next guy to bring some of that into his game. But he is shooting more which is a start.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-15-2021 at 02:30 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:31 AM   #232
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...s=3&final=true
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap134259.html

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 04-20-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote