Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #481
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I feel like there was so much potential that was just pissed away
Preaching to the choir. Couldnt agree more.

I am really disappointed with 'Man in the High Castle.'

There were such good bones there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #482
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
We finished Man in the High Castle. Really enjoyed the show, though were...

Spoiler!
If they had run a contest for people to come up with the worst ending they could to the show, no entries would have topped that final episode.

Great show for 3.8 seasons. And was still worth watching.

But man, that ending was bad.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #483
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That interesting, my impression with Man in the High Castle was, Strong first +/-7 episodes, not really worth it to watching the whole series that just drags and drags, to get to the ok ending.

Spoiler!
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #484
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Has anyone started watching The Stand? The trailers I've seen make it look absolutely horrible but I really liked the book in my younger days so I'm sure I'll give it a go in the near future.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #485
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Has anyone started watching The Stand? The trailers I've seen make it look absolutely horrible but I really liked the book in my younger days so I'm sure I'll give it a go in the near future.
I’m in the same boat. I actually re-read the book last year when covid started. I’ll probably give the show a shot, but it honestly doesn’t look too promising.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #486
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I watched the first episode and none of the characters really matched how I imagined them after reading the book. The acting was also pretty bad, especially the guy who plays Harold.

I’m also not a fan of how the story skips around. I imagine it would be confusing for people not familiar with the book.

Maybe it gets better but I don’t think I’ll be giving it a second chance any time soon.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #487
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is "Don't Fear the Reaper" part of the soundtrack? That's going to decide if I attempt to watch it.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #488
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Ok, so I finished the 10 episodes of The Stand and my review is similar to my ZSJL review - "I didn't hate it." In fact, once you get a few episodes in, it is somewhat entertaining. It loses momentum towards the end but generally speaking, as someone that enjoyed the book long ago, I'm glad I watched it.

The casting was pretty good. I didn't love James Marsden as Stu and I usually can't stand Whoopi Goldberg but she did a passable job in the role of Mother Abigail. The rest of the cast was solid, I thought.

I think if you liked the book then you'll probably enjoy this series.

Oh, and of course "Don't Fear the Reaper" is in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #489
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
IMO it was very.....meh.

Acting was good and the cinematography was well done.

But it was painfully slow to develop and too much tertiary stuff going on in the first couple episodes.

Basically a 9 hour movie that could have been done in 6 or 7.

Im a big King fan but his stuff so often has trouble translating to the big screen.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #490
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I forgot to mention that Trash Can Man is played by Justice League's Flash.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #491
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
IMO it was very.....meh.

Acting was good and the cinematography was well done.

But it was painfully slow to develop and too much tertiary stuff going on in the first couple episodes.

Basically a 9 hour movie that could have been done in 6 or 7.

Im a big King fan but his stuff so often has trouble translating to the big screen.
I read the book for the first time and then binged the series right away.

I felt the opposite as you. To me it felt really rushed and could have easily been a couple seasons long to give all the characters a bit more depth and have you care about them more.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #492
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the film adaptations of the Stand because it's actually one of King's weaker novels. I realize it's one of his more famous ones, but for me, as a life long Stephen King fan, it's one of the few that I really didn't enjoy.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #493
WCan_Kid
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I read the book for the first time and then binged the series right away.

I felt the opposite as you. To me it felt really rushed and could have easily been a couple seasons long to give all the characters a bit more depth and have you care about them more.
I was hoping that they'd consider the success of GoT's style with this version actually taking time to flesh out the backstories. Totally agree, another adaptation that missed the mark by rushing to the final chapter.
WCan_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #494
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think the film adaptations of the Stand because it's actually one of King's weaker novels. I realize it's one of his more famous ones, but for me, as a life long Stephen King fan, it's one of the few that I really didn't enjoy.
Wow, I am the complete opposite of you.

I find King to be an amazing world builder. And his ideas are so engaging.

He seriously needs an editor who can tell him when it's time to end a story.

The first half of IT was amazing, enthralling, terrifying (yes I had a tough time sleeping sometimes as I was reading before bed). The last half was utter garbage.

The Stand was one of his only works that I found engaging throughout. If a bit long at the end. But at least it didn't go from engaging in 600 pages to ridiculous for 600 pages.

It honestly feels like two authors are writing. One has created these engaging stories and characters and then someone comes in for the second half or finales of the works and just Rian Johnson/M. Night's it.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #495
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with a lot of that actually, but The Stand never resonated with me. Perhaps I found the religious themes too much for my liking.
IT is my favorite King novel overall but what hooked me overall was when I realized all his books were about The Dark Tower. That was the game changer because indeed I realized all of it was one big connected universe.

How do you feel about the ending of The Dark Tower? I know a lot of fans hated it but i thought it was perfect.

Perhaps we need a King thread.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #496
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know its been out for a while but I just watched The Terror on Amazon Prime. Man that was awesome. Highly recommend as I think it captures what it must have 'felt' like for those doomed men aboard the two ships.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #497
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I agree with a lot of that actually, but The Stand never resonated with me. Perhaps I found the religious themes too much for my liking.
IT is my favorite King novel overall but what hooked me overall was when I realized all his books were about The Dark Tower. That was the game changer because indeed I realized all of it was one big connected universe.

How do you feel about the ending of The Dark Tower? I know a lot of fans hated it but i thought it was perfect.

Perhaps we need a King thread.
A King thread might not be a bad idea, considering Eye of the Dragon is coming as well as who knows what else. I would also note that the Dark Tower movie was a colossal fail. If any series of books needed the GOT treatment of long form storytelling, it's the Dark Tower. That film ended up as a 90s style cheesefest. Great cast though.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:48 PM   #498
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I know its been out for a while but I just watched The Terror on Amazon Prime. Man that was awesome. Highly recommend as I think it captures what it must have 'felt' like for those doomed men aboard the two ships.
It was fantastic. Everything you said plus some great performances.

Season 2, with an entirely different story and cast, was quite a letdown for me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #499
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I know it is still in production but a series I am looking forward to with Christ Pratt is the Terminal List. Its based on the novel by Jack Carr. Really got into Jack's books through the pandemic. I'm excited to see Chris bring his book to life in a 8 part series.

It will have a Tom Clancy vibe, if you are into that sort of thing.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:26 PM   #500
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

OK, Episode 7 of Invincible is a keeper.

I'd define The Boys as, pessimistic superpower splat-stick realism.
This is a caricature that, but for all of the realism they loose in caricaturing the concept, they sure make up for it in pessimism and splat-stick. Shockingly violent in a good way, twisted but believable characters, the only real heroes are the innocent and uninitiated.

It's a fun show.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post: