Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #1081
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Without full public confidence in attending sporting events, that number is probably 13-17k at most and that's one of Canada's best markets. That is death in this league.
This is going to be the issue. It's going to be a lot of 1/3 full stadiums. Will that be enough for the CFL to break even when combined with TV revenues?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #1082
sfpipes
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My initial excitement at the return to play date has died down and now I'm looking at the reality of it all. The last two posts are bang on. It's great to have a date and a plan, but I'm really curious what the league is hoping/needing to get as far as attendance this year. I think 1/3 full is probably a good guess for best case scenario coming out of Covid. Maybe the Riders and Bombers can drive that up a bit.

That said, they don't even seem confident about east teams hosting games to begin with. So that's 4 markets with potentially no attendance right off the bat. The west teams aren't magically doubling attendance to make that up. Well, they may be able to make up the Toronto attendance.
sfpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sfpipes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #1083
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the current COVID infection rates it's hard to imagine stadiums being open in three months. I just don't see things settling down until the fall at the earliest as it's becoming evident that all the estimates of things being able to open keep getting pushed back as the pandemic keeps dragging out.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:43 AM   #1084
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
With the current COVID infection rates it's hard to imagine stadiums being open in three months. I just don't see things settling down until the fall at the earliest as it's becoming evident that all the estimates of things being able to open keep getting pushed back as the pandemic keeps dragging out.
I think I am a bit more optimistic than you on this, as by the end of June, all 16+ will get one jab. By the end of July, 25-35% will be fully vaccinated. I can see there being significant people in the seats allowed in August, or even before.
Now the question is if people are going to be comfortable in that setting, but that also is evolving.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #1085
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
I think I am a bit more optimistic than you on this, as by the end of June, all 16+ will get one jab. By the end of July, 25-35% will be fully vaccinated. I can see there being significant people in the seats allowed in August, or even before.
Now the question is if people are going to be comfortable in that setting, but that also is evolving.
I think if vaccine targets are hit and numbers have dropped, it'll be much easier to get people out to McMahon on a nice late summer day. Probably masked and at less than full capacity, but I can live with that.

First pro sports event in the City since March 2020? Yeah, I think the demand will be there.

EDIT: Hard to predict in Ontario and BC though.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #1086
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Danny Austin
@DannyAustin_9
·
1h
Asked John Hufnagel if the Stampeders, as an organization, remained financially stable.
His response:

"Very stable."
Old 04-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #1087
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I think if vaccine targets are hit and numbers have dropped, it'll be much easier to get people out to McMahon on a nice late summer day. Probably masked and at less than full capacity, but I can live with that.

First pro sports event in the City since March 2020? Yeah, I think the demand will be there.

I mean the Stamps had 25-26k for many games in the last two seasons. I don't mean this as a shot at the fans, teams or league, but where would a reduced capacity even affect how many willing fans could come out?

At McMahon they're drawing 26k of 36k seats. Edmonton gets like 28-31k in a 56k stadium. Lions get like 18k in a 60k stadium. Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Hamilton will be affected by capacity limits for sure.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #1088
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Danny Austin
@DannyAustin_9
·
1h
Asked John Hufnagel if the Stampeders, as an organization, remained financially stable.
His response:

"Very stable."
Sure, but they're in the Flames organization with billionaire ownership. Pretty much every other team is a completely different story.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #1089
jayswin

Exp:

If there is one thing that comes from this that would be very smart by the teams with 10-30k empty seats per game - Have a blitz of cheaper tickets upon relaunch. Make it exciting and affordable at a time when people have been cooped up and are ready to burst out and watch anything with others to experience regular life again.

You could attract a whole bunch of new fans with "come watch a stamps game for $10 in the upper sections!!!". This could be an amazing opportunity amidst darkness to capture new fans.

But I know the Flames. If anything they'll do the exact opposite and try to raise prices to make up losses and lose even more fans. "You don't understand business - it makes more sense to leave those seats empty at $35 then have them half full at $10"

Last edited by jayswin; 04-22-2021 at 04:04 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #1090
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:

I will be there for every game. Not only is there pent up demand, this could be your last year to enjoy the CFL as it was (is) before getting ruined by Private Equity and the XFL. Heck I want to go to Hamilton to enjoy the last Grey Cup in the CFL era.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #1091
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i personally wont go sit outside on a nice summer day with a mask on, just my opinion. I have no interest in this scenario.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #1092
jayswin

Exp:

^^^^^^

That would not even be close to a deal breaker for me. It would be statistic based. Where are we at with vaccinations? What are our infection rates? Trending up, trending down? Do I have a vaccine? (I likely will have one this week)

If I was satisfied with those questions and they said wear a mask except when you're eating or drinking I'd be at the ****ing home opener with a mask on. I'm so ****ing tired of sitting around with nothing to do, I'd be grinning ear to ear under a mask!
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #1093
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm itching to be able to sit outside with a beer and watch the Stamps shame the Edmonton Football club. If I have to wear a mask I'll get a sweet mask tan. It's been tough for everyone the last year and a bit. Take the little wins and enjoy.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 08:58 PM   #1094
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Sure, but they're in the Flames organization with billionaire ownership. Pretty much every other team is a completely different story.
Well don’t forget Flames are moving to Des Moines with a sweetheart arena deal so not looking good for the Stamps either.

In seriousness I would hope these other teams don’t have any debt to service and their expenses are minimal at the moment. I’d hate to see the CFL disappear, just need to keep expenses in line with revenues.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #1095
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So hilarious and the saltiness.....it oozes

https://twitter.com/user/status/1385719148773142528
Old 04-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #1096
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny thing is he had to half-ass his joke since he couldn't include BC on the list...
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #1097
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So hilarious and the saltiness.....it oozes

https://twitter.com/user/status/1385719148773142528
It's almost like he forgot the Eskimos finished 8-10 and played their playoffs in the Eastern Conference on the road.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #1098
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's almost like he forgot the Eskimos finished 8-10 and played their playoffs in the Eastern Conference on the road.
He doesn't have a problem with the GC because he gets VIp treatment there. As he has been given the privledge to ask the tired 1980s college humor fringe question about sex in the coaches news conference leading up to the big game like a trained seal and to get some guffaws as his ego stroke.

He has a problem with the WF, whenever it is because he doesn't get the same treatment, has to rent a car in his own, sit in a cold press box. The omission of Vancouver and Calgary is that of a bitter petty man. As he is a curling fan, it has to kill him that Calgary has pulled off the bubble curling thing, if it was Edmonton or anywhere else he'd be writing article after article about the great people and city pulling it off.

As for Stamps, hope they put a proper season together. Run with things as they come. It's pretty clear the CFL leadership is impotentz so.clubs do what they have to. I will go to a few games for sure instead of belly aching and pontificating about what ifs for the success of the season or future of the league.

Last edited by browna; 04-24-2021 at 01:52 PM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:37 PM   #1099
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

No discussion of the CFL Draft?

I thought it was quite strategic to grab OSU teammates Amen and Chuba. If either of those guys signs it’s probably a successful draft. But if both eventually sign that would be a hone run.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #1100
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No discussion of the CFL Draft?

I thought it was quite strategic to grab OSU teammates Amen and Chuba. If either of those guys signs it’s probably a successful draft. But if both eventually sign that would be a hone run.
That's the gamble a team like the stamps can take, since they are so good at recruiting outside the draft. Chuba in particular would be a ratio breaker, though he is more likely to stay down south IMO
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote