Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #41
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Our airports are a disaster and somehow the Trudeau government and their supporters think they can just say, “but it’s bad in other places too!”

Is that really a good enough answer for Canadians?

It shouldn’t be.

The truth of the matter is that our delays have been going on since the end of March. Airports like Charles de Gaulle in Paris are experiencing problems now due to a strike.

On Thursday, Air Canada was the most delayed airline in the world with 74% of flights not leaving or arriving on time, according to Flight Aware. WestJet was the third most delayed airline globally with 59% of flights delayed.

Is this due to problems globally or here at home?

You know the answer, but let me give you some more statistics. Canada had three airports in the list of the 20 most delayed airports in the world for departing flights on Thursday – Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa. We had five of the top 20 most delayed airports for arriving flights because Vancouver and Calgary made the list along with the other three.

The Trudeau government just extended a number of COVID travel measures until Sept. 30, including mandatory use of the ArriveCan app. According to customs officers, the app has increased the time it takes to process passengers by 400%.
https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...-travel-delays

Discuss.

Don't forget to make excuses for the Trudeau's government incompetence. I'm sure the usual suspects will chime in.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 08:00 AM   #42
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
List of routes impacted by Air Canada's frequency cuts: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...justments.html
So international is still good? I assume prioritizing the more expensive routes makes sense I guess.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:03 AM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems to me like airlines should be very concerned at this point about class actions.

In any event, is the ultimate way this shakes out that there are going to be far fewer flights at far higher prices? It already seems way harder to get my normal flight out to BC than it was a few months ago. I guess I'll see how it goes on Tuesday, I'm flying to YVR and then back a week later. It's an 11pm flight so it would really suck if it got delayed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:06 AM   #44
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Who knew that if you gutted an industry and then placed restrictive policies on how they can operate that everything would turn into a giant mess.

Governments gonna government, and the Liberals are really good at governmenting.

Good thing we all knew flying on an airplane was actually a BIG risk as far as COVID is concerned. Oh wait....
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:09 AM   #45
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing Crisis in Canadian air travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...-travel-delays

Discuss.

Don't forget to make excuses for the Trudeau's government incompetence. I'm sure the usual suspects will chime in.

How does the ArriveCAN app come into play for domestic flights?

How does ArriveCAN or anything COVID related come into play when people cannot rebook flights?

Last edited by calculoso; 07-02-2022 at 08:11 AM.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #46
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain to me why its a bad idea for government to simple seize Air Canada and make it a crown corp? Every tax payer can chip in an additional 100 dollars a year and in exchange we can limit a one way route within Canada to 100 dollars. The airlines have no good faith left from me after years of raping us
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
How does the ArriveCAN app come into play for domestic flights?

How does ArriveCAN or anything COVID related come into play when people cannot rebook flights?
It doesn’t. All that BS azure posted has been debunked already.

The airlines accepted billions in bailouts and then fired all their staff anyways. Now we have an staffing crisis. Not to mention the staffing crisis at the airports themselves.

It has nothing to do with vaccine restrictions.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Can someone explain to me why its a bad idea for government to simple seize Air Canada and make it a crown corp? Every tax payer can chip in an additional 100 dollars a year and in exchange we can limit a one way route within Canada to 100 dollars. The airlines have no good faith left from me after years of raping us
Is this a serious post? So the government seizes a private corporation, which would be catastrophic in it's own right. Then everyone in Canada pays for this "deal" even if they never fly, then you setup a fair structure that loses massive amounts of money on every passenger. How does this play out? Tax payers just keep forking over money so we can have "cheap" flights for those who want to fly?

Do you have any understanding of how reality works?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 08:26 AM   #49
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It doesn’t. All that BS azure posted has been debunked already.
And yet he continues to post the BS, so I was asking for his own explanation

I totally agree with you. It is company staffing (or lack thereof)
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #50
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is this a serious post? So the government seizes a private corporation, which would be catastrophic in it's own right. Then everyone in Canada pays for this "deal" even if they never fly, then you setup a fair structure that loses massive amounts of money on every passenger. How does this play out? Tax payers just keep forking over money so we can have "cheap" flights for those who want to fly?

Do you have any understanding of how reality works?
as opposed to us spending billions on these occasional bail outs? and they just use the money for stock buy backs to enrich a small elite circle of ultra wealthy share holders?

god forbid we use the money to help regular people
Old 07-02-2022, 08:38 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
as opposed to us spending billions on these occasional bail outs? and they just use the money for stock buy backs to enrich a small elite circle of ultra wealthy share holders?

god forbid we use the money to help regular people
You can argue for not bailing them out, but your suggestion is ridiculous.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:39 AM   #52
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can argue for not bailing them out, but your suggestion is ridiculous.
state run airlines is not a ridiculous idea. and your over the top pearl clutching of my suggestion is kind of amusing to watch. someone think of the share holders!
Old 07-02-2022, 08:43 AM   #53
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The airport is definitely a mess, and I believe the Trudeau government needs to be scrutinized for it, but damn, in every political thread, Azure seems to bash the Liberal government any chance they get. “The usual suspects will come in”. Talk about partisan. It’s quite tiresome to read.
TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 08:44 AM   #54
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
state run airlines is not a ridiculous idea. and your over the top pearl clutching of my suggestion is kind of amusing to watch. someone think of the share holders!
Dafuq are you stalking about? My pearl clutching" is your suggestion of throwing tax payer dollars(mine) at a government seized airline so everyone can fly for $100? That's probably ~$200 short of an average flight. Which means we'd all be paying huge amounts of money to subsidize flying. You don't see how stupid that is?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 08:46 AM   #55
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dafuq are you stalking about? My pearl clutching" is your suggestion of throwing tax payer dollars(mine) at a government seized airline so everyone can fly for $100? That's probably ~$200 short of an average flight. Which means we'd all be paying huge amounts of money to subsidize flying. You don't see how stupid that is?
if you want to argue about the specifics of flight costs sure we can engage in that, maybe max it at 200 or for certain long haul flights add a fuel surcharge. the idea is that instead of billions in bail outs we re-direct that money, and, as a society we agree that air travel is necessary and share the burden. like health care. i had no idea you loved air canada so much as a private corp. maybe you should update your sig?
Old 07-02-2022, 08:52 AM   #56
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
if you want to argue about the specifics of flight costs sure we can engage in that, maybe max it at 200 or for certain long haul flights add a fuel surcharge. the idea is that instead of billions in bail outs we re-direct that money, and, as a society we agree that air travel is necessary and share the burden. like health care. i had no idea you loved air canada so much as a private corp. maybe you should update your sig?
I have no love for Air Canada, I do have love for my tax dollars, and your idea is stupid. It's also stupid to a seize a private corporation, unless you like the looks of Venezuela.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 09:00 AM   #57
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no love for Air Canada, I do have love for my tax dollars, and your idea is stupid. It's also stupid to a seize a private corporation, unless you like the looks of Venezuela.
calm down dr peterson. fact is we already have venezuela for their losses, but when it comes to their profits and our rights as passengers, as indicated by your own signature, we have singapore. why would you be so comfortable with them socializing their losses because they're essential, and not willing to even consider going one step further and just saying, ok, ya, you're essential and now a crown corp?
Old 07-02-2022, 09:04 AM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
The airport is definitely a mess, and I believe the Trudeau government needs to be scrutinized for it, but damn, in every political thread, Azure seems to bash the Liberal government any chance they get. “The usual suspects will come in”. Talk about partisan. It’s quite tiresome to read.
They just do it to pre-empt and attempt to de-legitimise any criticisms of their position before they happen, which is clever, since they usually post easily discredited nonsense.

Making it out like it’s always you vs. everyone is easier from an ego perspective than having to deal with the constant drain of holding poorly formed opinions intelligent (and even non-intelligent, like me!) people are naturally going to disagree with.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:06 AM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
calm down dr peterson. fact is we already have venezuela for their losses, but when it comes to their profits and our rights as passengers, as indicated by your own signature, we have singapore. why would you be so comfortable with them socializing their losses because they're essential, and not willing to even consider going one step further and just saying, ok, ya, you're essential and now a crown corp?
You sure know how to type nonsense. Dr Peterson? The amonut of characterizations you've made of me in the last hour is astounding. But that makes nemeses for someone who looks at Venezuela and thinks "ya, that's the ticket". Why do you think I'm comfortable "socializing the loses"? Where did I say that? I'm against governments seizes corporations because why the #### would you keep your corporation in Canada if the threat of government taking it exists? It would be a ridiculous precedent. It's a stupid idea.

And your idea to subsidize air travel with tax dollars is also stupid. There is nothing "essential" about air travel. Give me dental and a drug plan before this stupidity.

This is a whole lot of stupid for a Saturday morning, I'm out.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:15 AM   #60
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Facts aren’t really important to lots of people, but billions in aid to “airlines”?

Air Canada got 5.4 billion in loans, if that is what you’re talking about. Westjet got $0.00 of any type of airline specific aid.

The government did almost nothing compared to most other countries in the world for the “airlines”.

For everything else people should read cmyden’s excellent and well balanced post on why the situation is what it is.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post: