Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #601
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, I know many NDP volunteers who believe that the party should have made shorter prop up deals to guarantee more power. I wouldn't say they're unhappy with Jagmeet necessarily, but I agree with CC's feeling that there is discomfort over the future direction of the party.

My larger point remains; this is not a 3 party race. It's still a 2 party race, which is why it continues to baffle that the cons prefer to pander to their fringe than fight for the middle to win.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:37 PM   #602
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1544796582738100230

As they say . . . . the call is coming from in your house.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #603
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Lol, by what metrics? You realize that NDP's goal isn't to form government, right? Other than the Layton years, which were more a byproduct of the collapse of the LPC, the NDP's numbers are right in line with where they've been historically, especially the popular vote.

You keep pushing this narrative and there's zero truth behind it. He's still incredibly popular within the party and has been successful at leveraging the seats he has to get important party platforms passed. Why would they want him out?
Hasn't NDP funding/donations taken a pretty significant hit since Singh became leader? I know they are in pretty terrible shape financially and I wonder if that has any direct correlation to Singh?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:01 AM   #604
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I dont really see any mobility for the NDP one way or the other. I would think the Party and its supporters would be thrilled with where the NDP is right now.

The absolute worst thing that could happen to the NDP would be a Liberal Majority, but so long as they're a minority and the NDP continue to get to play 'Kingmaker' I imagine they're as happy as they're going to get.
You're thinking way more logically than a party whose "greatest result ever" was a conservative majority.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:10 AM   #605
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found on Twitter in response to the Boris Johnson news:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1544733935250288642

Damnit Trudeau!
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 06:15 AM   #606
DevilsAdvocate
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1544796582738100230

As they say . . . . the call is coming from in your house.
Because there is absolutely 0.0% chance that the CPC President would lie. Even if that is the case, Brown has thousands of volunteers working on his campaign. He claimed on CBC tonight that CPC never gave him details of the allegation and no name of the volunteer in question. From my understanding of the allegation is that a company was paying volunteers on company time to "volunteer" for Patrick Brown. But the company name and the employee details have not been made public.... even, supposedly, to the Brown campaign.

Calgarygeologist: I have seen that posted here 100 times, but CP is an echo chamber. When Jagmeet became leader, there were financial issues because he refused to go to $100 a plate fundraisers. But I've not seen anything recent saying they are in financial trouble. So I'd love to see some article or documentation as to the NDP's current financial situation.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:54 AM   #607
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

Calgarygeologist: I have seen that posted here 100 times, but CP is an echo chamber. When Jagmeet became leader, there were financial issues because he refused to go to $100 a plate fundraisers. But I've not seen anything recent saying they are in financial trouble. So I'd love to see some article or documentation as to the NDP's current financial situation.
I'd also doubt they were ever fundraising monsters in most other years.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:15 AM   #608
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

There are countless articles over the last 1.5 years or so that talk about the weak financial position they are in. They were in serious debt as result of election spending which they partially covered by mortgaging their headquarters in Ottawa. Here are two articles from 2019, because obviously the Covid era fundraising was impacted by financial instability: https://globalnews.ca/news/5866474/n...l-return-2018/
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ndp-...he=iygszduyapv

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 07-07-2022 at 07:21 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #609
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.nationalobserver.com/202...-ndp-just-done

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...-of-money.html

They were broke...before going all in and spending 24 million last election.

Their financial woes isn't exactly a secret and they have spoken about it themselves on several occasions.

Quote:
She said the increase is a result of improved fundraising after donations plummeted from the $18.6 million in 2015 to around $5.2 million in 2018. The party raised more than $8 million in 2019, around $6 million through the pandemic in 2020 and $3.2 million in the first half of 2021, according to returns filed with Elections Canada.
Simple math, they are broke as #### and are in massive debt.

Last edited by Firebot; 07-07-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #610
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lame-duck Premier Jason Kenney announces that all other Provinces are seeking intervenor status in Alberta's Supreme Court challenge of Trudeau's Bill C-69 Federal Impact Assessment Act.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...847CC84CDD2C1D
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #611
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some bold statements from Charest in the Conservative leadership race, promising an "Alberta Accord" and to revise equalization to make it more fair for Alberta. Also said:

“Premier (Francois) Legault has been saying he wants to get Quebec off equalization. Well, you know what? We’ll be helping.”

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...deal-in-canada

With Brown out it is basically Charest vs the social conservatives.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #612
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if the last couple of races have told us anything it's RIP Charest... I mean Erin O'Toole wasn't actually a social conservative but he ran as one during the leadership race then took the mask off shortly thereafter. It just seems like there's no way to win otherwise.

How are people handicapping Lewis's chances? I recall the post-mortem of the last election suggesting she would be a likely front runner but it doesn't seem to have come off that way.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #613
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charest could win a general election. I don't think he'd hold the vote through Alberta, but it wouldnt matter at all to his shot at being Prime Minister.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #614
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Charest could win a general election. I don't think he'd hold the vote through Alberta, but it wouldnt matter at all to his shot at being Prime Minister.
Pretty sure any winner of the CPC race will hold Alberta. Everyone there is just anti-Trudreau.

Whoever can basically break through the GTA vote (CPC leadership, governing party) is going to win the race.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:21 AM   #615
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Some bold statements from Charest in the Conservative leadership race, promising an "Alberta Accord" and to revise equalization to make it more fair for Alberta. Also said:

“Premier (Francois) Legault has been saying he wants to get Quebec off equalization. Well, you know what? We’ll be helping.”

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...deal-in-canada

With Brown out it is basically Charest vs the social conservatives.
I love that the CPC still runs on this and dum dums in Alberta still eat it up considering the current formula was drafted by the Harper government after they ran on changing it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #616
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love that the CPC still runs on this and dum dums in Alberta still eat it up considering the current formula was drafted by the Harper government after they ran on changing it.

And Harper did change it, around 2006 or so. However, the formula is ever changing...it is supposed to be reviewed every 5 years or so. JT just pushed through the last one for another 5 years and no consulting was done to amend the formula.

Harper tried to implement further changes as well but could not get an agreement. Just because Harper amended the last agreement in place does not mean it cannot be further amended.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:52 PM   #617
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
And Harper did change it, around 2006 or so. However, the formula is ever changing...it is supposed to be reviewed every 5 years or so. JT just pushed through the last one for another 5 years and no consulting was done to amend the formula.

Harper tried to implement further changes as well but could not get an agreement. Just because Harper amended the last agreement in place does not mean it cannot be further amended.
Didn't they make changes in 2011 and the West still wasn't happy about it? It's a thing they'll always dangle because it fires up the base, but they're never going to actually make meaningful changes because they know it won't win them an election if they piss off Quebec.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:38 PM   #618
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't they make changes in 2011 and the West still wasn't happy about it? It's a thing they'll always dangle because it fires up the base, but they're never going to actually make meaningful changes because they know it won't win them an election if they piss off Quebec.
The last thing the UCP wants to do is actually compete against other parties on their actual policies so they just constantly complain about Ottawa screwing them so they can run against the government of Canada.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #619
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, is the problem that the people with Conservative Party memberships are all social conservatives, and it is unrealistically skewing the demographic into being way more powerful than it should be.

I'm in a pretty conservative part of Alberta, and the people who are socially conservative kind of stick out as being unusual. They are a minority among conservatives.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:09 AM   #620
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
So, is the problem that the people with Conservative Party memberships are all social conservatives, and it is unrealistically skewing the demographic into being way more powerful than it should be.

I'm in a pretty conservative part of Alberta, and the people who are socially conservative kind of stick out as being unusual. They are a minority among conservatives.

Generally I think the people who are hard-core followers of a particular ideology are the most likely to get actively engaged in politics and buy party memberships, so yes I think that is why the social conservatives hold disproportionate sway in Conservative Party leadership races.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote