Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-01-2022, 05:29 PM   #1421
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Finally, Portugal has officially dropped the requirement for a negative test result. "Travellers on flights to or from mainland Portugal no longer need to present proof of a negative test, an EU Covid-19 certificate or a vaccination recovery certificate."

https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...el-rules/68365

At long last, 100% of countries in Europe no longer require a test result for a Canadian tourist to visit (assuming you meet the country's definition of full vaccination, when applicable).
(It's been 99% for a few months, while waiting on Portugal. They were still randomly asking for a test result 25% of the time, leading to a lot of confusion).

Globally 74% of the world's countries no longer require a test result for a Canadian tourist to visit, assuming they meet the country's definition of full vaccination, when applicable.
This number was around 50% 2 months ago.
Would have been nice if they'd done that before I paid for my non-refundable covid test at the Calgary airport. Actually, I might be able to get some of the fee back....

EDIT: Correction, I can get a refund, less a $10 fee, as long as I cancel it 24 hours+ before the test.

Now I just need Air Canada to actually get me there!!

Last edited by Amethyst; 07-02-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #1422
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a heads up for those in the Vancouver area that Nexus appointments have become available for Blaine, WA on every date in December (except Dec 25th).

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 07:25 AM   #1423
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flight travel during Covid

Well, still no passport, and my boy is supposed to fly out on Sunday. I am getting so stressed out it’s unreal.

Last edited by Ironhorse; 07-06-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:45 AM   #1424
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Well, still no passport, and my boy is supposed to fly out on Sunday. I am getting so stressed out it’s unreal.
If you can, go to Harry Hays today and see if you can get a blue "return slip" to come back tomorrow. Either way, go early to Harry Hays tomorrow and bring a new application and photos. They are only processing people flying within the next 48 hours so you should fit within that window.

I went this morning and got a "return slip" to come back tomorrow; as I mentioned in an earlier post I originally applied in person back in April. I even went as far as contacting my MP's office (someone mentioned it on reddit) and they submitted an "urgent transfer request" to print our passports by Friday. However, I don't trust they will be able to do that so I'm going back tomorrow with a new application and photos just in case. Good luck.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #1425
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are these "return slips'? I don't think I'll be able to make it there today, I'll have to go early tomorrow morning.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #1426
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a blue piece of paper that says you can return on the date specified for "service" (it also lists the days of travel that it applies to; you'll also need to bring proof of travel to show you actually need it). The people that were there this morning who didn't have those blue slips were given the option of taking one and coming back the next day, or waiting in the queue today. I chose the former (since there seemed to be a lot of people in line) and will take my chances tomorrow.

I believe it is part of the new triage system that they've implemented in Calgary (and Edmonton) recently, prioritizing people traveling in the next 48 hours. The bad news is that if you applied months ago, you may be SOL because they are focusing on people that need them urgently whether they applied before or not.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #1427
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update: just got a call from the passport office and I can pick up my passports tomorrow! Fingers crossed!!!

Ironhorse -- I will send you a PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #1428
Rjcsjc62
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quick Question for anybody who has been to europe recently. For all of the countries that I am visiting, all of the Government/covid restriction info I have read indicates that I only need to provide proof of vaccination. No testing etc.

But what do they need for proof? I have the Alberta documents printed off on paper, but do they need something like our old QR codes from 2021? Do they have a similar app and code that everyone carries on their cell phones?
Rjcsjc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:55 AM   #1429
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjcsjc62 View Post
Quick Question for anybody who has been to europe recently. For all of the countries that I am visiting, all of the Government/covid restriction info I have read indicates that I only need to provide proof of vaccination. No testing etc.

But what do they need for proof? I have the Alberta documents printed off on paper, but do they need something like our old QR codes from 2021? Do they have a similar app and code that everyone carries on their cell phones?
Paper copies are fine. Nobody in Europe will be able to scan our QR codes. Canada never did end up integrating with the EU Digital certificate system.

Do you have the newer 'Canada' proof of vaccination? The one with the Canada logo in the top right....

https://covidrecords.alberta.ca/home

You can just show them that. The main thing is just showing something with 3 doses on it (assuming your second dose was more than 9 months ago).

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 07-07-2022, 12:31 PM   #1430
Rjcsjc62
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Paper copies are fine. Nobody in Europe will be able to scan our QR codes. Canada never did end up integrating with the EU Digital certificate system.

Do you have the newer 'Canada' proof of vaccination? The one with the Canada logo in the top right....

https://covidrecords.alberta.ca/home

You can just show them that. The main thing is just showing something with 3 doses on it (assuming your second dose was more than 9 months ago).
Thank you very much, this link was perfect.

One more question for you... Do I need to deal with the "Re-open EU" app? I have been reading conflicting things. It appeared to me that this app was maybe more relevant in 2021 and earlier in this year, but is it effectively obsolete now for a Canadian Citizen?
Rjcsjc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:29 PM   #1431
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjcsjc62 View Post
Thank you very much, this link was perfect.

One more question for you... Do I need to deal with the "Re-open EU" app? I have been reading conflicting things. It appeared to me that this app was maybe more relevant in 2021 and earlier in this year, but is it effectively obsolete now for a Canadian Citizen?
No, that app was just handy for those wanting information on travelling from one European country to another. It listed the entry requirements for travelling from say, Italy to France. Europe itself has never had any kind of app requirement for entry or anything like that.

During the pandemic, a couple of countries had their own apps, kind of like our ArriveCAN. France had their TousAntiCovid app for example. You were supposed to upload your proof of vaccination into the app, but it was never compatible with our proof of vaccination. But it was also never really a big deal, you could always just show your paper proof of vaccination for entry without using the app. Although I think briefly, you had to e-mail your proof of vaccination and they would do it for you.

Occasionally there were also times during the pandemic where a country, like France, may have technically 'required' using their app to get into tourist attractions, but most Canadians reported just showing their paper proof of vaccination to be allowed in anyways.

But you won't find anything like that in Europe now. I guess Spain might still have their SpTH app for generating a QR code upon entry but that's about it.

Just show your proof of vaccination upon entry (for the remaining countries in Europe that still require it), and once inside the country, it's essentially back to 2019.

Last edited by cmyden; 07-07-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:52 PM   #1432
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Passport update: with some awesome help from CP's tvp2003, I was able to get in to see a Counter clerk at Harry Hayes today. Got there just after 7 am, and the room was already packed (they also do Social Insurance numbers etc there). They seemed to only be processing people who had blue/white "come back" slips and travelling in the next few days, and sending others away by 9 am with more slips for future days (likely not a good long term solution). Once I got inside the actual service office, the Counter guy did some investigating into our application from May, and eventually came back saying it wasn't even in the system. Thankfully I was prepared with a whole new application and new set of pictures ready to go. They processed that one for me, waived the rush and transfer fees, and I should be able to pick it up by the end of tomorrow.

All in all, once you get inside to the service office /area everything was very competent, courteous and professional. But in order to get in there... holy hell.

Thanks again tvp2003!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 10:35 PM   #1433
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Glad it worked out! My pickup got delayed until tomorrow afternoon (seriously!?!), so I’ll be heading back there as well.

IMO they should just stop taking in new applications (unless you’re travelling in the next week), at least until they get caught up from the backlog from March/April.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:34 PM   #1434
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Back from my trip, and still no passports waiting for us.

I don't know if I will pursue faster processing, as we aren't travelling any time soon. Maybe we will have them by 2023.
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #1435
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambé View Post
Back from my trip, and still no passports waiting for us.

I don't know if I will pursue faster processing, as we aren't travelling any time soon. Maybe we will have them by 2023.
I've been seeing such a wide variety of reports lately for how long it took, with no real correlation to when the person sent it in by mail.

Overall, I'd say I'm seeing most people report they received it 12-14 weeks after mailing it in.

6 weeks
* May 27: mailed applications via registered Express Post
* June 29: credit card processed
* July 8: passport received with all supporting documents returned.

10 weeks
I received the child's passport yesterday by Canada post. I sent out the application on April 24th.

12 weeks
April 7th by mail. My CC was charged on June 6th. I then received a call saying they needed more information about the other parent ( about a 2 week delay for them to get the information)
July 4th we received his passport !

~16 weeks and still counting
- I applied in March for my son’s passport. Credit card charged May 30. Still waiting
- I’m also still waiting from the end of March

Old 07-15-2022, 06:32 PM   #1436
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I've been seeing such a wide variety of reports lately for how long it took, with no real correlation to when the person sent it in by mail.

Overall, I'd say I'm seeing most people report they received it 12-14 weeks after mailing it in.

6 weeks
* May 27: mailed applications via registered Express Post
* June 29: credit card processed
* July 8: passport received with all supporting documents returned.

10 weeks
I received the child's passport yesterday by Canada post. I sent out the application on April 24th.

12 weeks
April 7th by mail. My CC was charged on June 6th. I then received a call saying they needed more information about the other parent ( about a 2 week delay for them to get the information)
July 4th we received his passport !

~16 weeks and still counting
- I applied in March for my son’s passport. Credit card charged May 30. Still waiting
- I’m also still waiting from the end of March
Ya. We went to Service Canada in Brooks on April 28th or something. Submitted an online update request in early June, and haven't heard peep.

Now we wait. I will update this thread as soon as they arrive!
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #1437
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The anecdotal reports you provided are consistent with what I’ve read and seen — the processing backlog started in March, and if you mailed in your application you may not even have it back yet because they got swamped with applications (between mail and Service Canada in-person submissions — Quebec handles both for people living in Alberta).

If you submitted in early April you may have received it by now but by no means is it guaranteed. Late April/May submissions are starting to be closer to “regular” processing times.

My guess is that they’ve slowed if not stopped processing a lot of applications from that March to early April time period, on the assumption that anyone who urgently needed a passport went down to a passport office like Harry Hays and got them transferred (like me) or cancelled entirely (like Ironhorse) due to “urgent” travel needs. How they manage that backlog going forward will be interesting but I do find it upsetting that they are processing more recent applications (sent in May) while letting earlier ones languish. Not cool.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:52 PM   #1438
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Passport Canada seemingly ignoring people who submitted their passports in regular fashion in favor of all those last second "urgent" applications is mind boggling.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #1439
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nexus appointments are available in Sweetgrass, Montana in January and February 2023.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:33 AM   #1440
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Nexus appointments are available in Sweetgrass, Montana in January and February 2023.

A thousand thanks, just got interview for my wife and I in January. This is going to really help as I fly to the US every freaking month.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote