Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #2761
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Can you expand on Dark? I watched the first two episodes and kind of want to keep going, but struggle with dubbed voices. Worth it to keep going?
It's best watched with subtitles as the German accents and tones add to the atmosphere. From what I have read some people that have watched it twice dubbed and with subtitles say that dubbed version loses the mood and atmosphere. Also the German actors are fantastic and supposedly the mediocre dubbing at times takes away from their performances. The hardest part is the first 1/4 of the show where you are trying to name associate characters because there are so many and they are all intertwined but once you get familiar it starts to roll. Then again I know a guy at work that had to watch it dubbed because he found it easier to follow but I would only recommend this if you are having a hard time following things.

The article below explains it better than me in regards to why subtitles are better for this show;

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...rman-subtitles
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:53 AM   #2762
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Can you expand on Dark? I watched the first two episodes and kind of want to keep going, but struggle with dubbed voices. Worth it to keep going?
I really enjoyed Dark, the first couple episodes are a slow burn because theres lots of characters and inter-personal relationships, but once you get the hang of them it gets really good.

I watched it dubbed the first time and didnt have a problem with it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #2763
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I really enjoyed Dark, the first couple episodes are a slow burn because theres lots of characters and inter-personal relationships, but once you get the hang of them it gets really good.

I watched it dubbed the first time and didnt have a problem with it.
Really is there no better language when incensed than German? There's something about that language when discussions get heated. Makes for higher tension and darker mood.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #2764
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really is there no better language when incensed than German? There's something about that language when discussions get heated. Makes for higher tension and darker mood.
How can you tell the difference from normal conversation?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #2765
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Another vote for Dark. Really enjoyed it. The long wait for season 2 is killing me.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #2766
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Outlaw / King tonight! Quite good. A little too gory for me. Very reminiscent of Braveheart of course.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #2767
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Just finished watching the Vietnam war documentary. It’s damn good. I never really knew the ins and outs of that particular conflict but the hubris involved resulted in the unseeded loss of a lot of lives. It’s long but does a good job of explaining what went on. Understanding the past is key to the future

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #2768
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Just finished watching the Vietnam war documentary. It’s damn good. I never really knew the ins and outs of that particular conflict but the hubris involved resulted in the unseeded loss of a lot of lives. It’s long but does a good job of explaining what went on. Understanding the past is key to the future
I found it disturbing how many people in high office or command positions knew that it was a pointless and unwinnable war and in order to not look foolish they just kept throwing human lives at it in hopes of saving face.

Saving face.

Unreal. Those actions should be equivalent to Treason.

What should really chap their ass is that all those long-haired loser Hippies that you had Police bludgeon and harass? They were right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #2769
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

On another Netflix note, I decided that I'd give 'The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina' a try.

I did not realize its another series based on Archie comics and I've only seen the first episode and its not really anything to write home about thus far.

Why did I decide to give it a try you might ask? Well, its press clippings were impressive.

Quote:
Netflix and Warner Bros. are feeling the wrath of satanists.

The Satanic Temple is suing Netflix and Warner Brothers for $150 million, saying the companies infringed on its copyrights, violated its trademark, and caused injury to its business reputation, according to court documents filed on Thursday in a New York district court.

At the center of the controversy is Baphomet, described in the court documents as "an androgynous goat-headed deity." A statue of the satanic god surrounded by children is featured in the Netflix series "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina."

The characters of the show, who worship the "Dark Lord" or Satan, engage in cannibalism, necromancy, murder and torture, among other nefarious activities.

The Satanic Temple, on the other hand, "does not promote evil and instead holds to the basic principle that undue suffering is bad, and that which reduces suffering is good," the organization claims. It hails Satan as a "rebel against God's authority, rather than an evil being."

"We're so inundated with this anti-Satan fiction that a lot of people think its superfluous to pursue to a claim like this at all."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/08/the-...0-million.html

I for one am looking forward to following this lawsuit. Do the Satanists have a leg to stand on? Can one imply a form of Trademark Infringement within the realm of Satanism?

The Judge is certainly going to have his hands full with this one. I hope they filed the suit in Manitowoc County, that would make for endless entertainment.

I didnt even know there was such a thing as 'The Satanic Temple' and thought that they'd probably just be glad for the press. Mind you I'd probably want the $150M (which I doubt they'll get anything close to) rather than some column inches.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #2770
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post

The thing that pissed me off the most is learning that Ho Chi Minh was a great admirer of America and turned to them first for help in gaining independance, but was turned down because of the US/France relationship. America drove the Vietnamese into the arms of Communism when they should have worked with them

Vietnam did recover very well and now is only communist in name with one of the fastest growing economies on the planet. But imagine if the US had stood with them instead and gotten France to withdraw early (which they knew was going to happen anyways). No war, no million+ dead Vietnamese, no destroyed infrastructure. Instead a likely democratic ally in SE Asia that would have turned into an economic powerhouse. So much potential wasted
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #2771
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wife and I have been going gung ho on all these horror shows on netflix (haunted, sabrina, hill house) and not gonna lie- get a cold sweat walking around the house at night and dreams are a little messed up.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #2772
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I for one am looking forward to following this lawsuit. Do the Satanists have a leg to stand on? Can one imply a form of Trademark Infringement within the realm of Satanism?
They definitely don't portray Satanism like The Satanic Temple presents itself, but I don't know if they'd have a legal leg to stand on, it being a fictional universe and all.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #2773
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Medal of Honor looks good
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #2774
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Medal of Honor looks good
I usually hate Docudramas, but apparently this one is pretty good. I'll be checking it out for sure.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #2775
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
They definitely don't portray Satanism like The Satanic Temple presents itself, but I don't know if they'd have a legal leg to stand on, it being a fictional universe and all.
First off the TST are not actually Satanists, they are a bunch of trouble making idiots. People belonging to the actual Church Of Satan are really chill people. Anyhow Lucien Greaves and his merry band of idiots are going to lose badly. Here is what the actual Church Of Satan had to say.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.churchofsatan.com/regarding-the-netflix-sabrina-lawsuit/amp/
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #2776
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooo, trouble brewing in the Satanist community!

Why does this feel like a Southpark episode?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #2777
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
First off the TST are not actually Satanists, they are a bunch of trouble making idiots. People belonging to the actual Church Of Satan are really chill people. Anyhow Lucien Greaves and his merry band of idiots are going to lose badly. Here is what the actual Church Of Satan had to say.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.churchofsatan.com/regarding-the-netflix-sabrina-lawsuit/amp/
No body is actually a Satanist, at best they are atheist hedonists that enjoy screwing with the religious. Only a christian could believe that somebody would actually devote themselves to worshiping the embodiment of evil.

The truth is they think the God thing is stupid, they think it is good to take pleasure in acting on their emotions, and they kind of enjoy getting a reaction out of the people who use fallacious reasoning to chastise their beliefs.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #2778
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Obviously the 'not a lawyer' disclaimer applies, but I think they do have a legal leg to stand on here. When you look at the two statues, and then look at previous depictions of Baphamet, it's clear that the Sabrina statue is inspired by the TST one to a point that it borders on a direct copy, rather than simply drawing on the same source material. Works of art (including sculpture) are automatically covered by copyright from the moment they're created. You can't simply copy another piece of art and stage it in your TV production. Set decorators generally get sign-off on everything they use in a production that might be covered by copyright, for this exact reason: because if you don't, you open yourself up to copyright infringement.

Last edited by octothorp; 11-12-2018 at 12:02 AM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #2779
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are religious symbols copyrighted normally? Is that even a thing? That’s why I don’t get the lawsuit.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #2780
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are religious symbols copyrighted normally? Is that even a thing? That’s why I don’t get the lawsuit.
But they're not arguing that it's covered because it's a religious symbol. It's a work of art that they commissioned; whether it was commissioned to represent a church, or to represent a satirical organization, or for a private collector, it doesn't matter. It's still an 'original work of authorship', which gives it copyright protection.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote