Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #1021
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Next you are going to say he enjoyed being smashed about and his plan was to hurt Kassian's knuckles.

If he was aware of the possibility that Kassian was going try to light him up he either should be in a position to tie up Kassian's arms or go full turtle.

And avoid drawing a penalty, which was his sole intention the whole time?

Damn, now I’m the Kassian and you have roped me in just like Tkachuk did.

Touché.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #1022
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Kassian played for Carolina this would have barely been a blip on the radar
Old 01-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #1023
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I just learned that Zack Kassian was a first round pick. 13th overall in fact. What a waste of a first rounder. For comparisons sake the 14th pick that year was dman Dmitri Kulikov who has more career points. The Buffalo Sabres really are the Oilers of the East.

It does explain Kassian's strange attitude. Between his draft status and jamming in McDavid set ups he really does think he is a star on the level of Tkachuk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Kassian was drafted right at the start of the end of the era where dopey teams were still picking guys based on fighting skill and size. Took a few years for it to stop completely (see the Flames picking Hunter Smith in the 2nd round in 2014).
And he was a good junior player.

He had one of the highest PPG in the OHL for draft eligible players in that draft. And he was a big mean bugger that had a lot of skill.

I actually don't hate his skill set as a player. Can skate okay, has some skill, and is pretty physical.

Issue with him is he never had the brain to go with the tool set.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-15-2020 at 12:15 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #1024
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If Kassian played for Carolina this would have barely been a blip on the radar
Any time one of your best 3 players gets rag-dolled by anyone it would be big news with any team.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #1025
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any time one of your best 3 players gets rag-dolled by anyone it would be big news with any team.
Ask yourself whether it's logical to be upset at the player doing the ragdolling or the player getting ragdolled.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #1026
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjolg View Post
wills just tweeted out there is now audio from flames players, lucic, rinaldo and others that they'll do what is needed to stand up for teammates. Just saw the tweet haven't heard myself
https://twitter.com/user/status/1217497017242603520
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #1027
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The lack of empathy is overwhelming.

Imagine the CP reaction if some Flame (Glencross would have seemed a likely candidate) would have grabbed Burrows and beat the living ##### out of him?

Tkachuk has to learn how to turtle better? His being rag-dolled has a high risk factor of injury.

Any NHL player running taking runs has to be aware that there should be pushback coming no matter how legal the hit may be.
Quote:
Next you are going to say he enjoyed being smashed about and his plan was to hurt Kassian's knuckles.

If he was aware of the possibility that Kassian was going try to light him up he either should be in a position to tie up Kassian's arms or go full turtle.
I can almost guarantee to you that Tkachuk knew exactly what he was doing, knew exactly what Kassian's response was going to be, and protected himself as much as he knew he needed to.

I bet you he actually did laugh about the whole thing at intermission.

And based on Tkachuk's response being to go out and hit Kassian just as hard the next opportunity he had I don't think he was phased by the whole thing at all.

It's just those with fragile masculinity that are worried about somebody "rag-dolling" someone and how it impacts their own ego.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #1028
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I can almost guarantee to you that Tkachuk knew exactly what he was doing, knew exactly what Kassian's response was going to be, and protected himself as much as he knew he needed to.

I bet you he actually did laugh about the whole thing at intermission.

And based on Tkachuk's response being to go out and hit Kassian just as hard the next opportunity he had I don't think he was phased by the whole thing at all.

It's just those with fragile masculinity that are worried about somebody "rag-dolling" someone and how it impacts their own ego.
ka-boom

great post
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #1029
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Here's the soundbite from Looch. There's also similar from Gio and Rinaldo this morning.

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status...19003998081027

My interpretation of this is, "I'll let those guys up there do all the talking they want but rest assured they wont like the outcome if they cross the line".
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #1030
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
...Finally, don’t forget the game after Jan 29 is the Feb 1 game back here, where we get the last change.
There is actually a bit of an eerie vibe in how the schedule is unfolding that reminds me of Vancouver and Colorado in 2004:

· 18 February: Steve Moore catches Markus Naslund with a really bad blindside hit. Vancouver HC Marc Crawford called it a "cheap shot by a young kid," and was livid that there was no penalty on the play. Vancouver wins the game 1–0. Local broadcasters opined that Steve Moore was now a "marked man." Brad May said to reporters that "there is a bounty on his head." Todd Bertuzzi publicly called Steve Moore "a piece of s***."

· 3 March: The Canucks return to Colorado for a game two weeks later. Bryan Allen roughs up Steve Moore, and Peter Worrell and Wade Brookbank fight. Otherwise, the game was without incident after the League warned both teams about taking matters into their own hands. Gary Bettman was in attendance that night; Colorado wins the game 5-4 in OT, and there is a sense among some that retribution had been served.

· 8 March: This is the first game in Vancouver after the Steve Moore hit on Naslund, and a third game between Colorado and Vancouver in three-week span. Steve Moore fights Matt Cooke in the first period, but by the end of the period Moore had also scored a goal to put Colorado ahead 5–0. Vancouver was embarrassed on home ice, and during the second intermission Coach Crawford purportedly sanctioned violent retribution on Moore, prompting Bertuzzi to stalk him around the ice, punch him on the back of the head, effectively knocking Moore unconscious. The score was 8–2 at that point. Moore suffered three fractured vertabrae, was in the hospital for five months and never played hockey again.

I would be lying if I said I was not worried about the next two games. Zack Kassian is an unhinged maniac, and if things start to get out of hand in the course of such a short turnaround between games, this could get bad. Someone could get seriously hurt. The Moore/Bertuzzi saga was not just one game. It was the unfolding of three games in the space of three weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #1031
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There is actually a bit of an eerie vibe in how the schedule is unfolding that reminds me of Vancouver and Colorado in 2004:

· 18 February: Steve Moore catches Markus Naslund with a really bad blindside hit. Vancouver HC Marc Crawford called it a "cheap shot by a young kid," and was livid that there was no penalty on the play. Vancouver wins the game 1–0. Local broadcasters opined that Steve Moore was now a "marked man." Brad May said to reporters that "there is a bounty on his head." Todd Bertuzzi publicly called Steve Moore "a piece of s***."

· 3 March: The Canucks return to Colorado for a game two weeks later. Bryan Allen roughs up Steve Moore, and Peter Worrell and Wade Brookbank fight. Otherwise, the game was without incident after the League warned both teams about taking matters into their own hands. Gary Bettman was in attendance that night; Colorado wins the game 5-4 in OT, and there is a sense among some that retribution had been served.

· 8 March: This is the first game in Vancouver after the Steve Moore hit on Naslund, and a third game between Colorado and Vancouver in three-week span. Steve Moore fights Matt Cooke in the first period, but by the end of the period Moore had also scored a goal to put Colorado ahead 5–0. Vancouver was embarrassed on home ice, and during the second intermission Coach Crawford purportedly sanctioned violent retribution on Moore, prompting Bertuzzi to stalk him around the ice, punch him on the back of the head, effectively knocking Moore unconscious. The score was 8–2 at that point. Moore suffered three fractured vertabrae, was in the hospital for five months and never played hockey again.

I would be lying if I said I was not worried about the next two games. Zack Kassian is an unhinged maniac, and if things start to get out of hand in the course of such a short turnaround between games, this could get bad. Someone could get seriously hurt. The Moore/Bertuzzi saga was not just one game. It was the unfolding of three games in the space of three weeks.
Yeah, I have to think Ward will reunite the Tkachuk - Lindholm - Lucic line that we saw for a brief spell earlier this year because it seems like a given at this stage that the Oilers are going to do something Oilerish.

I also have to imagine the NHL will be sending a warning to both sides prior to the game(s).

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-15-2020 at 12:24 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #1032
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It is time to move on.

What pisses me off is the Flames lost their follow-up game to the BofA and the Oilers won theirs. Right back where we started.
I agree. But if they win tomorrow all is forgiven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #1033
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with you. I get that vibe too. NHL could have diffused this with a 4 game suspension.

It is the exact same situation. One team over reacting over a borderline hit and the media feeding into the frenzy.

I'm pretty sure that Kassian will try and hit Tkachuk if he's in a vulnerable position. He will be hunting him all game. Which you could argue is what Tkachuk was doing, but while i'm sure Tkachuk wanted to plant Kassian on his ass, he didn't want to hurt him, Tkachuk's goal was to goad Kassian into a penalty which is exactly what he did. Kassian won't be thinking the same way, his intent will be to hurt Tkachuk.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #1034
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It does't help that the media keeps pouring gasoline on it, especially from the circle jerk up north
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #1035
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone290 View Post
It does't help that the media keeps pouring gasoline on it, especially from the circle jerk up north
This is the biggest thing.

It was the Vancouver media that got the fan base so riled up that the Canucks felt like they needed to do something to Moore.

Especially after the first game where there were still calls he didn't answer the bell properly, and they didn't get proper retribution.

Edmonton media is doing the same thing here by whining so much about it, treating it like the dirtiest hockey play ever, and putting not even a fraction of blame on Kassian for his own actions.

Actually don't think the Flames media should have asked any questions about it today either. Team has a game tonight - focus on that.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-15-2020 at 12:43 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #1036
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure one of, if not both Tkachuck and Kassian will be getting some minor penalties (deserved or not) in the first period, just so the officials can take the air out of the hostilities and maintain control of the game.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #1037
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Thought the comments today were a little odd. Rinaldo, I believe him. He'll be right there to fight if called upon. Lucic? Seemed almost hesitant.

Honestly though this reminds me of a year (or two?) ago. Big BoA tilt, Tkachuk in the middle of it with Kassian. People all pumped for the next meeting. And it was a dud. Nothing happened. Flames lost. No dust ups. Second half of a B2B also. same as what will happen this year.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #1038
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #1039
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Thought the comments today were a little odd. Rinaldo, I believe him. He'll be right there to fight if called upon. Lucic? Seemed almost hesitant.

Honestly though this reminds me of a year (or two?) ago. Big BoA tilt, Tkachuk in the middle of it with Kassian. People all pumped for the next meeting. And it was a dud. Nothing happened. Flames lost. No dust ups. Second half of a B2B also. same as what will happen this year.
IMO it sounded like it was all discussed in the room what to say and to keep hush, all 3 that i heard, Gio, Rinaldo and Lucic basically used the same words about having each others backs etc.
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #1040
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJolg View Post
IMO it sounded like it was all discussed in the room what to say and to keep hush, all 3 that i heard, Gio, Rinaldo and Lucic basically used the same words about having each others backs etc.
That seems likely. Given how many pauses and "umms" Lucic had he was probably trying to remember the script.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote