Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #261
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Dougie Hamilton for Mark Stone would be an awful, awful trade.

Dougie Hamilton is an elite top pairing RHD.

Mark Stone is a high-end RW.

Defender >>> Winger.

Defence is a much more important position, especially when talking about the top pairing.

I want Mark Stone, but if we trade Hamilton for Stone we lose that deal.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #262
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Mark Stone is a pipe dream. Completing a trade for him strikes me as more unlikely than acquiring John Tavares as a UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #263
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Hamilton is the only dman I wouldn’t move for Stone. Count me in for a Brodie + deal.

Brodie + Bennett + prospect is probably the likely package
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #264
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Defender >>> Winger.

Defence is a much more important position, especially when talking about the top pairing.

Mark Stone is an elite defensively responsible winger who will be an RFA. He also is beginning to be a PPG player that doesn't have much holes in his game. He has the same if not more value than Hamilton.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #265
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Defender >>> Winger.

I agree that the Sens need to add.

1) Because like you said, defensemen more valuable than wingers;
2) Hamilton has more control, while Stone is a RFA (guess this depends on if he is signed and term);
3) Melnyk won't want to pay up for Stone long term and Hamilton is on a good value contract;
4) Because Dorian has lost every trade he has made and Treliving absolutely cannot be the first to lose or even draw with Dorian in a trade.

I've been thinking about how this would work and I think at the very least, Treliving has to get at least the Sens second 1st round pick this year as a sweetener (Hamilton for Stone and 22nd overall).
Old 06-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #266
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Defender >>> Winger.

I would easily trade Hamilton for Iginla in his prime. A defender is not always >>> than a winger.

Also, why did you use the word elite for Hamilton, but just call Stone high-end? Stone is currently the better player at his position.

This trade is pretty even.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #267
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
I would easily trade Hamilton for Iginla in his prime. A defender is not always >>> than a winger.

Also, why did you use the word elite for Hamilton, but just call Stone high-end? Stone is currently the better player at his position.

By the time Iginla was 26-years old he had won the Art Ross Trophy, the Maurice Richard Trophy, an Olympic gold medal, he had scored +50-goals, and had three +30-goal campaigns. Mark Stone is NOT Jarome Iginla. Not even close.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-19-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #268
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Iginla in his prime >>>> Stone
Iginla in his prime >>> Hamilton
Iginla in his prime > Stone + Hamilton

That being said...

Hamilton > Stone
Old 06-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #269
frodo_t_baggins
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Jerome Iginla.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #270
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo_t_baggins View Post
Autocorrect. Fixed.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #271
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary's depth of players capable of playing right D would certainly help compensate the loss of Hamilton.

Giordano - Brodie
Kulak - Hamonic
Välimäki - Stone
Kylington - Andersson
Högström - Fox
Old 06-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #272
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Intersting little quote from Treliving:

Quote:
Treliving:..At the end of the day, would I like to add a top-six forward, preferably one who shoots right? One hundred per cent. OK, there are two ways of going about it. One is you make a trade. People will say, ‘OK, you’ve got extra defencemen,’ which is true, but if you move a bunch of them, now you’ve created holes elsewhere on your roster. Soon, the chorus becomes ‘now you need another defenceman.’ So, you’ve got to be careful.

The other way is to sign a player. If you look at the free-agent list, everybody knows the big names out there. We’re looking more at players that are maybe not the sexy names. Maybe there’s a guy nobody’s heard of, but who is in the right age bracket, where there’s been a history of success on his resume, and we think he’s ready to pop. Will he? Don’t know. But our homework has shown that maybe he is. Is that a better bet? Maybe it is.

https://theathletic.com/398936/2018/...alth-and-more/

A couple names that come to mind, fitting that bill are Austin Czarnik and Seth Griffith

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #273
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

You go get Panarin. Damn it all to hell. If that doesn't panarin out, then go dumpster diving but man Treliving, if you can land that guy, we good man, we good.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #274
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The number of posters who STILL think building around wingers is a smart decision is unbelievable. Flames fans are obsessed with points. Speed and offence are super important, more than ever, but the game is STILL dictated by centres and defencemen. Having your three best players as wingers is about the stupidest way to build a hockey team I can think of. The Flames are already in tough with their two best players as wingers. At least at this point there is hope that Hamilton could become more impactful than he has been the last two seasons and give Tkachuck a run for his money as second most important player. Trading him for Stone is about the silliest thing management could do.

Look at Gaudreau. He is the best player on the team and yet it is so easy for teams to neutralize him when they really want to. You can cut off his side of the ice and force him into difficult positions where he has little room to work. Ovechkin really is the only winger I can think of that can overcome game plans against him, and even then he has a pretty good centre to work with.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #275
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He was the best forward in the game...big difference

Let me know when stone wins the art ross and rocket
Old 06-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #276
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hamilton+ for Karlson & Stone
Old 06-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #277
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
By the time Iginla was 26-years old he had won the Art Ross Trophy, the Maurice Richard Trophy, an Olympic gold medal, he had scored +50-goals, and had three +30-goal campaigns. Mark Stone is NOT Jerome Iginla. Not even close.
Where did I say that Stone was the same as Iginla??? I'm just not a fan of seeing all the Defender is >>>>>> winger, when it all comes down to the individual player/contract situation/age.

Stone is a great, all-around player who is currently better than Hamilton.
Hamilton is excellent for his age, has great potential, and is on a nice contract. I think this trade could make sense is if Stone was willing to sign an extension.

If Treliving was dealing with a good GM, I think Hamilton = Stone in a trade, but I think he could get Stone + 2nd for Hamilton, from the Sens.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #278
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
even then he has a pretty good centre to work with.
Understatement. Kuznetsov produced at a 109 pt pace in last year's playoffs, a rate higher than Ovechkin, and even Crosby and Malkin the year before (all three produced at a 92pt pace in their respective runs). Kuznetsov's run last year was epic.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #279
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Intersting little quote from Treliving:

Quote:
Treliving:..At the end of the day, would I like to add a top-six forward, preferably one who shoots right? One hundred per cent. OK, there are two ways of going about it. One is you make a trade. People will say, ‘OK, you’ve got extra defencemen,’ which is true, but if you move a bunch of them, now you’ve created holes elsewhere on your roster. Soon, the chorus becomes ‘now you need another defenceman.’ So, you’ve got to be careful.

The other way is to sign a player. If you look at the free-agent list, everybody knows the big names out there. We’re looking more at players that are maybe not the sexy names. Maybe there’s a guy nobody’s heard of, but who is in the right age bracket, where there’s been a history of success on his resume, and we think he’s ready to pop. Will he? Don’t know. But our homework has shown that maybe he is. Is that a better bet? Maybe it is.

https://theathletic.com/398936/2018/...alth-and-more/

A couple names that come to mind, fitting that bill are Austin Czarnik and Seth Griffith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
If Treliving does make a trade for a forward I think it will be a name that many will feel is underwhelming. I think everyone is after the next Karlsson in Vegas. Looking for that hidden gem that just hasn't been given the opportunity to play a bigger role.

In fact the Flames did a move like this many years ago. When Marc Savard was acquired he was playing behind some big names in New York but still put decent numbers (relative to the era).
It seems to me most people on here are looking for that big name forward but I'd love to find that gem like a Savard - trouble is most teams are looking to do the same.

Also the Flames' pro scouting hasn't really inspired that kind of confidence judged on the pro players they've acquired in recent history.
Hopefully it means they're due.
I totally agree(d).

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 06-19-2018 at 06:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #280
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where did I say that Stone was the same as Iginla??? I'm just not a fan of seeing all the Defender is >>>>>> winger, when it all comes down to the individual player/contract situation/age.

Stone is a great, all-around player who is currently better than Hamilton.
Hamilton is excellent for his age, has great potential, and is on a nice contract. I think this trade could make sense is if Stone was willing to sign an extension.

If Treliving was dealing with a good GM, I think Hamilton = Stone in a trade, but I think he could get Stone + 2nd for Hamilton, from the Sens.
How is Stone better? Their career highs in goals and points are within spiting distance of each other and one guy plays defence FFS.

Hamilton just lead the entire league for goal scoring at his position.

Last edited by dino7c; 06-19-2018 at 06:34 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread